Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Mercedes C250 cranks doesn’t start. Code p0340 (62)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2023 | 09:02 PM

Mercedes c250
Mercedes C250 cranks doesn’t start. Code p0340 (62)

Hello everyone, I purchased a 2012 Mercedes C250 coupe. The seller I informed me that the car had overheated on him and that now it wouldn’t turn on.

anyways I tried starting the car and it cranks but doesn’t start, checked for spark and there’s spark. At first I got a code for the crankshaft position sensor, and I have since replaced the crankshaft position sensor and still doesn’t start. Now the codes are p0340 (62) camshaft position sensor bank 1 and p2610 (62)

I removed the valve cover and check the timing marks to see if the cam phaser was out but the timing is spot on.
i sprayed fuel on the intake while cranking and still no start.
Next I will check if the fuel pump is turning on and the compression on the cylinders. I have order the camshaft sensors and camshaft vvtt magnet actuators that go in the front of the camshafts.

My thinking is that even though it overheated on the previous owner and the head gasket went bad it would still start.

I just want to leave removing the head as my last resort.
would any of the codes I mentioned prevent the car from starting ?
Old 03-26-2023 | 04:59 AM
Out Of Control!!
MBWorld Ambassador

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Sounds like there is no fuel delivered.

Have you checked for oil in the engine wiring harness? Check the cam position sensors and magnets, and check the ECU connectors.

- new crankshaft position sensor from dealer
- new camshaft position sensors from dealer
- new camshaft solenoids from dealer
- and for good measure: new spark plugs and new coils from dealer
- new battery from dealer

The above puts you into a relatively known condition. If the car does not start, focus on injectors, fuel pump and other sensors (air and water temp).

A failed head gasket should not prevent the engine to start, if the ignition + fuel systems are functioning.