Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Winter driving - is it good or bad?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 S55 AMG, 1990 560 SEL
Winter driving - is it good or bad?

I recently purchased a used 2002 S55 AMG with 23000 kilometers which makes it virtually new. In Canada there is a fair bit of road salt used from December until about March. Given the evils of corrosion, I have decided to garage the car for the winter.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for this vehicle which is why I refuse to abuse it in this way. Am I being overprotective of the investment or am I being a fool for not enjoying this car year round?

On a more personal note: I have driven Volvo’s for most of my life, the longest lived was 19 years before the wrecking yard. Given my personal history then it would be a safe bet that I will keep this car for many, many years. – OR, I might trade this in for a new S55 in about one or two years. This trade up realization should make the car more valuable if I do not winter drive it.

Any thoughts?

Regards, Jack
Old 11-17-2004, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
05 E55
In my opinion, you may be a little over protective. Your car, as amazing as it is, is not an exotic where those are just required to stay garaged because when selling, small corrosian even in the under carriage can lower the value. However, the average buyer of an S class isn't going to look under the car, let alone even expect a car like that to be garaged.

Now, in snow, I wouldn't recommend driving that car...too much power with rear wheel drive spells 'dangerous'. However, with salt on the roads, a simple power wash underneath the car every other day will keep the salt levels down. And of course a few extra coats of wax before the winter really sets in will help too.

So, I say, you paid for such a beautiful car, then use it! That amazing motor you have will just love the cold air!
Old 11-21-2004, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not a Benzer anymore
Its Not So Much the Benz you have to worry about

But other cars that slip and slide around in the snow... But any car kept in a garage is no fun.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:52 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
If you can manage to get around in the winter while keeping the S55 in a garage, that would surely be better for the car. Salt and road grime can certainly do damage to a car over time. But if you do decide to drive in these conditions, you have to make sure you wash your car as often as possible, including the underbody. If you are able to do this, then it shouldn't make too much of a difference on your car (not considering the extra miles on your car, or the added risk of getting into an accident).

So my answer is: Yes, it's a good idea, but it's not really necessary, and shouldn't make that much of a difference.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:54 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Originally Posted by str8ridin
In my opinion, you may be a little over protective. Your car, as amazing as it is, is not an exotic where those are just required to stay garaged because when selling, small corrosian even in the under carriage can lower the value. However, the average buyer of an S class isn't going to look under the car, let alone even expect a car like that to be garaged.
The average buyer of an S class, maybe, but I think the average buyer of an AMG version cares a little more.