GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Invalid Disc Format Or Disc Error

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
Invalid Disc Format Or Disc Error

Just picked up a GL450 for my wife this past weekend and noticed an issue with the RSE DVD player. Normal, store bought DVDs play fine. DVDs recorded on DVD+R or DVD-R formatted blanks get the "INVALID DISC FORMAT OR DISC ERROR" message on the screen. Is anyone else suffering this fate? If so, any resolutions?

TIA

Old 10-04-2006, 03:10 AM

Depends where I'm going.
I have the same problem with certain DVDs. I really haven't figured out the reason because it happens with certain DVDs and not others even though they are all burned on the same DVD burner with the same media. FWIW, it happened as well in my other 2 in-car DVD systems.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:11 PM

Try burning in lower speeds like 2x/4x....

I've seen similar issues with a 5 year old computer DVD drive. I am crossing my fingers to check all my daughter's DVDs when my GL arives mid this month.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:48 PM

GL450
I always burn 2x/4x for stability also

Originally Posted by mvenki
I've seen similar issues with a 5 year old computer DVD drive. I am crossing my fingers to check all my daughter's DVDs when my GL arives mid this month.
I think here lies the problem. With a $2.6K package, one would expect that M-B would have a dvd player that has a better optical laser than 5 yr old optical drives. As of right now, all of my daughter's backups will not play. And to add insult to injury, my salesman said that even though the RSE section clearly lists all compatible DVD blank format types, M-B tech has released a Tech bulletin to the contrary. As of now, they will not swap out what I feel is a defective dvd player. The worst case scenario is that it is truly a low cost dvd player, with 5 yr old technology that I paid a premium. If I would have known this I would have opted out of the package and had my old truck's two Clarion monitors and 3 yr old 6 disc Pioneer DVD changer professionally installed instead. I am trying to find out who the OEM is for the dvd player to see if they have a list of certain manufacturer's discs that are compatible. As stated in the title, I always back up at 2x-4x.
I am currently awaiting another GL with RSE to hit my dealer's lot to see if this one suffers the same fate. Needless to say I am not happy , nor my 3.5 yr old princess. I hope yours work and please update on the outcome.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:54 PM

GL450
Originally Posted by 2thfixr
I have the same problem with certain DVDs. I really haven't figured out the reason because it happens with certain DVDs and not others even though they are all burned on the same DVD burner with the same media. FWIW, it happened as well in my other 2 in-car DVD systems.
What brand of media are you using? I have tried TDK DVD-R 8X,Verbatim DVD+R DL 4x, Memorex DVD+R DL 2.4X, cheap Comp USA DVD-R 4X....So frustrating!
Since it happened in your other 2 in-car DVD systems it may be old (cheap)technology used by the OEM of the DVD players. I think this is unacceptable.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:08 AM

I think RSE is not a 'region free' player.

I took out my GL today 10/16 Mon, the first thing I checked was Nero burned DVD-R in RSE. It didn't work. DVDs bought from stores worked fine. Here is what I found thru browsing the MB manual:-
It seems the RSE is strict about 'regions'. ie. it is set to 'region 1' for US, so it will only play DVDs encoded for region 1 (If sold in US). All store-sold DVDs are correctly encoded for region 1 (the back cover may tell about this), but not the custom burnt ones (it depends on how you copy/rip). I haven't figured out yet how to set/change the region when burning.

Will post about it when I figure it out. I think it may not be a big deal.

Last edited by mvenki; 10-17-2006 at 03:12 AM.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:33 PM

Smile set book type to DVD-ROM

I found a fix for this problem. The DVD Player in the GL can only read disc with Book Type set to DVD-ROM. This means you can only use DVD+R disc. I bought some Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD+R and use Nero to burn them at 4x. In Nero, configure the burner to set Book Type automatically. I use a Sony 710A DVD burner, I don't know if it matters.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:29 PM

2015 GL550, 2019 GLC350e
Has anyone found a sure way to burn DVDs that works in the GL?
Old 10-08-2007, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by SFML320
Has anyone found a sure way to burn DVDs that works in the GL?
Using a DVD+R disc seems to do the trick.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:25 PM

NJ Edison, ACURA TL , GL450
.. and

and making sure they are not region free. Burn them Region one. DOes work for me.