Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

window tint

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
window tint

Can anyone reccomend a good window tinter in the MD/VA/DC area? Thanks.

Jason
Old 08-29-2004, 08:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
shoot me an email...I can look up a couple places recommended by some Audi guys in the area. npalekar AT gmail DOT com
Old 09-11-2004, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window tinting

I have a couple of questions about window tinting. First, why doesn't MB offer factory tinted windows, and why do they discourage aftermarket tinting? I read something in one of their magazines about it interfering with electronics and automatic toll systems. My SLK has tinting films on the side windows (I bought it used and it had them when I bought it.) I wonder if I should have the film removed, and if so, how should I go about doing it?

Frank
Old 09-11-2004, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL500
Originally Posted by FScalfano
I have a couple of questions about window tinting. First, why doesn't MB offer factory tinted windows, and why do they discourage aftermarket tinting? I read something in one of their magazines about it interfering with electronics and automatic toll systems. My SLK has tinting films on the side windows (I bought it used and it had them when I bought it.) I wonder if I should have the film removed, and if so, how should I go about doing it?

Frank
ive had three mb's tinted and never had one problem with them. the last tint i got was 20% and sometimes at night its a bit difficult to see out of the rear window, thats about it. i know they make ceramic tints that are supposed to be the best and not interfere with any audio/electronic equipment in the car. downside is the ceramic tint is expensive. like i said with all the tints ive had i never had any problems with the regular tint and i had tv's, dvd players, radar detectors and other stuff in the car.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket tinting

I guess my real issue with the tinting my car has is that it scratches. There is a tendency of the seat belt to brush the window in my SLK when I take it off, and there are little scratches developing in the tinting where the "day light" shines through. Is there any kind of aftermarket tinting that does not have this annoying characteristic? I have never had a vehicle that, it it had tinted windows, that did not have actual factory tinted glass.

Frank
Old 09-15-2004, 07:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL500
Originally Posted by FScalfano
I guess my real issue with the tinting my car has is that it scratches. There is a tendency of the seat belt to brush the window in my SLK when I take it off, and there are little scratches developing in the tinting where the "day light" shines through. Is there any kind of aftermarket tinting that does not have this annoying characteristic? I have never had a vehicle that, it it had tinted windows, that did not have actual factory tinted glass.

Frank
yeah you gotta bring the car to a professional place that has experience with mb's. whats causing those scratches in the gasket that is pressed tight up against the tint on the interior. a reputable tint place will remove that gasket and replace with felt or moleskin so its not as tight against the window. i experienced this with my first c class, it was so annoying.