GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Voice Command Module

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 CLS55, 07 GL450, 07 GMC Yukon, 06 Pontiac Vibe
Voice Command Module

When I ordered my GL, the voice command option was not available. I was told that MB wasn't sure if they were going to even put them in the GL. Of course they are now. I heard that there would be no retro fit available. Now I hear that there is one available. Can anyone confirm or refute?
Old 11-30-2006, 06:44 PM

MBs
We just discussed this a little while ago: https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w164/170583-voice-control-add.html
Old 11-30-2006, 08:32 PM
Bax
Almost a Member!

2007 GL450 Capri Blue
I'm also interested in the answer to this question. The thread over on the ML board really doesn't answer the question.

I have the steering wheel buttons for voice command on my GL but I don't have the option (it wasn't listed anywhere as available when I ordered). The buttons are wired to something though because I noticed when I'm listening to Sirius and I have the "info" button pushed (which gives details of the artist and song) and I hit the voice command button on the steering wheel, the artist and song details will go away and the screen will revert back to just showing the station name.

I hope someone understands what I'm describing in that last run-on sentence!

The bottom line is that the vcs buttons do somehow connect with the command center. So the question is, how hard would it be to have vcs retro-fitted? I'll shoot an email to my dealer and let you guys know what they say.

Bax
Old 11-30-2006, 10:19 PM

MBs
Like sunman said the VCS buttons on the steering wheel connect via the CAN bus to the radio. Might be a LINbus, but that's very similar. So that part should be all set to go. What's missing is the VCS controller on the MOST ring which needs to be installed. Easiest would be to have a MB harness into which one can plug the controller like sunman mentioned, otherwise this harness would need to be custom made. It might also require some version version coding. Some VCS info is on this page: http://www.whnet.com/4x4/vrm.html
Old 12-05-2006, 08:26 AM

Talked to parts yesterday at the local dealership who contacted MBUSA. There is a retro-fit for the VCS for the GLs; however, it is not available yet, but it is on the way. He said it should be out in the next 30-60 days.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:36 PM

2022 GLE 350; 2016 BMW 428i gran coupe; 2014 Audi Q5 tdi
Thanks for the information. I had been told by MB USA in Septebmer that a retro fit may be coming so your information is consistent.

I will be adding the bluetooth module and the voice recognition (when available) to my vehicle in the near future.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:14 PM

MBs
MBUSA just released preliminary retrofit instructions. I linked a pdf from this page: http://www.whnet.com/4x4/vrm.html
Old 02-01-2007, 08:26 PM

Thanks for the link as that is some good detailed information. I will be interested to hear when BMUSA make the retrofit kit available in the US.

For those who have the factory installed voice command, how well does it interface with the nav system? Are you able to use voice to identify a new destination without having to use the toggle to pick the letters of the street and city? I will want to get the voice command retrofit (when released) if it makes this process easier.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:38 PM

Thanks.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 231 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by abcdef
Thanks for the link as that is some good detailed information. I will be interested to hear when BMUSA make the retrofit kit available in the US.

For those who have the factory installed voice command, how well does it interface with the nav system? Are you able to use voice to identify a new destination without having to use the toggle to pick the letters of the street and city? I will want to get the voice command retrofit (when released) if it makes this process easier.
I can answer based on the VCS in my 2006 S-class. I suspect it will be the same unit because retrofits use a common core kit with the VCS, plus a model-dependent kit.

Yes, you can say "Enter town" and name a city. It does a pretty good job. It presents a list and you confirm by saying the line number of your destination town. Usually, it will be "one." If the pronunciation is odd, you can say "Spell town," and give the first few letters in a single string. "C-A-M-P-B" would bring up a list with all the Campbells in the country.

Streets are only given by spelling, again the first few letters in one go. You finish with "House number," with the digits said one at a time. That's a bit odd because when giving phone numbers you can read four or five digits at a time, as in "one eight hundred" "five-five-five" "one-two-one-two." It's a big improvement over my previous VCS (2001 S).

The phone book and address book are integrated. You can enter name, address, phone numbers and other stuff. "Navigate Fred" will start navigation to the address of "Fred." "Call Fred" will dial the phone number of Fred. If you want, you can enter three numbers for Fred and dial any of them with "Dial Fred Home," "Dial Fred Work" or "Dial Fred cell."

The VCS rocks.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:01 AM

Unhappy Now I'm totally confused

I called my dealer's part dept. and he looked it up and found nothing. He later called back and said that MBUSA said that there is not going to be a retro-fit and unless it was installed at the time of manufacture, you can't get it. That is obviously not the case unless, retro-fits will be done on models outside of the U.S.

Old 02-15-2007, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by EFant
I called my dealer's part dept. and he looked it up and found nothing. He later called back and said that MBUSA said that there is not going to be a retro-fit and unless it was installed at the time of manufacture, you can't get it. That is obviously not the case unless, retro-fits will be done on models outside of the U.S.

It might be a bit too early for the dealership parts departments to know about this yet. I do not think the retro-fit has been rolled out 100%. I do think it is coming as we have the preliminary installation instructions via the Mercedes-Benz star bulletin. I would give it a bit more time.

Regarding the comment that there is not going to be a retro-fit unless "it" was installed at the time of manufacture, he may be referring to voice control buttons located on the steering wheel. The February 2007 version of the star bulletin indicates that the vehicle must be equipped with the voice control buttons to accept the voice control retro-fit unit.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
the bulletin states retrofits on cars with buttons only but those buttons can be retrofitted as well.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:01 PM

Well, I have the buttoms. They only answer and hang up the phone currently. You are right. It could be a bit early for the dealers to really know about it. That is what I like about this forum. The people on here know more than the dealers and MBUSA in most cases.