GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

First major problem at 10K miles on GL450

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 12:24 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First major problem at 10K miles on GL450

I was driving a few weeks ago and I got a message on the display "Airmatic cooling down" followed by "Visit Workshop". I noticed the vehicle was tilted down on the driver front, so I got out and saw it was a low rider with wheel almost a few inches in front fender. I should have taken a picture but was so mad because I had to go on a road trip and I had to cancel.
They had the vehicle in the shop for 4 days and when I got it back dealer said they had to replace the entire front driver strut assembly.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:07 PM
Almost a Member!

Wow bad break how long have you had your GL
Old 12-22-2006, 02:34 AM

Depends where I'm going.
Originally Posted by Lukester
I was driving a few weeks ago and I got a message on the display "Airmatic cooling down" followed by "Visit Workshop". I noticed the vehicle was tilted down on the driver front, so I got out and saw it was a low rider with wheel almost a few inches in front fender. I should have taken a picture but was so mad because I had to go on a road trip and I had to cancel.
They had the vehicle in the shop for 4 days and when I got it back dealer said they had to replace the entire front driver strut assembly.
MB used a bad batch of airmatic pumps that failed and led to the same dropped front end but in your case it sounds like you had a leaking strut that made the airmatic pump run until it overheated. If they only changed the strut and not the pump, it sounds like it was just a matter of bad luck. That's one of the big problems with the airmatic system. I had $6k worth of repairs done because of air suspension related problems on my 1997 SL600. In fact, I had one instance where the front end squatted to the ground just like you described and the towing guy had a hell of a time getting the car on the flatbed.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
The R129 SL didn't have air suspension, ADS damping yes, but it was not airmatic or air based.

M
Old 12-22-2006, 09:38 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
MB used a bad batch of airmatic pumps that failed and led to the same dropped front end but in your case it sounds like you had a leaking strut that made the airmatic pump run until it overheated. If they only changed the strut and not the pump, it sounds like it was just a matter of bad luck. That's one of the big problems with the airmatic system. I had $6k worth of repairs done because of air suspension related problems on my 1997 SL600. In fact, I had one instance where the front end squatted to the ground just like you described and the towing guy had a hell of a time getting the car on the flatbed.
The local dealer wanted to replace the strut seal but was told by MB to replace the entire unit. I hope it didn't put too much stress on the Airmatic pump because it was trying to pump that wheel even when the car was turned off for almost 1 hour. There was no way to turn off the airmatic pump, I thought it was going to kill the battery but finally shut off.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:29 AM

Depends where I'm going.
Originally Posted by Germancar1
The R129 SL didn't have air suspension, ADS damping yes, but it was not airmatic or air based.

M
I think we have been through this before. The car has ADS with level control. The switch on the center console adjusts the shocks and the switch next to the headlight switch adjusts the ride height. About 3 years ago, I had reservoirs, a pump and a valves replaced. The car squatted to the ground once when the system developed a leak and the other time, the car was bouncing all over the place like it needed new shocks. I assumed it was all air based but I suppose the repairs and the problems I had could easily apply to a hydraulic system as well. Now that I think about it, I have never heard the car make the "pssss" air releasing sound when closing a door like my wife's S500 w/airmatic and my GL w/airmatic. I stand corrected once again.