Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

mbrace/Merceds me location tracking?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2021, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C300
mbrace/Merceds me location tracking?

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, so let me know if not...

I was curious if mbrace/Mercedes me utilizes any inherent location tracking - not like a "find my car" feature, but rather that it's collecting location data in the background and sending it to MB for "analytics" or data mining? I wouldn't be surprised if they are as I'm sure the info would be valuable to MB, but I was hoping to get a definitive, concrete answer on the matter. Part of it is out of concern for my privacy, but part of it is morbid curiosity as well. I realize that even if MB was collecting that data, there wouldn't be much I could do to stop it (unless anyone knows a way around it lol), but it would be nice to know. If they are indeed collecting that data, are they at least anonymizing it or keeping it private? I don't like the idea of MB being able to share information about my whereabouts with advertisers or other companies. I know iPhones have a "frequent locations" feature, so I could see MB (or any car manufacturer) doing the same.

I don't currently have mbrace, but I'm considering adding it for some of the safety features, but if I know MB is going to use the service to track me, then I might just stay away.

Thanks!

P.S. it was this thread that got me going on the topic: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...g-disable.html
Old 11-29-2021, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,963 Likes on 2,640 Posts
2019 C63CS
That's pretty much all spelled out in the privacy notice on mbusa.com, including with instruction on how you can opt out of certain things. Mainly the data such as geolocation is collected to provide you with the location based services such as live traffic etc.

This notice is for the newer Mercedes me connect services found in 2019+ vehicles, but if you dig around you should find the mBrace privacy disclosure. It's probably not much different from this one, though.

https://www.mbusa.com/content/dam/mb...ay_Updated.pdf
Old 11-29-2021, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C300
Thank you for that! I just read the mbrace Terms of Service and in not so plain English, they effectively said they can record what they want, when they want, and share it as they see fit. Unsurprising I suppose...