GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Whining during gear change.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 GL450
Whining during gear change.

I just noticed it yesterday going through drive-thru. When changing gears, it makes whining noise before engagement. Is this normal for MB? I had many auto-tranny but never heard this type of noise before.
I have appt tomorrow with dealer to check what the problem is, but like to get feed back from other owners just in case dealer tries "it's normal." crap.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:51 AM

It seems there is a software update for this. I noticed it few times in a stop and go traffic ie. 10-25mph driving and mentioned this in my 1500mi checkup.
They updated something and it is not happening anymore. The service paper read 'Shift Adaptation level was too high' before.

PS: Someone else also mentioned about it in this forum (or benzword.com) with a title 'Tranny update available'. I also mentioned about that much debated airmatic noice when passenger door closing, but it came out to be normal. Anyway, if you feel anything is weird, its worth mentioning it during service, bcos its V1 model and cars now have too much complex software which always have some bugs in it .
Old 01-08-2007, 04:10 AM

07 GL450
Thanks mvenki,

I'll definitely mention it to service manager.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:26 AM

07 GL450
I thought I'll do follow up on my visit to dealer.

I had two issues that I wanted dealer to check. First was whining noise when shifting and second metallic tapping noise when turning, going forward or back ward.

1. I noticed similar whine noise from other GL during shifting except duration. My GL whine bit longer. I asked him about the software update but he doesn't know of any and unless there is definite driveability issue he can't do anything.

2. Metallic tapping noise when turning, they checked and they found metal seams under driver seat that suppose to be glued together wasn't glued. Tech. thought when body structure was in torsional stress, there was metal to metal contact which made the noise. They said they applied sealer there and it's not making noise any more.
we'll see.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by s2kysk
I thought I'll do follow up on my visit to dealer.

I had two issues that I wanted dealer to check. First was whining noise when shifting and second metallic tapping noise when turning, going forward or back ward.

1. I noticed similar whine noise from other GL during shifting except duration. My GL whine bit longer. I asked him about the software update but he doesn't know of any and unless there is definite driveability issue he can't do anything.

2. Metallic tapping noise when turning, they checked and they found metal seams under driver seat that suppose to be glued together wasn't glued. Tech. thought when body structure was in torsional stress, there was metal to metal contact which made the noise. They said they applied sealer there and it's not making noise any more.
we'll see.
Thats pretty lousy quality control. WTF is going on at Vance?