GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Saw a GL450 Thursday and Friday

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a few...
Saw a GL450 Thursday and Friday

Okay, so I finally saw a new GL450 on Thursday afternoon and again on Friday afternoon. I was at the Champions Cup Naples tennis exhibition, old touring pros play matches against each other. Mercedes Benz of Naples were a major sponsor.

Initially, when I walked up, I thought it was an ML. Mind you, I am a car nut! I know every new model of Mercedes to come out in the past 6 years and all the specs. When I first saw it up close, it kind of took me off guard. It was silver with Macadamia interior. Basically, what it looked like was an overgrown ML. Right now, my family owns a G55 and I love the current styling. Absolutely unforgiving in every aspect and that's what makes it so cool.

But, the new GL just doesn't do it for me. I just basically looks like a new MB suv with no real personality like the old Gwag. I can understand that they will probably sell a lot because it is a big SUV and Mercedes has needed to get into that market for quite some time but I am not so sure about the styling of the thing. The hood raises don't look as bad as they do in pictures, and it stands about 6' tall. It is a big vehicle with lots of room, but it just lacks real oomph if you ask me.

Who knows, maybe MB will sell the crap out these, but for me... I'll stick to the classic Gwagen for now.
Old 03-12-2006, 04:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
It isn't supposed to be a Gwagon. But, if you want to be that way, I'll bet it will out handle it!!

The G wagon is a cult car (that I may actually buy), but the GL is a family car. We don't buy them for personality. That is what friends are for!!
Old 03-12-2006, 05:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Where are the pics?
Old 03-13-2006, 12:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a few...
Sorry, I didn't grab any pictures. I was playing tennis at the event and the last thing I expected was to see a new GL.

Yeah, the new GL isn't about the whole cult of the Gwag....sigh....
I have been thinking on it, and I do believe that MB will sell a lot of the new GLs because of the market niche. I mean, there are a lot of people who would love a huge MB SUV, not too sure about the minivan though...I kid.