Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Panoramic sunroof exploded on C43

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2020, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C43
Panoramic sunroof exploded on C43

Hi there.

Two days ago my panoramic sunroof just exploded and shattered without warning. Obviously this was a bit of a shock for myself and my son in the passenger seat. Fortunately we didn't get much glass on us as most of it fell outwards. I have seen on this forum that this is not the first time that this has happened to other owners. I have been trying to search the forum to find out what answers Mercedes have given. We have been to the dealer who have contacted Mercedes head office, and they are not interested in any warranty claim. Instead they have quoted us £2700 to repair it!
I read that in America there are current court cases about this issue. Does anyone know of anything similar in the UK or had a good outcome from their dealer?
Hopefully you guy's can help

Thanks

Old 11-19-2020, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,448 Likes on 956 Posts
No more MB:(
Wow, glad you and your son are okay! Hope you get proper resolution.
Old 11-20-2020, 08:30 AM

Received 143 Likes on 118 Posts
2016 E400 Coupe (C207)
It's not just Mercedes-Benz; Consumer Reports did a story a while back about exploding glass roofs in cars across multiple brands.
Old 03-09-2021, 06:41 PM

2001 C240
I just had the exploding glass sunroof happen to me yesterday on my 2001 C240 while driving at 55mph on the highway. MB dealer says there is no recall or warranty for this $1500 issue. All owners who experience this should fill out the NHTSA safety concern form on their website. If enough owners report the problem to NHTSA, Mercedes will be forced to pay for this safety defect.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:55 PM

Received 201 Likes on 165 Posts
2016 S550C4, 2005 SL500
Originally Posted by Guy7469
Hi there. Two days ago my panoramic sunroof just exploded and shattered without warning. Obviously this was a bit of a shock for myself and my son in the passenger seat. Fortunately we didn't get much glass on us as most of it fell outwards. I have seen on this forum that this is not the first time that this has happened to other owners. I have been trying to search the forum to find out what answers Mercedes have given. We have been to the dealer who have contacted Mercedes head office, and they are not interested in any warranty claim. Instead they have quoted us £2700 to repair it!
I read that in America there are current court cases about this issue. Does anyone know of anything similar in the UK or had a good outcome from their dealer?
Hopefully you guy's can help. Thanks
Guy, Something similar happened to me in my 2016 S550 coupe. While it didn't explode, the roof glass had major cracks suddenly appear throughout.
When it happened, I was driving on a 3 lane smooth highway with no other cars around. So it wasn't caused by a rock tossed off another vehicle's wheel.
My local dealer looked at it, took pictures (as did I) and sent it to Mercedes for Warranty approval. Mercedes refused and I eventually had to use my insurance. My insurer covered it with no questions. In fact, their glass installer did the work at the dealership and had the dealership technicians do all of the interior removals & re-installations.
The dealer paid for my insurance deductible as a "good will" gesture. But I think they paid it because they knew that it was a stress fracture and there had been no impact point noted.
So in the end it didn't cost me anything but it cost my insurance company and the dealer what should have been a Mercedes warranty claim.
Good luck!
Old 04-07-2021, 11:51 PM

GLK250
panoramic sunroof on 2014 GLK shattered spontaneously

The panoramic sunroof on my 2014 GLK also shattered as I was driving home from work. No other cars around, no rocks, no previous damage, not hot weather or cold. It just sounded like a gun shot. Very scary. I was lucky the glass did not fall into the car. It appears that the glass shattered upwards. When I checked it out, there was glass shards in the rubber seal surrounding the glass on ALL FOUR SIDES on the outside of the vehicle. I was going 65mph so when it shattered there was enough force in that instance to propel the glass forward.

Glass shards along front rubber seal:

Looking at the glass from the inside:

I feel blessed that the glass did not fall into the vehicle.
Old 11-23-2021, 05:12 PM

Mercedes C200-AMG-Line Prenium pack
Same to me ! Exploding sunroof on C43

Originally Posted by Guy7469
Hi there.

Two days ago my panoramic sunroof just exploded and shattered without warning. Obviously this was a bit of a shock for myself and my son in the passenger seat. Fortunately we didn't get much glass on us as most of it fell outwards. I have seen on this forum that this is not the first time that this has happened to other owners. I have been trying to search the forum to find out what answers Mercedes have given. We have been to the dealer who have contacted Mercedes head office, and they are not interested in any warranty claim. Instead they have quoted us £2700 to repair it!
Hopefully you guy's can help

Thanks
Hi Guy 7469
Exactly the same happened to me. I also own a C43. Whilst driving on a smooth motorway on a clear day, all of a sudden with a bang the sunroof explode showering me with glass. I was only 10min away from my destination so continued until I got there. During this time continuous trickles of small glass onto me. Fortunately I had a cap & thick jacket. Car was towed to Merdedes and the got back to me today, similar response to yours. Warranty does not cover it, Merdedes don’t see it as a faulty part or a design fault, and quoted me a bill in excess of £2k ! What outcome did you finally get? Did Merdedes make a compromise? Did they contribute to your bill?
please let me know as I am at the very early stage of this dispute over exuberant cost with no contribution from Mercedes.