Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Brake Dust Repellent

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2021, 02:36 PM
SPONSOR

Received 233 Likes on 179 Posts
2001 E55AMG
Brake Dust Repellent

Anyone have any products / suggestions to keeping their light color wheels from being caked with brake dust? I plan on getting some aftermarket black wheels which should help, but was wondering if anyone has any suggestions until then.
Old 08-03-2021, 05:12 PM

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 Mercedes AMG GT S
I've been using Armor All Outlast Brake Dust Repellent. It works okay, not great, but it is super easy to apply. It is a spray can (vs liquid waxes or gels) and takes about 30 second per wheel. However, it only lasts a week or two and rain seems to wash it off fast.

For me, I'll apply it right before a brake heavy trip just to make the washing easier afterwards.
Old 08-03-2021, 05:58 PM
SPONSOR

Received 233 Likes on 179 Posts
2001 E55AMG
Originally Posted by 503hp
I've been using Armor All Outlast Brake Dust Repellent. It works okay, not great, but it is super easy to apply. It is a spray can (vs liquid waxes or gels) and takes about 30 second per wheel. However, it only lasts a week or two and rain seems to wash it off fast.

For me, I'll apply it right before a brake heavy trip just to make the washing easier afterwards.
Thank you, I'll have to check it out!
Old 08-03-2021, 08:14 PM

Received 201 Likes on 165 Posts
2016 S550C4, 2005 SL500
Originally Posted by 503hp
I've been using Armor All Outlast Brake Dust Repellent. It works okay, not great, but it is super easy to apply. It is a spray can (vs liquid waxes or gels) and takes about 30 second per wheel.
I also have tried the Armor All Brake Dust Repellent and it has worked very well on my two cars.
Old 08-09-2021, 10:06 AM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
Shortly after I bought my 2007 C300, I learned at an MBCA function that there are shields that can be installed inside the front wheels. I had my independent MB repair shop install them, and they fixed the problem. Price was $89 in 2007 ($79, with an MBCA discount). The manager said that only one customer had had problems with brake fade, "And he was an animal -- 9,000 miles on brake pads!"
My 2015 C300 had white brake pads, which also worked. They too must have been installed by my independent MB repair shop. (Nothing on my present C43, because I will receive my 2021 E450 in a couple weeks.)
Old 02-16-2022, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 S550
Outlast

I have been using Outlast Brake Dust Repellent on my S550 rims for about three years...it has worked great...easy to apply and what clings to the wheels after a week or so is easily washed off and then simply apply another coat. I get three or four sprays of the rims from one can. So, at the old price of about $9 per can, it is a couple of dollars per application....however, Outlast has evidently become a non favored product at ArmorAll and they have replaced it with a ceramic wheel protectent. Outlast is still available, but at a cost of anywhere from $24 to $34 per spray can of 11 ounces....that comes to about $8 every wash. I decided to try the ceramic and what a disaster. The rims looked like they had not been washed or cleaned in two years after two weeks of less than good weather. I decided to wash my car yesterday and it took FIVE scrubbings of my rims to get the crap off my rims. It seems the ceramic spray somehow causes the brake dust to stick to it and it becomes like a bonded stain on the wheel. I had to use a brake dust cleaner, soap and finally mineral spirits to remove all the stuff that collected on the rims. I will never use this again and will have to continue to try to find an acceptable substitute for Outlast, if one exists. Attached is a pic of a wheel after the third wash...as you can see if you enlarge, you can still see areas where the ceramic spray is still blotched

See the caked on material caused by the ceramic spray.
on the rim.