GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

GL Ipod Integration Installation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 02:08 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL Ipod Integration Installation

anyone install this on their own yet? Pics, diagrams, suggestions?
I bought one today and plan on installing this weekend. Also picked up the chrome fog light covers.
Old 07-08-2006, 02:55 AM
Almost a Member!

Ipod Interface installation

Installed the Ipod interface today. Pretty easy install overall once you get past figuring out how to remove everything. I was a little diappointed that the Ipod info only comes up on the instrument cluster screen instead of the NAV screen. Changing between songs, artists, playlists could be made much easier if you had control through screen but I guess just having the access to a factory Ipod integration is beter than nothing!! I should have taken pictures of the install, but I appologize, I was too caught up in taking apart my car that I forgot too!
Old 07-08-2006, 10:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At least give us an idea of what you had to pull apart. THe Comand? If fo, how does that pull out?
Old 07-14-2006, 02:58 PM
Almost a Member!

sorry for delay, I had to completly remove the glovebox and the COMMAND Head unit in order to put the unit in. It was pretty simple overall. Glove box came out pretty quick after figuring it out. 3 screws under it, 2 at the very top then it just drops out. You have to completly remove the AUX piece otherwise the Ipod will not work, meaning disconnect it from the wiring harness. I mounted the actual brain of the Ipod unit behind the head unit near the back of the storgage tray. Other than pulling things apart, it was very easy!
Old 07-14-2006, 03:00 PM
Almost a Member!

To remove head unit, pull the plastic wood trim piece with the AC unit at the bottom, it will detach the clips, then pull it forward at the bottom to relase it from the top part. once you set that aside (dont need to disconnect anything) you have full access to the head unti. remove the 2 screws holding the slide bars (silver), then slide the bars down all the way and the unit just pops out!