Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

4.0 V8 Pre ~2018 Sound vs 2019 and on (excluding C63 facelift)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Today, 01:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG GLE 53
4.0 V8 Pre ~2018 Sound vs 2019 and on (excluding C63 facelift)

This has been bugging me so much. After seeing and hearing a new GT63 Coupe rip it in the flesh, I got to thinking, it doesn't sound like an AMG, it just sounds like a V8. Now, I thought maybe I was thinking of the 5.5L V8, but upon watching videos of the previous gen AMG GT, it sounds like a different car, even though it indeed does have the 4.0. The best way I can describe this is that new 63's, particularly from 2019 (GT63 4 Door introduction), the 4.0 sounds hollow, it sounds like something is missing. The previous gen GT however, the W205 c63, as well as the W213 E63 pre facelift, have the throatiness that an AMG should have, they have that tried and true AMG tone, akin to having a **** ton of mucus in your airway. These new 63s sound like they abused their inhaler. Please watch *all* these videos and compare the sounds for yourself.

2018 C63 (Skip to 0:51)
2019 C63*** (Skip to 0:40)
W213 Prefacelift and Facelift E63*** (Skip to 13:36)
Old and new AMG GT Coupe (Skip to 7:50)

Some of you may say its the soft limiter, but please take note of the 2018 C63, the driver revs it within a low range and it just does not sound the same as the newer cars.
I'd say the 2019 C63 is the most revealing. That car not only is the facelift so its automatically quieter, IT HAS OPFs BECAUSE ITS A EURO CAR. Even then, compared to the new cars, you can hear that throatiness and that true AMG sound.
The two E63s is also very very revealing. Beyond just the volume, it almost sounds like a different engine altogether in terms of tone, despite being the exact same
What is causing this??? Do the new cars use an X-Pipe now or something?? There has to be a way to get that pre-2018 sound on the new cars.

Last edited by Boxstar3D; Today at 01:46 AM.