Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Bad car shop experience, need advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2023, 09:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 E63 S
Bad car shop experience, need advice

Hello everyone, sorry for the long post, but I need some advice/opinion:

I recently took my 2015 Mercedes-Benz E63s to Mag Motors in Cleveland for spark plugs, an oil change, and transmission fluid service. Mag Motors' initial quotes were riddled with errors, including the wrong spark plug part number and quantity (6 instead of 8) and incompatible transmission pan bolts. They sent a second quote that looked okay to me, but I was wrong (more on that later).

They do the service, and the day after I noticed a small red fluid leak under the car. The transmission pan was clearly leaking. I took the car back, and it was indeed leaking from around the plug due to rust. Since they didn't notice it before, they replaced the pan for free.

Last Sunday, a month after the service, I started thinking about the experience and remembered that the fluid for my transmission (reduced friction) should be blue, not red! I checked their invoice and found the part number for the fluid: "TRANSMISSION FLUID - 001 989 68 03 13 RED .6 OR .9". Online research revealed that this is the fluid for the older 7G transmission (model year 2010 and earlier), not compatible with my 2015 E63!

I immediately contacted Mag Motors to notify them of the error, and they replied that the fluid they used is red but compatible with my transmission. I asked for clarification on what I had actually paid for, and they informed me they used Mobil Multi-Vehicle ATF. Not only is Mobil Multi-Vehicle ATF not approved by Mercedes for my car, but it also wasn't what they quoted or billed me for!
Now, I'm concerned about what engine oil and filter they might have used as well.

Aside from the issue of the uncertified fluid, is it even legal to quote and invoice for one product but provide a different one? What would you do in this situation?

Of course, the car is already at the Mercedes dealership, and I will have the transmission serviced with the correct fluid tomorrow.

Thanks.

Old 06-22-2024, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 s600
Bad car shop experience

[QUOTE=Cla1111;8891348]Hello everyone, sorry for the long post, but I need some advice/opinion:

I recently took my 2015 Mercedes-Benz E63s to Mag Motors in Cleveland for spark plugs, an oil change, and transmission fluid service. Mag Motors' initial quotes were riddled with errors, including the wrong spark plug part number and quantity (6 instead of 8) and incompatible transmission pan bolts. They sent a second quote that looked okay to me, but I was wrong (more on that later).

They do the service, and the day after I noticed a small red fluid leak under the car. The transmission pan was clearly leaking. I took the car back, and it was indeed leaking from around the plug due to rust. Since they didn't notice it before, they replaced the pan for free.

Last Sunday, a month after the service, I started thinking about the experience and remembered that the fluid for my transmission (reduced friction) should be blue, not red! I checked their invoice and found the part number for the fluid: "TRANSMISSION FLUID - 001 989 68 03 13 RED .6 OR .9". Online research revealed that this is the fluid for the older 7G transmission (model year 2010 and earlier), not compatible with my 2015 E63!

I immediately contacted Mag Motors to notify them of the error, and they replied that the fluid they used is red but compatible with my transmission. I asked for clarification on what I had actually paid for, and they informed me they used Mobil Multi-Vehicle ATF. Not only is Mobil Multi-Vehicle ATF not approved by Mercedes for my car, but it also wasn't what they quoted or billed me for!
Now, I'm concerned about what engine oil and filter they might have used as well.

Aside from the issue of the uncertified fluid, is it even legal to quote and invoice for one product but provide a different one? What would you do in this situation?

Of course, the car is already at the Mercedes dealership, and I will have the transmission serviced with the correct fluid tomorrow.

Thanks.

That fluid is fine for your vehicle. Mercedes Benz approves fluids when a vehicle is produced. Not 10 years down the road. They don’t continue to approve fluids that are produced after production, even if they meet or exceed the spec

Last edited by Mbtech1997; 06-22-2024 at 01:52 PM.