Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

48 Volt battery problem? Check in here.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2024, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2023 C300
48 V Battery Problem

We bought a new 2023 C300 in September 2023 and now it’s January 2024. We have the 48 V battery issue and are on our way to the dealership right now. It took 30 tries to try to start the car.
Old 07-14-2024, 12:15 PM

2024 Mercedes GLE63s
48V battery failure

My new 2024 Mercedes GLE63s (7 months old, 4500 miles) barely made it back home this morning. I was on the highway about an hour from home when a message popped up in red saying 48V battery malfunction. It got worse from there as everything started falling and I then got a “STOP VEHICLE” message. I was able to limp home and a flatbed is coming to pick this up. Have any of you had similar problems with a 2024?

Old 07-14-2024, 02:48 PM

2024 Mercedes GLE63s
48V battery failure

My new 2024 Mercedes GLE63s (7 months old, 4500 miles) barely made it back home this morning. I was on the highway about an hour from home when a message popped up in red saying 48V battery malfunction. It got worse from there as everything started falling and I then got a “STOP VEHICLE” message. I was able to limp home and a flatbed is coming to pick this up. Have any of you had similar problems with a 2024?
Old 08-08-2024, 07:21 PM

2019 C200 ecoboost
[QUOTE=e55phil;8456092]

Originally Posted by e55phil
Some owners are having a problem with their 48 V battery. The car will shut down an error code will appear on both screens. The car has to be put into neutral and towed to a dealership. It's happened to me twice.

If you have been impacted by this problem please post to this forum. Whatever type of Mercedes you drive please post. This way we can begin to get an idea of how many people are having this problem.

Is it the exception to the rule or the rule?
Hi. I’ve read your post with interest. I live in the UK. My MB 2019 C200 has the 48volt battery. I was on my return leg of a 300+ mile drive when part of the instrument display on the dash just went blank without warning. As the car was still running and with no apparent problem I continued my drive for quite a number of miles, then suddenly all the electronic instrument display just came back on Again? I just thought it was a glitch of some sorts (I had only bought the car in December 2023-second hand from a local dealer. I also purchased a 36 months RAC warranty). A few miles further on all the instruments went off again with a Red battery warning light this time - saying ‘see owners manual’. As the car was still running, with no apparent problems I continued as I was only a few miles from home. All was well until I got a message on the display saying ‘ this car will shut down in 3 minutes’. Again I ignored the message as by then I was less than a mile from home. The car then ‘shut down’. I then had to rescued.
The RAC operative came and completed some basic checks, including checking the car was charged, which it was. Finding nothing wrong said there is nothing wrong? I asked him to check again, as obviously there was something wrong. He then found the car alternator had stopped charging. As it was getting quite late on a Sunday evening he connected his vehicle charging to mine to give it a little boost, which worked and the car started. All dash working with no warning lights. He followed me home and all was well until the next day. It happed again in my way to my local RAC approved garage, to have it properly checked out. To cut this long story short. It’s now been 5 days and I’ve been/ talked to several RAC approved garage (As I have the RAC warranty). Some did not even know it had an 48v battery and the others say they are not capable of working on my car as it requires a different certificate to work on cars with a 48v battery. I’m getting no help from RAC warranty and I can’t risk going anywhere above a few miles as the car just shuts down. (I do charge the battery overnight or it just will not start). I’m trying to find out if it’s a battery issue or a alternator issue or some sort of power diverter (part attached to the alternator that appears to sends power to the engine or battery depending on its requirements at any given time. Just looks like I don’t have garages close by who are trained or have the necessary skill to check/ test/ repair this type of vehicle. Sorry for the long story. Any advice on what the cause & solution of my issue is would be nice to hear from someone who knows. Thanks