Transmission quality

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by mrademacher
I have been telling everyone how smooth the transmission is in my GL. Very impressed with it. Then again maybe it feels smooth because I drive my CLS with 600+ pounds of torque like a mad man and I can't touch the pedal without the car lurching forward.
Now that you mention pedal to the metal, I have noticed that GL's tranny is very smooth when you "hit it". Slow speeds seem to bring out the worse in the tranny.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:34 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
Definitely slow speeds...having a little more drive-time under my belt, i have noticed now that the only times i notice any "undue harshness" from the transmission is at low speed...the worst i've experienced (2x) was going up a hill, i had let off the gas, then i attempted to give it more gas, and the transmission jerked abit. I don't know what, if any, role the turbo would play in that (not spooling fast enough, etc.) since mine is the CDI.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL450 (Alabaster White/Black Interior)
I now hear what everyone is saying. I have had mine for a week now (I'll try to post pictures soon) and last night was my first bumper to bumper trip in it(I-15 here in Las Vegas around 5 o'clock). I really don't have any issues with it on the upshift but do have issues with it on the downshift. I am not really sure why the transmission is programmed to downshift as much as it does. If it would just stay in the higher gears (2nd or 3rd) at slower speeds I think it would be a much smoother experience. I am no engineer or mechanic but it sure seems like 1st gear is geared way too low and that's what causes the jerking motions. At higher speeds it's smooth as silk. Just my opinion......... I certainly can live with it but like the others have said I expect a whole lot more from a car that costs as much as these things do. When I get my 1,000-3,000 mile service I will definitely ask for any updates.......On a more positive note, other than this issue, I could not be more happy with the car. It is an absolute joy to drive. The engine, ride, and build quality are really impressive. I got the apperance package which has roof rack cross bars. Anything above 40 and these things definitely make some noise. I am going to take them off tomorrow. The side mirrors on these things are definitely too small but I knew this going into the deal.....
Old 03-31-2007, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by BeanCounter
I now hear what everyone is saying. I have had mine for a week now (I'll try to post pictures soon) and last night was my first bumper to bumper trip in it(I-15 here in Las Vegas around 5 o'clock). I really don't have any issues with it on the upshift but do have issues with it on the downshift. I am not really sure why the transmission is programmed to downshift as much as it does. If it would just stay in the higher gears (2nd or 3rd) at slower speeds I think it would be a much smoother experience. I am no engineer or mechanic but it sure seems like 1st gear is geared way too low and that's what causes the jerking motions. At higher speeds it's smooth as silk. Just my opinion......... I certainly can live with it but like the others have said I expect a whole lot more from a car that costs as much as these things do. When I get my 1,000-3,000 mile service I will definitely ask for any updates.......On a more positive note, other than this issue, I could not be more happy with the car. It is an absolute joy to drive. The engine, ride, and build quality are really impressive. I got the apperance package which has roof rack cross bars. Anything above 40 and these things definitely make some noise. I am going to take them off tomorrow. The side mirrors on these things are definitely too small but I knew this going into the deal.....
These are the latest TSB's and they pertain to tranny and crossbars.

Issue Date TSB Number Title
Mar 30, 2007

Campaign: Model X164 (GL) Model Year 2007
MB determinded affected vehicles had no roof crossbars:
Place Roof Rack Crossbars in Vehicle (48 vehicles affected, check VMI)

Mar 29, 2007

T-B-27.00/96

All Light Truck Vehicles Equipped with Transmission 722.9
Trans. in Limp-Home Mode or Harsh Engagement After Programming / SCN Coding:
scan fault codes

Mar 29, 2007

T-B-72.00/73a

Revision: Addition of Note and Warranty Information
Door Lock Knobs Jumping Up and Down: reposition sealing boot

Mar 28, 2007

T-B-27.60/65a

Revision: Applicable Models Updated
All Light Truck Models Equipped with 7G-Tronic (722.9) Transmission
Learning in Selection Range Sensor Not Possible After EHS Replacement: reinstall EHS

Mar 28, 2007

T-B-27.35/97

All Light Truck Models Equipped with 7G-Tronic (722.9) Transmission
No Transfer of Power from Transmission: reinstall oil guide pipe
Old 03-31-2007, 01:04 PM

NevadaJack,

Thanks for the info. Regarding the TSB on the crossbars I am assuming that means they are saying to take them off and put them in the car??????

