Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Question about the 18 month traffic school rule.....

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-02-2004, 02:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question about the 18 month traffic school rule.....

I got a speeding ticket this evening(11/1/04) and would like to go the traffic school route. HOWEVER, my last traffic ticket was in 6/29/03, just shy of being 18 months ago. I did traffic school for that one. Now my question is, if I did traffic school and turned in a traffic schoool certificate of completion for this latest violation, would the court realize/see that it has been less than 18 calendar months since my last citation, and thus reject my traffic school. Anyone experience or have any knowledge of this?? Thank you!
Old 11-04-2004, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CLK430 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by CarShowKing
I got a speeding ticket this evening(11/1/04) and would like to go the traffic school route. HOWEVER, my last traffic ticket was in 6/29/03, just shy of being 18 months ago. I did traffic school for that one. Now my question is, if I did traffic school and turned in a traffic schoool certificate of completion for this latest violation, would the court realize/see that it has been less than 18 calendar months since my last citation, and thus reject my traffic school. Anyone experience or have any knowledge of this?? Thank you!

In California, you can ATTEND traffic school every 18 months...there is no mention of date of ticket. So look at the last date you attended and completed traffic school, and then make sure that for this ticket, the date is 18 months+ later. In CA you'd be fine - your traffic school won't be due for a while and you can even ask for one extension.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E500, 1998 Ferrari Spider
Originally Posted by CarShowKing

In California it is actually 18 months from the violation date. Not the court date.

You can ask the Judge (some Counties allow this) for a 12 hour scholl. This is allowed in some counties if the 18 months has not lapsed.

Cheers
Old 11-07-2004, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
MB SF is correct for California. I actually did take the 12 hour class which some refer to as second offender traffic school. It was the full 8 hour class and then I went right back the next week and took the same class again for the first 4 hours.

Second offender school has to be approved by the judge and if completed the point will not show on your California DMV report but the conviction will remain. This is difference between the first time you take traffic school and the second. The first traffic school shows no point and no conviction. In my case I had traffic school for one ticket, a point for another, and then took second offender school for a third.

What sucks is that even if you don't have 2 points some insurance companies will still count the conviction and take away your good driver status. I took the chance that Mercury would be OK but they took away the discount.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CLK430 Cabriolet
actually, not to be argumentative, MB SF is not correct. it has nothing to do with the court date nor the date of violation.

In California you are allowed to ATTEND traffic school once every 18 months.

This is regardless of either date of violation or court date. If you are close to the limit, like he says he is, you can just ask for an extension of your court date so that you appear in court and make your request to attend traffic school MORE than 18 months since you last went.

That's it. Just look at the date of your first traffic school and make sure the second time you attend is 18 months after that date and you're fine.

Check out FAQ #2

easyonlinetrafficschool.com/faq.asp

Your ticket was in 6/03 - when did you attend traffic school? That is all that matters.

http://www.easyonlinetrafficschool.com/faq.asp

Last edited by WhiteTrash; 11-09-2004 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E500, 1998 Ferrari Spider
Originally Posted by WhiteTrash
actually, not to be argumentative, MB SF is not correct. it has nothing to do with the court date nor the date of violation.

In California you are allowed to ATTEND traffic school once every 18 months.

This is regardless of either date of violation or court date. If you are close to the limit, like he says he is, you can just ask for an extension of your court date so that you appear in court and make your request to attend traffic school MORE than 18 months since you last went.

That's it. Just look at the date of your first traffic school and make sure the second time you attend is 18 months after that date and you're fine.

Check out FAQ #2

easyonlinetrafficschool.com/faq.asp

Your ticket was in 6/03 - when did you attend traffic school? That is all that matters.

http://www.easyonlinetrafficschool.com/faq.asp

"When did you attend traffic school? That is all that matters." That is funny because that is not correct. It is also a bit ironic because that is one of the "Test" questions from the contents of the school. It is "18 months from violation date to violation date". See link below. Scrool down to traffic school.

http://www.acgov.org/courts/divs/traffic