Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Mercedes F1 Team Making A Comeback After Poor Season Start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2022, 05:22 PM

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

By Verdad Gallardo

With the season halfway done, can Mercedes take the fight to Red Bull?

The following users liked this post:
crconsulting (08-05-2022)
Old 08-05-2022, 10:04 AM

Received 448 Likes on 307 Posts
2020 GLC300 -2013 Sl550 - 1997 SL600
I think they missed the design envelope on their current chassis.
With cost limiting measures put in place by the FIA, I don’t think Mercedes will catch Redbull this year. I haven’t read thru the rule book but I think they have capped the number of parts you can replace on the cars.

Max has settled into a consistent tempo. Ferrari has a chance, but keeps making mistakes. Consistency is the key to the Constructor's and Drivers championship. Lewis Hamilton is always pretty consistent too, but just can’t get the overall speed he needs to beat RedBull. (Also nice to see George Russell coming up) He’ll probably have to wait another year for his 8th Championship. 🙁

I’ll be traveling to Texas either way 👍
So far have seen F1 at Monza, Spa, Montreal, Nurburgring, and Long Beach (years ago). Was going to Singapore when COVID hit ☹️
Oh well, Maybe next year…..

Last edited by crconsulting; 08-05-2022 at 10:27 AM.
Drone_S213 (08-05-2022)
Old 08-05-2022, 12:14 PM
Veteran: Air Force

Received 210 Likes on 162 Posts
2021 AMG E63s Wagon
The Old Guard

Wanted Sir LH to retire last year...think he would have won championship if Latifi hadn't crashed which brought out safety car. Russell looks strong for years to come. Bottas should retire too. Old guard should all take a hint from Vettel. Petronas might take second in constructors if Ferrari keeps making mistakes? Miss the old V10 and V8 Formula...
Old 08-05-2022, 12:55 PM

Received 448 Likes on 307 Posts
2020 GLC300 -2013 Sl550 - 1997 SL600
Originally Posted by Drone_S213
think he would have won championship if Latifi hadn't crashed which brought out safety car.
Haha For sure! Hamilton got screwed. But what a champion, to go over (along with his father) and congratulate Max and his dad in that moment took a level of professionalism I’ve never seen in all the years of watching F1 (or racing in general). It was a touching moment to see Lewis’ dad come over and reel Lewis in, and put some perspective into what could have been a contentious and defining moment in his career. Things could have easily gotten ugly.

I found it amazing that the team principals had a direct line to the race director to lobby their cause. Haha, Christian Horner is like a dog with a bone! Having both Horner and Wolff in your ear while making critical decisions would be an arduous task!
That’s one rule FIA put in place this year that should help in the future…..

Originally Posted by Drone_S213
Wanted Sir LH to retire last year..
Hamilton is still pretty consistent, and appears still “hungry”. Which is truly the hardest thing to maintain in the high stress environment of F1. Lots of distractions and it becomes easier to get “soft” as you get older. 😀. I don’t think he’ll retire until he gets that 8th Championship. Whether he can achieve that or not will be up to MB.

Last edited by crconsulting; 08-05-2022 at 01:10 PM.
Drone_S213 (08-05-2022)
Old 08-05-2022, 03:45 PM
Veteran: Air Force

Received 210 Likes on 162 Posts
2021 AMG E63s Wagon
^^^
​​​​​Senna and Dale Earnhardt were my favorites but they ran out of time. LH has nothing more to prove and last year was a good time to take a bow especially with the looming uncertainty of new car aero and wheels/tires that we all witnessed this season. Let Russell kick Mad Max and Ferrari butt! Like Colton Herta from Indy cars and Shane Van Gisbergen from Aussie V8 Supercars. Too bad GM and AU gov't let Holden die...keeping my #3 of 3 2015 Alchemy Purple manual Chevy SS as long as can get parts!

Formula E race last month in Brooklyn NY was boring...