Transmission quality

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by oknish
I wish that the jump I felt was slight So what was the final verdict on your '06 S430? Did it finally started performing same as your '07 S550?

I am off to dealer tomorrow so we will see what happens next.
Once they did the valve control fix and the readaptation, the S430 was a smooth as could be.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by frank621
so anything good from the dealer?!
Nothing yet. Getting the usual run around of them not being able to duplicate the issue and how they cannot provide me with the actual values of shift adaptation. Called BS on that and they are looking again.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
Once they did the valve control fix and the readaptation, the S430 was a smooth as could be.
Did you get a run around too before they fixed? Or did you have a dealer that believed in actually providing service?
Old 03-13-2007, 03:19 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my service guy is actually a decent human being believe it or not. i did get the typical answer of we cannot duplicate the issue but after they performed the 2nd tranny update he just said drive it for 100 miles and let me know if the problem is still there. he stated that if the problem was still there they would take it to the next level... That was about 2 weeks ago and I just have not had the time to go back to the dealership and then you started this thread so I figured I would see how your meeting went!
Old 03-13-2007, 04:02 PM

2007 S65AMG, 2007 ML63AMG, 2007 E63AMG,
Theres no problems with my S-Class. Why does the GL have one smaller than the S-Class. I think this might be what is wrong with yours. Its a video I found on youtube. Heres the link: Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ofyv5EDGkk Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcQbF...elated&search= Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXInI...elated&search=
Old 03-13-2007, 04:02 PM

2007 S65AMG, 2007 ML63AMG, 2007 E63AMG,
Theres no problems with my S-Class. Why does the GL have a smaller tranny than the S-Class. I think this might be what is wrong with yours. Its a video I found on youtube. Heres the link: Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ofyv5EDGkk Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcQbF...elated&search= Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXInI...elated&search=
Old 03-13-2007, 07:22 PM
JLP

06 E-55-95-F355S- 99 Porsche 911 C2 w mods
Nothing yet. Getting the usual run around of them not being able to duplicate the issue and how they cannot provide me with the actual values of shift adaptation. Called BS on that and they are looking again.

Don't be surprised, the dealers will pull this sh*t with you as long as they can.
Just document every visit and get the Service Manager as well as the GM involved..........the squeaky wheel gets the oil.
Dealers are told to procede this way by MBUSA and IMO it is NOT the way to make a customer happy.............they really drag their feet.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by JLP
Don't be surprised, the dealers will pull this sh*t with you as long as they can.
Just document every visit and get the Service Manager as well as the GM involved..........the squeaky wheel gets the oil.
Dealers are told to procede this way by MBUSA and IMO it is NOT the way to make a customer happy.............they really drag their feet.
Thanks, JLP. You about summed my experience. Service Manager gave me the lip service about if they can't find anything wrong with the car they can't fix it. Although he didn't say it, my impression was that if a dealer fixes something and MB is not satisfied that the fix was needed then the cost of fix is out of dealer's pocket. I think Service Managers are usually retired Sales people This one gave me a well rehearsed spiel about how SUV trannys are not expected to behave the same as a car's. So I got stuff documented and left.

What I am wondering about now is should I call MB? Or should I squeak more at the dealerships? What do you guys think?

And, personally, I feel for those who only have one dealership to go to. I got a boat load of them around me and plan on hitting each and every one to make them "earn" my business. In the meantime, those darn C class loaners are growing on me They might be little but they have the oomph and zip.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:38 AM

Sorry to hear this problem extends to the GL, but not surprised given that it is the same transmission as in the ML and R class. I have exhausted myself and the dealer and MBUSA in trying to get a smooth shifting transmission in my '06 ML 350, but to no avail. If the problem can be resolved before the warranty expires, I may trade in, otherwise, this will be my last MB. The new LX 570 should have its first year issues resolved by then.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by alan s
I have exhausted myself and the dealer and MBUSA in trying to get a smooth shifting transmission in my '06 ML 350, but to no avail.
Sorry to hear that alan s. Would you mind sharing details as to what kind of run around you have been getting? I am just trying to be prepared for any "tricks" that might be out there.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:08 PM
Almost a Member!

i am definitly one of those with only 1 dealership to go to. Only MB in Vegas. I cannot understand how you can buy such an expensive car and still get the run around like you would at a ford or chevy dealership (no offense to anyone, but you know what I mean). I am not feeling as though I get the run around yet, but i have only had my GL in twice. I do unfortunatly get rental cars, not loaner cars so i was given the great pleasure of driving a lincoln towncar and most recenty a tahoe. wow do i love my car when i get it back!!!
Old 03-14-2007, 12:14 PM
JLP

Sorry to hear that alan s. Would you mind sharing details as to what kind of run around you have been getting? I am just trying to be prepared for any "tricks" that might be out there.

My good friend who is an attorney had purchased a 06 ML350 for his wife and had the dreaded 722.9 slow-down clunk and the "get kicked in the a*s" tranny problem.

He even said that he would not pursue the problem legally because it was an intermittent issue and hard to prove that it was a safety problem.

His advice was to be as nice and persistant with the Service Manager, General manager, and Owner until they got so sick of getting calls everyday that they would push for a new tranny. Sort of like a cute duck who just keeps nibbling away until the dealer changes your tranny.

Whatever you do.........NEVER flip out or lose your cool with the SM,GM, or owner. If you belittle them or make it personal they will never fix your problem and most likely blow you off.

