Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

I Want—No, Need—a Mercedes!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2024, 01:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chrysler 300-C 5.7L
I Want—No, Need—a Mercedes!

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the group and have decided to fully commit to my plan of getting a Mercedes. I've been a fan of the brand since I was young. Although I wanted one at 16, my parents thought it was too much, so I ended up inheriting my grandmother's Chrysler 300C Hemi. I've cherished it, and it now has 224,000 miles, but it's time for an upgrade.

I Absolutely love my 300, but as I've matured as a car enthusiast and a driver, my tastes have evolved. I'm no longer drawn to the more rambunctious vehicles (and their communities) like Mustangs and Chargers. Before receiving my 300, I considered cars like the Lincoln Town Car, 11th Gen T-birds, and Cadillac XLRs—if that gives you an idea of the type of enthusiast I am. I'm also tired of the plastic garbage in my 300. Some of the plastics are so hard, they've broken things like my phone's screen.

Now, I’m looking for something large, truly luxurious, and glamorous. My budget is $16,000 (everything I have saved up the moment I am writing this), and I've narrowed my search to 2008+ W221 S550s, and 2007+ CL550, CLS550, and SL550 models. I don't need 4Matic. The S-Class is my current attainable dream car, so naturally, it’s my top choice. Most of the vehicles I'm looking at have around 90-100k miles, which seems reasonable for someone who's only known a 200k-mile Chrysler. However, I understand the importance of researching before buying a used luxury car, which is why I'm here.

Apologies if this is in the wrong spot, and thanks in advance for your help!
The following users liked this post:
MrMischief (08-20-2024)
Old 08-15-2024, 09:02 AM

Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts
2016 E400 Coupe (C207)
I truly hate to rain on your parade, but have you not also set aside funds for the inevitable repairs? I would strongly caution against spending $16,000 to acquire a 15+ year old S-Class (or any Mercedes-Benz model, for that matter) without a similarly-sized savings account for upkeep. These are not inexpensive cars to maintain when they're five years old, let alone 15-20 years old. Most any Toyota will run for 15 years or 150,000 miles with little more than regular oil changes, but the same is definitely not true of Mercedes-Benz cars. Be careful what you wish for.
MrMischief (08-20-2024)
Old 08-20-2024, 01:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 S550
so here is the deal .. I can tell you what is going to happen.

You are going to get all kinds of hate and shame for buying an older high miles Benz

it will have a few issues and everyone you know will chime in and tell you how silly you are for wanting a Benz and say "sell it"

This has been my experience ...

I will say GO FOR IT .. go for your dream man.... get that Benz! there are plenty of them very affordable for sale everywhere.

then get it fixed up the way you want it and drive it.. even a clapped out Benz from 10 years ago rides nicer than a brand new $25k Hyundai

MrMischief (08-20-2024)
Old 08-20-2024, 02:14 PM

Location: Bucks County PA not far from the Delaware River North & East of Philly by an hour.
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
‘68 Pontiac convertible, ‘71 Corvette 4 spd, ‘20 Accord Touring, 06 Duramax crew-c
I’m in the same boat but looking for a refresh years W222. Many many places sell extended warranties with some better than others. Get a VIN for the car you want or find one you can use as an example and ask at the bank you typically deal with, they likely sell these warranties at a discount - just compare apples to apples. Also keep in mind the years, some warranties have year, mileage and use restrictions. Run a VIN by your insurance agent, a low deductible on your other car might be ok for you but much more for an early Benz.

Unless you are really good mechanic you should seriously consider hiring a professional inspection report - it’s well worth it! Last but not least, learn the ancient art of “patience.” That’s not to say if you find something that checks all the boxes you should think about it for days, you might find someone else grabbed it.

Remember those immortal words: