Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Regarding MBUSA service policies

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 04:55 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
58 Vette, 03 Toyota LC, 05 E3204Matic "cancelled purchase"
Regarding MBUSA service policies

Does anyone know MB's policy on factory service regarding vehicles brought in to a dealership for service that were purchased elsewhere?

The reason I ask is that I just purchased an E320 4Matic for my wife from a place in California (I live in NY). The place I bought it from was calling around to see if they could dealer to dealer one to save some time and shipping. They got ahold of a local dealership that said and I quote "I hope the customer does not need service. We will not refuse to service the vehicle but the customer and their vehicle will betreated as a 2nd class, we will put it out back and work on it if and when we feel like it".

Now you know why I buy anywhere but there! I actually bring all my service to a dealer a little farther away that has a great service department but was wondering how MB would feel about a dealership treating ANY MB owner this way?
Old 01-27-2005, 05:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 CLK350 Sport, 2006 E320 CDI, 1978 Cessna 152
Im not sure how they treat people under the factory warranty, but I have been mistreated by the Dealer here in Charlotte many times. The last straw was when they gave me a "free" estimate on work on a 1986 190D and then decided to charge me. Needless to say not only did I not pay it but I have never been back since. I wouldnt even buy a new car from them.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:29 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Originally Posted by nasdaqsam
Does anyone know MB's policy on factory service regarding vehicles brought in to a dealership for service that were purchased elsewhere?

The reason I ask is that I just purchased an E320 4Matic for my wife from a place in California (I live in NY). The place I bought it from was calling around to see if they could dealer to dealer one to save some time and shipping. They got ahold of a local dealership that said and I quote "I hope the customer does not need service. We will not refuse to service the vehicle but the customer and their vehicle will betreated as a 2nd class, we will put it out back and work on it if and when we feel like it".

Now you know why I buy anywhere but there! I actually bring all my service to a dealer a little farther away that has a great service department but was wondering how MB would feel about a dealership treating ANY MB owner this way?
You should be able to have your vehicle serviced at any MB dealer within the US. The only difference will be that a lot of dealers will offer free loaner cars to customers that purchased there. All others have to pay the $20-$30 per day for a loaner if needed.

I don't understand why a service department would say something like that since they still get paid the same amount for work. I'm sure MBUSA wouldn't appreciate their dealers saying or doing this type of stuff either.

I would call the dealer GM and ask him straight out if you will be treated any different by the service department because you did not purchase there. I would tell him that story. I bet he would say no such thing.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:27 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by revstriker
You should be able to have your vehicle serviced at any MB dealer within the US. The only difference will be that a lot of dealers will offer free loaner cars to customers that purchased there. All others have to pay the $20-$30 per day for a loaner if needed.
I would completely accept that as that is the price I pay for buying elsewhere. The shop I have used in the past for my Rover is a little farther away but I know they will still give me the loaner and they are a top notch shop.

I don't understand why a service department would say something like that since they still get paid the same amount for work. I'm sure MBUSA wouldn't appreciate their dealers saying or doing this type of stuff either.
I wasn't clear on this. It was actually the dealerships sales manager that said it. I buy all high end vehicles and have tried to give this dealership business every time but they refuse to give any kind of a break. They offered me $ 1,000 off MSRP I bought it for almost ten times that much off, delivered to my door step or I should say it will be delivered.

I would call the dealer GM and ask him straight out if you will be treated any different by the service department because you did not purchase there. I would tell him that story. I bet he would say no such thing.
I did call the service manager. He has no problem working on a vehicle bought elsewhere. So maybe it will not be a problem. We'll see. For the extra mileage I like the shop a little farther out anyway.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Sounds like the sales manager is just a little pissed off that he's not getting part of the commission!

Yes, some dealers will still provide free loaner cars, even if you purchased somewhere else (The dealer where we had my wife's BMW serviced did this), but this is purely a decision of the dealer. Some dealers don't provide this at all, even if you did buy there.

Yeah, the service manager and the service agents/mechanics probably don't care where you purchased the vehicle.

$10,000 off MSRP sounds like a good deal no matter which model of MB you purchased!

Good luck with your new car.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:12 PM
Almost a Member!

Sounds like the sales manager is just a little pissed off that he's not getting part of the commission!
I'm sure that is it. Still a bold comment to make no matter how you look at it. Not smart in my opinion.

Yes, some dealers will still provide free loaner cars, even if you purchased somewhere else (The dealer where we had my wife's BMW serviced did this), but this is purely a decision of the dealer. Some dealers don't provide this at all, even if you did buy there.
I guess that is what seperates the good ones from the bad ones.

Yeah, the service manager and the service agents/mechanics probably don't care where you purchased the vehicle.
I agree. I also think the modern service departments are a little more independant than they used to be as they are now a source of income as compared to years ago when service departments sole purpose was to support the sale.

$10,000 off MSRP sounds like a good deal no matter which model of MB you purchased!
We ended up with an E320 4matic in Desert Silver Metalic with premium package and heated seats. It's a sweet deal.

Good luck with your new car.
Thank You! Actually it is my wifes car. I had to do something to get my Land Cruiser back from her. The Land Cruiser is a fantastic vehicle. Rides like a true luxury vehicle, lots of power, can tow anything and there is no service. This is my third one. To date I have done nothing to any of them other than change the oil. They have never had to have a factory repair. Not many vehicles can make that claim. When I need speed I have a few Vettes to play with.

Take Care
Old 01-28-2005, 08:55 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 259 Likes on 185 Posts
MB needs a national loaner car policy like Lexus etc. period.