GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Tire Pressure Monitors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 08:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tire Pressure Monitors

For those of you with non-standard wheels - do the TPM's from the stock 18's fit on 19 or 20 inch wheels? For example, if I take delivery with 18's and get some 20" aftermarket wheels, can i transfer the TPM's to the new wheels? I've been told "no problem" but they had an interest in me hearing that.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NJ Edison, ACURA TL , GL450
Also

Do those TPMs tell the tire pressure for individual wheel ? Sorry .. haven't got my GL yet
Old 02-16-2007, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by GLDriver
Do those TPMs tell the tire pressure for individual wheel ? Sorry .. haven't got my GL yet
Me either, but am making decisions on how to configure it. Should be placing the order Monday. I would assume (but am not sure) MB's TPM is like my Caddy - PSI readout for each tire shown on the dash. That's why there is a TPM in each wheel. My Bimmers ('04 and '05) use rotation speed (determined via ABS system) to determine if a flat exists, but don't tell you either PSI or which tire is flat. FWIW, newer BMWs no longer use that method.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by boxboss
Me either, but am making decisions on how to configure it. Should be placing the order Monday. I would assume (but am not sure) MB's TPM is like my Caddy - PSI readout for each tire shown on the dash. That's why there is a TPM in each wheel. My Bimmers ('04 and '05) use rotation speed (determined via ABS system) to determine if a flat exists, but don't tell you either PSI or which tire is flat. FWIW, newer BMWs no longer use that method.
I stand to be corrected but I think the GL does not show individual pressures for each wheel. It just indicated a change in a specific tire which exceeds some preset standard. My S shows the pressure for each wheel and indicates a warning if a specific tire is low.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
I stand to be corrected but I think the GL does not show individual pressures for each wheel. It just indicated a change in a specific tire which exceeds some preset standard. My S shows the pressure for each wheel and indicates a warning if a specific tire is low.
You are probably correct. That's how the new BMW system works and probably how the German engineers think it should be done!
Old 02-18-2007, 04:29 PM

'07 GL450
The sensors were transfered to my 22s without any problems. The wheels you buy must be designed to accept the sensors or they may not fit. Make sure you get this done by a professional since the sensors are fragile.

For clarification, the sensors do not give you a PSI readout. It will warn you if the pressure is lower than the initialized pressure.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:01 AM
Almost a Member!

GL450
Owner's manual shows that tire pressure for each tire is only available in Canada. It's referred to as Advanced TPMS. Apparently the US GL's just have the TPMS that shows if a tire is low. I can scroll thru the menu and nothing on the telltale comes up about tire pressure. Is it an option?
Old 02-20-2007, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jack450
Owner's manual shows that tire pressure for each tire is only available in Canada. It's referred to as Advanced TPMS. Apparently the US GL's just have the TPMS that shows if a tire is low. I can scroll thru the menu and nothing on the telltale comes up about tire pressure. Is it an option?
Not to my knowledge.

Responses here and on the Tire forum tell me the sensors are transferrable. Thanks for the info.