Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Mercedes-Benz GLE 350 issue need solution

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2022, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-Benz GLE 350
Mercedes-Benz GLE 350 issue need solution

I bought a GLE 350 last year and have had no problems with it until now.The brakes are starting to fade and the brake pedal is spongy and hard to push down. I called Mercedes and they said they could not do anything because it was under warranty and it was out of their service area. What should i need to do now.
Old 05-28-2022, 02:35 PM

Received 175 Likes on 149 Posts
E550 Coupe 2wd (2016)
Maybe I'm missing something but warranty means MB will fix it? Or they would fix it but you're too far away? Seems to me you could take it to any MB dealer but I understand they are not conviently located everywhere.
Hard to tell from the brief description but my first thought is the vacuum hoses or vacuum pump. Without enough vaccum the brakes do what you described. My vacuum pump got me a few months ago because the little teeny check valve for the turbo got dislodged and only kinda worked. The net result was was about half the vacuum going to the turbo. Brakes are connected via a different hose and check valve so they still worked fine. Point being that your brake check valve may be on the fritz, or maybe the pump is bad or a leak somewhere is letting air in.

Your motor is different than mine and I know next to nothing about it, but I'd imagine it has the same basic vac pump in there doing the same thing.
Google the vac pump for a pix and look for it. As fas as I know they all look pretty much the same, just different mounting holes. Should be mounted on the back end of the head. Also assuming it's like other vac pumps there will be two hoses connected to it, one little one for the turbo and one big one for the brakes. I didn't pay much attention to the brake hose/valve but I think the valve plugs into the pump and hose to the valve.
A hose that isn't connected or not fully connected can cause your issue, as can a split in the hose. On my car that same hose also connects to the intake manifold, which is where cars in the past got their vacuum so it's a secondary backup vac source. You make less vacuum than mine, on avg, so a leak or issue with the pump would no doubt be more pronounced. Heck, maybe they don't even connect it to your intake at all, but if so, same deal with a check valve on it. So check all those hoses and connections all the way to the brake booster. It's hard to check for vac leaks so I just try to listen and run my fingers over every square bit of it and try to listen for hissing and feel for the air rushing into the leak point. You can also wiggle and bend the hoses a bit while doing it to better expose cracks or poor connections. You can also use water, as get your hand dripping wet and run it over everything because it makes more noise when sucking in the water and you can better feel the leak and coldness.
Lastly there's the brake booster but they rarely fail so I wouldn't even bother looking at it unless you can verify it's getting full vacuum and still not working. I've seen one bad booster in my life, back in the 90's.
Old 05-29-2022, 08:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 692 Likes on 514 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
under warranty? then MB fixes
Old 05-29-2022, 02:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,933 Likes on 3,097 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
What year is the vehicle?

What country are you located in?

Please describe your driving style.