Thanks..........
Old 03-31-2007, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GL 320 CDI, 2008 M5
tranny/crossbars

I have had my GL320 for six days and it has 230 miles on it now.

The truck came with the crossbars in the trunk. The dealer told me that he would install them if I wanted but they made a lot of noise and he recommended that I put them on when and if I need them. This may be part of the TSB about the crossbars.

As far as the transmission, the one in my truck is absolutely smooth. Maybe the boys down in Vance corrected the hard shifting before it left the plant.

On another note, I bought the premium package that comes with a luggage net. But instead it looks like I got a cargo divider, the kind you put up behind the second row to keep a dog out of the front. Did your GL come with a regular cargo net or with this divider thing?
Old 03-31-2007, 04:20 PM

Oinick,

I've got the premium package as well and mine came with the "divider" thing that you are talking about. I thought it was supposed to be a cargo net as well but I have the same thing you are talking about. I doubt I'll ever use mine. Regarding the cross bars, they definetely make some very noticeable noice when you get above 40. Regarding the transmission, mine is plenty smooth but it really makes the car lurch when it downshifts in bumper to bumper traffic........
Old 04-01-2007, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
The Cargo net is a misnomer. What really comes is a divider that won't let pets, kids, in laws, etc. to come to the front Just kidding on kids

Back to transmission, now that I am past the 3000 miles, I have developed an acute case of lead foot. Yesterday, I took off from a traffic light and did not feel anything - bump, jerk, nada........So I am leaning to believe that -

1. The car does adapt to your style but it takes it a while.
2. Tranny issues for some reasons are in low ranges and only when in "auto" shift mode.

I am not ready to call it silk just yet but it's working it's way. It's definitely at the point that I can live with it. And, in the big picture, I am more than happy to live with this flaw (the way it is now) for the rest of the car is just purrfection.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:04 PM
Almost a Member!

I am at 13k miles on mine. I will prob take mine in sometime next week for the latest update you got but mine id definitly still there and almost embarassing when i have people in the car!
Old 04-02-2007, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
frank621 - like others told me, don't take no for an answer. Be firm but be polite.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:13 PM
Almost a Member!

any updates?
Old 04-17-2007, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by frank621
any updates?

Hey Frank - been 3 or 4 weeks since last dealer visit and have been very pleased with the transmission since. Very occasional bumps but nothing major.

Trust me, I have been paying extra attention
Old 04-18-2007, 12:41 AM
Almost a Member!

00 BMW 528it, 03 Duramax, 07 GL320
This thread has been very informative.

We purchased my wife's new GL320 exactly one week ago. It now has 400 miles on the odometer. Without any knowledge of this thread and the seemingly widespread problem, already this morning I dropped off our new GL at the dealer for the 2-1 kickdown issue(I find that the tranny hunts at slower speeds as well). I have never experienced a downshift like this in any other vehicle. I find it annoying.

It's good to hear that the dealer has finally resolved the problem for you oknish, that gives me great hope.

To me price of the vehicle is a non-issue since I would have returned it to the dealer even if it were a Kia Rio or Hyundai Accent. In other words this is unnacceptable at any price. I can only imagine the stress stuff like this must cause the Germans at Mercedes back in the Fatherland(my dad being a german immigrant who also happens to be an engineer with no tolerance for anything but the best).

I love this vehicle, but holy @#$! does mercedes have problems if this plagues the ML and RL also.

Last edited by str8line; 04-18-2007 at 12:51 AM.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
str8line - from what I understand, via posts on this and other forums, that this issue was much worse in ML Class. And, yeah, this is the stuff that will generate some teutonic nightmares

To me it seemed like that the issue is due to the transmission being all electronic. Bright side to that is the fact that, in my case, software updates seemed to have solved the issues. I rode the dealer pretty hard and refused to take no for an answer. Recommend you do the same. Don't make it personal rather focus on facts. Wonder how many folks didn't press the issue and have now forsaken MB for good.

And, IMO, the low range hunt gets better as the car "adapts" to your driving style. 2 -1 kickdown is well documented and plenty of TSBs are out on that. Holler if you need references.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:55 PM

GL450
My 2 week old GL450 is off to the dealership tomorrow for a service check. Today I experienced a sudden jerk at around 40-45 mph. The check engine light was activated and an error message flashed about the ESP being deactivated???? Later in the day the service light would not turn off. I called my service advisor and I have an appointment for tomorrow am....