Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Wanting to buy a used mercedes 2004 e500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2023, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NA
Wanting to buy a used mercedes 2004 e500

Hi, I am new to this website and I am not sure if this is the right place to post this. Apologises in advance if this is not and let me know, thank you! I am a PhD student in graduate school and my parents are going to buy me this car as a gift: https://www.briggsnissan.com/viewdet...finance&term=0. I was wondering what the maintenance and the upkeep of the car would be like? I understand that the air suspension might be an issue with this car but at the same time I heard that the engine is built like a tank. So, I am looking for advice what is the maintence cost I can expect per year, how much money should I set aside and what are the major things to look out for? Thank you so much!!
Old 10-28-2023, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 982 Likes on 764 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Sheesh, where do I start? Performing the maintenance yourself will save you literally thousands of dollars. Dealer labor approx $185/hr, Indy labor approx $135/hr. Multiply by two to four days labor. Following assumes you do the work.
First: contact BenzNinja on this forum and purchase a STAR/Xentry C4 system with remote support. Approximately $1K but worth every penny and a must to work on your E500.
Be advised I am one who replaces parts before they break so the following reflects my philosophy. I hate calling flatbed or tow trucks. Has something to do with having my vehicle stuck seven miles out in the desert near NAWC Ridgecrest (Trona Pinnacles)...that was an apprehensive wolf trot to the nearest highway in the middle of summer heat.
M113 engine and 722.6 transmission are some of the best ever manufactured.
Off the top of my head without breaking out a spreadsheet. If maintenance records show work performed, disregard that section.
- front suspension rebuild. Everything. Ball joints and bushings. Just buy all new control arms preassembled. Tie rod ends. Do NOT purchase cheap parts! OEM supplier only. Several hundred dollars for parts; should be under a thousand.
- all air springs. Arnott all four corners approximately $2k. Less capable than MB air springs but much less expensive and you don't have to drop the rear subframe. After replacing the air springs, you must calibrate the airmatic suspension. I have posted on what is needed and STAR will walk you through the process.
- serpentine belt and pulleys. Maybe a hundred or so.
- filter and fluid exchange for the transmission. Do not flush as that knocks crap loose that will adversely affect transmission life. Electrical interface bushing at the same time.
- fuel filter and pump. Only a few hundred dollars for an E500 versus $1000 for my E55...
- replace voltage regulator on the alternator. With that mileage, the brushes are going to be worn. $50 parts and an hour or so of labor.
- inspect motor and transmission mounts and replace if necessary. Takes a short 30-second calibration after replacing.
- coolant and brake fluid flush. You need STAR to properly flush the SBC brake system. Computer controlled brake-by-wire system. 🙂 SBC system has a 25-year warranty from Mercedes. If it fails, it can get sporty...
- engine and cabin air filters. Relatively cheap. Tens of dollars.
- were the plugs and wires replaced at 100k mileage? If not, replace. $200 - $300 dollars and two hours labor.
- purchase a Solar BA5 battery tester and check both main and auxiliary batteries. Replace when measured capacity is 2/3rds or less of rated. Auxiliary battery provides power to the computer controlled brake-by-wire system in event of electrical system failure. It's only good for a short time so, if electrical system fails, pull over ASAP and call a flatbed truck. Once auxiliary battery goes flat, you must stand on the brake pedal like the Incredible Hulk to stop the car. Did I mention "sporty"?
- if maintenance records are not supplied, CARFAX covers much but STAR can access maintenance logs stored in the Central Gateway (CGW) under menu Assyst/Assyst-Plus. Data stored there from the day the CGW is first installed and powered up on the assembly line.
- inspect the Guibo discs and driveshaft carrier support bearing. Replace if necessary.

If the above seems overwhelming, ask for a Toyota Camry but be advised it is not near as much fun as the E500.

Lots of good info in the W211 AMG sub-forum where the gearheads hang out.

The E-class is fantastic car. I have no intention of selling either of mine anytime soon. ​​

Anyone else, please chime in with your thoughts.

Last edited by bbirdwell; 10-28-2023 at 03:04 PM.