Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

GLS450 Engine Light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2021, 12:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2020 GLS450
GLS450 Engine Light

Hey! I will cliff's notes this story the best I can.
At the end of June 2020 I purchased a 2020 GLS450. We drove out of state and the check engine light turned on and the car halted briefly. After getting it to a dealership in Arizona when the light was still on they were unable to fix it prior to us needing to go home - the car was shipped back to Texas and ultimately was in the shop for 6 weeks. The answer I received was that it was too hot to drive in Arizona and it triggered an "improbable code," they were able to shut the light off and call it good. There were other customer service issues during that time but that's besides the point.

No issues again until last month when the same check engine light came on. It has now been on 3 times in a month, 4 times within a calendar year. The most recent visit ended with "suspect internal fault of diagnostic unit...removed and replaced." The light has since come on again and it is in the shop now.

I have a call out to MBUSA but based on my search of the forums, their executive referral team is fairly useless. Has anyone had any luck with lemon laws and MB? Or any luck with the executive referral team? At this juncture I feel like the car either needs to be bought back or exchanged but not sure how realistic my expectations are.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (08-01-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 07:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 684 Likes on 507 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
lemon laws depend on state you registered car in.
Old 08-01-2021, 08:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,922 Likes on 3,088 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by jaelba
Hey! I will cliff's notes this story the best I can.
At the end of June 2020 I purchased a 2020 GLS450. We drove out of state and the check engine light turned on and the car halted briefly. After getting it to a dealership in Arizona when the light was still on they were unable to fix it prior to us needing to go home - the car was shipped back to Texas and ultimately was in the shop for 6 weeks. The answer I received was that it was too hot to drive in Arizona and it triggered an "improbable code," they were able to shut the light off and call it good. There were other customer service issues during that time but that's besides the point.

No issues again until last month when the same check engine light came on. It has now been on 3 times in a month, 4 times within a calendar year. The most recent visit ended with "suspect internal fault of diagnostic unit...removed and replaced." The light has since come on again and it is in the shop now.

I have a call out to MBUSA but based on my search of the forums, their executive referral team is fairly useless. Has anyone had any luck with lemon laws and MB? Or any luck with the executive referral team? At this juncture I feel like the car either needs to be bought back or exchanged but not sure how realistic my expectations are.

Yes, common occurrence, sadly. MB is selling rubbish these days, and doesn't stand behind the product or its dealers. It's a lose-lose for the consumer unfortunately. Try posting in the GLS X167 section where you will find many owners who are sharing a similar experience as you. Read up on the lemon law in your state and start a documentation/paper trail with the dealer and MB corporate.