GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Tire sealant and the tire pressure monitors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 10:14 PM

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Rolls Royce Wraith, 1999 CLK Cabriolet, 2023 Genesis G90
Tire sealant and the tire pressure monitors

I have always tried to keep the tire pressures up to specs on all my vehicles, and found that the loss of 1 psi/month is the norm in my situation. Getting tired (pardon the pun) of getting on my hands and knees to fill the tires on my motorcycle several times a month, I was told of a product called ride-on tire sealant www.ride-on.com. that has worked very well at keeping the tire pressures stable and sealing small punctures. Since this product has worked so well on the bike, I thought of putting in the truck, but was concerned about damaging the pressure sensors. Any words of wisdom?
Old 07-29-2006, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are no sensors in the wheel to damage for the US model. The way it determines the pressure is bad is by odd rotation of a wheel while driving meaning the pressure is lost. I think it uses the same wheel speed sensors of the ABS system. That is why MB recommends that you STILL check your tire pressure regularly even with the system. It is not as accurate as a in wheel tire pressure sensor. It make take several pounds of pressure loss before the system is triggered.