GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Who drives a GL450 with Professional Off Road Package?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 CLS500, 05 Range Rover, 00 Landcruiser
Who drives a GL450 with Professional Off Road Package?

Could you share us the ride and noise quality compared to the regular GL. I always think those extra transfer cases and locking differentials would create more mechanical noises and vibrations. Or maybe not. How's the selectable comfort/auto/firm suspension? Does it make a big difference?
Old 07-12-2006, 07:54 PM
ON PROBATION

What do you mean by "Professional Off Road Package"?

If you are referring to MBZ factory rallying/offroad package then the answer is HELL YES!

That package is ONLY for offroad use.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:08 PM

06 CLS500, 05 Range Rover, 00 Landcruiser
2007 Packages
334 Off-Road Package
The GL-Class may be refined, but with an Adaptive Damping System (ADSII), two locking differentials, 2-speed transfer case, front/rear skid-plate protection and roof rail crossbars it proves it's not afraid to get dirty

This what I'm referring. My fault for calling it Professional. Some websites call it Pro Off Road.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:12 AM
ON PROBATION

I had gathered that you were a fairly intelligent guy, hcden - so when you posted 'professional' -- well, MBZ does offer a 'professional ' rally offroad package....

I did want to clear that up if it was my mistake in inferring that this was the package that you were talking about.

I am planning on ordering the offroad package on my GL's; I think that it is worth having. From what I gathered the last time I read through everything that I could find on it, it sounded to me like it was all potentially good, and there wasn't a downside.

If I find that this package is incompatible with an AMG GL63 when that model eventually comes out, I wouldn't order it on the GL63 -- for obvious reasons.

But I certainly believe at this point that the offroad package features are worth puting on a car which I may indeed be taking offroad at more than a few of my residences.

I am hoping someone who has it will post with their impressions - although I do doubt that we're going to find someone in the USA with it as I doubt the lamea$$ne$$ of MBUSA and of too many dealers here in the USA would order a car for inventory with the package if a customer hadn't specifically ordered the build that way. I am finding that these folks don't order any inventory MBZ's with enough options on them -- be it an ML, a GL, an E55, or an S550....
Old 07-14-2006, 09:30 PM
Almost a Member!

'01 911 Turbo, '04 V10 TDI Touareg, '95 E420
Aside from a potential incompatibility with the future GL63, the off-road package is worth it for the suspension adjustability. Unlike the basic suspension it offers three modes: Comfort, sport, and auto. I have it on my Touareg and it does make a difference.

BTW you're right on about dealer's run-of-the-mill inventories. The dealers here in San Diego are loaded with GLs but most of them have only basic options. I will be ordering mine with the correct options once MB can finally sort out the engine options for the U.S.

Last edited by JoeDiesel; 07-14-2006 at 09:34 PM.