Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

MB camouflaged prototype fleet spotted twice in central Colorado

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2021, 10:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,928 Likes on 3,094 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
MB camouflaged prototype fleet spotted twice in central Colorado

Around 10 cars in all, all sedans, most with panamericana grilles. Chase car was a four door AMG GT in grey magno nearly uncamouflaged except for the rear lower diffuser.

I didn’t see anything that looked like a soft top or SL. Guessing C, E and GT sedans or coupes, guessing AMGs with the grilles. I was ripping along at speed, and so were they, in the opposite direction I was traveling.

Spotted twice on US-50 between Poncha Springs and Gunnison. Anyone else spot them or know anything about them?
Old 10-14-2021, 03:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2005 C230K
Haha. I know everything about it. I used to be a project coordinator for them. The company is called MDE. We did fleet vehicle testing for prototype models. Out here it's usually altitude based testing and data logging, along with testing the durability of all the components.

Most vehicles did 2 shifts a day driving around 300 miles each shift, so to simulate the equivalent wear and tear of daily usage for that mileage we had to implement routines that have seemed odd to any passersby. One of my teams had to explain to Aurora PD why there was a group of camo MB cars in a parking lot at 3 am with drivers each opening and closing their doors and trunks 15 times heheh.

Anyway, it was a cool gig, but terrible management from the corporate office in Michigan. They paid the drivers barely over minimum wage to handle these six figure assets and wondered why there were so many accidents and unreliable data
​​​
I did enjoy when the AMG engineers would come take over for a week a few times a year. Spending 1.3 million euro to fly your cars to Colorado and tune them on runs to Silverthorne, Mt. Evans, Pikes Peak, etc is pretty badass
The following 2 users liked this post by philliez:
chassis (10-15-2021), crconsulting (10-15-2021)
Old 10-15-2021, 09:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,928 Likes on 3,094 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Fun stuff!