GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

uncomfortable front seat

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
uncomfortable front seat

I must be crazy, or maybe im just used to bigger and cushier seats in my lx470, but i took the MB out for another one hour drive today, and STILL find the driver's seat uncomfortable. (The drive itself is nothing short of superb though and a ton of fun to drive!!!).

There is a "T" shaped stitching pattern in the back of the seat, and for whatever reason, where the two lines of stitching meet to form that "T" hits my upper mid back in just the wrong way. Another issue are those side supports on the back...just very pronounced; more so than any other SUV Ive tested. Must fore of a tighter fit I guess for a sportier feel maybe?? Lastly, they are just not nearly as soft as im used to. They are much more firm. Am I just nuts here or what?? Does anyone have any similar findings at all???? If it was not for this seating issue, I would have bought this by now.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 GL320 CDI, 2001 TJ Rockcrawler, 2005 Scoobie STI
You might try driving a model with Multi Contour Seats... There are a lot more adjustments you can try out.

The seats in our Lexus are softer as well, but I really don't like them as much as the MB. They are so soft, that there is not any sporty feel to the at all... Go around a corner and I am constantly having to brace myself to keep from sliding around on the seat.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:48 PM

totally agree about the lexus. i guess im just used to that. i tried the mulitcontoured seating...didnt make any difference really. its that dang stitching in the back especially. i just cant believe im the only one with this problem. wife thinks im a freak! haha
Old 12-19-2006, 09:58 PM

2007 GL450
Originally Posted by pemarsh
i just cant believe im the only one with this problem. wife thinks im a freak! haha
I had an LX470 and a GX470 before the GL450.

I find the standard MB seats to be MORE comfortable on long trips than the Lexus seats, which were my previous "gold standards".
Old 12-20-2006, 01:10 AM
LDH

07 GL450,
I like the seats as the lower cushion fits a tall guy unlike most cars. Never noticed the stitching on the back though.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:59 PM
Almost a Member!

Seats are great for tall people

I have to agree with you I love the seats in my GL, know keeping them clean thats another story
Old 12-22-2006, 02:39 AM

Depends where I'm going.
Originally Posted by pemarsh
I must be crazy, or maybe im just used to bigger and cushier seats in my lx470, but i took the MB out for another one hour drive today, and STILL find the driver's seat uncomfortable. (The drive itself is nothing short of superb though and a ton of fun to drive!!!).

There is a "T" shaped stitching pattern in the back of the seat, and for whatever reason, where the two lines of stitching meet to form that "T" hits my upper mid back in just the wrong way. Another issue are those side supports on the back...just very pronounced; more so than any other SUV Ive tested. Must fore of a tighter fit I guess for a sportier feel maybe?? Lastly, they are just not nearly as soft as im used to. They are much more firm. Am I just nuts here or what?? Does anyone have any similar findings at all???? If it was not for this seating issue, I would have bought this by now.
Were you driving a regular GL or a Premier Edition with the Nappa leather? I have a Premier Edition and often commented to my wife about the same thing. I think the Nappa leather is even harder than the regular leather. I'm not a cushy recliner kind of guy either, I'm 37 and am used to hard seats on my 997S but these things take hardness up to another level.