Good Luck
Old 03-14-2007, 01:05 PM

I wouldn't really characterize it as "run around" since the dealer has been fairly upfront with me and did make numerous attempts to repair, including replacing the valve body and software changes per the TSBs. A lemon letter to MBUSA resulted only in a referral back to the dealer for follow up. The end of the road for me was when the dealer finally said "go to another dealer since we cannot do anything further and are unwilling to push MB for a new transmission." I really do not want to litigate, but will make my views known to anyone who asks, such as yourself, and will certainly make my future purchases elsewhere. Depending on the lemon laws in your state, the best option is probably to have the company buy back the vehicle if you are really dissatisfied. I decided to live with the clunky transmission for now.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:17 PM
JLP

Originally Posted by alan s
I wouldn't really characterize it as "run around" The end of the road for me was when the dealer finally said "go to another dealer since we cannot do anything further and are unwilling to push MB for a new transmission." I decided to live with the clunky transmission for now.

Well your dealership did give you the "run around" when they told you to go to another dealer! You are in essence now "running around".

As for having to live with a "clunky tranny" that is very unforunate, MB is going to lose alot of future business if they keep treating their customers this way.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by JLP
My good friend who is an attorney had purchased a 06 ML350 for his wife and had the dreaded 722.9 slow-down clunk and the "get kicked in the a*s" tranny problem.

He even said that he would not pursue the problem legally because it was an intermittent issue and hard to prove that it was a safety problem.
WOW. I have not experienced the slow down clunk or "the "get kicked in the a*s" tranny problem." (love the way you phrased it). And, what is boggling is the intermittentness (is that even a word?) of the problem. I am surprised that he is only considering this from a safety perspective. CA laws also consider any defects that could "materially" reduce vehicle values.

Originally Posted by JLP
His advice was to be as nice and persistant with the Service Manager, General manager, and Owner until they got so sick of getting calls everyday that they would push for a new tranny. Sort of like a cute duck who just keeps nibbling away until the dealer changes your tranny.

Whatever you do.........NEVER flip out or lose your cool with the SM,GM, or owner. If you belittle them or make it personal they will never fix your problem and most likely blow you off.

Good Luck
That, my friend, is the 100 million dollar advice. If I had a 100 mil, I would given it all to you but I am fresh out I deal with enough jerks all day to know that screaming and shouting and making it "personal" will get you nowhere fast. Every time.

I do think that I am understanding what is going on behind the scenes. It seems, to me, that MB has some strict controls on what can be repaired under warranty and the higher the $ value of repair/part, the tighter the control. And, of course, since the dealer is not in it for charity either they are not going to accomodate a customer till MB gives green light. Seems like a really bad way to treat customers but I think MB got screwed by dealers in the recent past with all the quality issues. So, now MB has tightened up and as usual the first round of tightening is too tight.

I will keep you all posted on what happens next.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:10 PM
Almost a Member!

2007 GL450
I've got 18k miles on my GL and have never had a single tranny problem; smooth as silk. For that matter, I haven't had ANY problems at all...
Old 03-18-2007, 01:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by kmaker
I've got 18k miles on my GL and have never had a single tranny problem; smooth as silk. For that matter, I haven't had ANY problems at all...
You seem to have gotten the exception that proves the rule

Just kidding.

Congratulations and may everyone's GL be problem free like yours.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:40 AM
LDH

07 GL450,
Last week our GL (5k mi.) got stuck in 1st with no trouble lights, turning off the car seemed to fix it but the next morning it would get stuck in one of the higher gears and required full throttle to just move. The check engine light remained on thru all of this. Dealer has the GL for a week now waiting on parts. SA said that it needs a new valve body and that all flash updates would be performed. Shop lead also said that the new MB's have over 1600 possible fault codes between all the different systems. I am liking the 07 c230 loaner for the most part. It does have a lazier throttle and less seemless tranny operation the the GL though and my wife described it as gutless.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:22 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
Originally Posted by LDH
Last week our GL (5k mi.) got stuck in 1st with no trouble lights, turning off the car seemed to fix it but the next morning it would get stuck in one of the higher gears and required full throttle to just move. The check engine light remained on thru all of this. Dealer has the GL for a week now waiting on parts. SA said that it needs a new valve body and that all flash updates would be performed. Shop lead also said that the new MB's have over 1600 possible fault codes between all the different systems. I am liking the 07 c230 loaner for the most part. It does have a lazier throttle and less seemless tranny operation the the GL though and my wife described it as gutless.

What was your build date? wondering if you have an earlier vehicle than others?
Old 03-21-2007, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by carpersn
Based on his forum join date it looks like the build could be in Aug/Sep '06. My '06 S430 had that surgery (replace valve body and readaptation) and it cured the problem.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:08 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
if you're right, NBJ, i wish i could drive that little in that amount of time! I do hope it's an early build so that will indicate that MB has resolved the issue for those of us with later BD's.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

if you're right, NBJ, i wish i could drive that little in that amount of time! I do hope it's an early build so that will indicate that MB has resolved the issue for those of us with later BD's.
Without my 5100 mile trip across country in the S550, I would only have 5500 miles on it (and that would include the 800+ miles from delivery in Denver to home) and it will be a year old in April...:-)
Old 03-25-2007, 01:19 AM
LDH

07 GL450,
late july (last week) early aug (first week)
Old 03-28-2007, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Update - Was called by the dealership to bring the car back for another software update. Took it back and asked them what was this update for. Was told that it's the "latest" flash and that was it. Since I had squeaked before, this was an in-and-out appointment. To my surprise and delight, much improvement is noticed. While, IMO, shifts are not smooth all the time it is rare (maybe once a day) that I notice anything amiss.

Going to call the SM to get details and see what he says. Thanks to all y'all for good advice.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:58 AM

S55, ML350
very strange

I have been telling everyone how smooth the transmission is in my GL. Very impressed with it. Then again maybe it feels smooth because I drive my CLS with 600+ pounds of torque like a mad man and I can't touch the pedal without the car lurching forward.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Transmission quality