GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Read Entertainment System Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Read Entertainment System Questions

Can anybody give me a bit of advice? My current car is a Toyota Landcruiser with the following in car entertainment setup:

2 x Xbox’s (under driver and passenger seats)
1 x Clarion MSS 433 Commander (4 inputs, 3 Outputs)
2 x Wireless Headsets off the Clarion
1 x FM Modulator wired into the aerial socket of the radio
2 x 5” Headrest mounted screens

This setup allows me to select which xbox audio I can pump through the car speakers, and the kids in the back can select either their own xbox or watch the other one.
I’m looking to upgrade to a GL 320CDI and giving the wife the landcruiser, but I have a few questions regarding the factory fit RES.

1) The factory fit DVD player has two separate AUX inputs can the headrest screens select these individually? So screen 1 plays say AUX 2 and screen 2 plays AUX 1 at the same time or do both screen play from one selected global source.

2)If they are separate can you select which one is fed through to the command unit?

3) If they are not separate why have two AUX inputs?

4)Does the sound and the video for the RES link into the MOST or the D2B system (sorry still not sure which system the new GL uses) and if so is it possible to add my own separate audio or video sources into this system to each monitor in turn.

5)I’m looking to mount modified (slimmed down and larger hard drives) Xbox’s into the storage compartment above the spare wheel.
a. Has anybody got experience of getting wires into this area, I imagine I would need a good 12V supply, place to mount at least 2 sets of AUX connectors and possibly connectors to enable the input sources to be switched remotely.

6) What are your thoughts on the factory fit system, Am I better to get it fitted and then hack its guts and change it to my own needs, or go with a retro fit system.
a. What are the outputs from the factory fit DVD player and do you have access to each separate audio and video source for each of the rear monitors?

7) Does anybody have a factory wiring manual for the Factory fit RES system so I can see the connectors and colour codes used?
Old 04-15-2007, 10:08 PM

Depends where I'm going.
Yes, the AUX and RES DVD player can be selected through the Command screen and you can choose which source you want to listen to. Yes, one person can watch a DVD while another watches or plays whatever is connected to the AUX input. The problem is that you have to use the remote control that comes with the unit to select which input you want for each screen separately. The remote is lame and requires that you flip a switch to select left or right screen. I was clueless for about 10 minutes until I saw the little switch. I still don't know exactly how to change the screen input either, I just get to it by trial and error. There is a 12v aux output at the rear of the hatch area so you could pull power from there for your hard drives. If you get the factory wiring manual, let me know because I really want to put a switch on the vehicle speed sensor so I can disable the automatic ride height lowering above 50mph feature.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:45 PM

1997 E320 Sedan
See the post listed below for photos of the back of the factory RSE that I have. I was going to add another source myself without having to use the jacks in front of the unit but I couldn't. I also was looking to connect a wireless transmitter for headphones but that got nixed too.

previous discussion
Old 04-18-2007, 04:24 PM

Thanks for the responses, I will keep you informed of any of any other details that I find. One quick question for autosaurus I notice on your other thread you have a picture of the connectors on the back of the dvd player, is that one connector for each screen? and if so can you tell me how many cables there are in each connector and the colour codes.

cheers

Ian
Old 04-18-2007, 06:51 PM

1997 E320 Sedan
Originally Posted by vampsthevampyre
One quick question for autosaurus I notice on your other thread you have a picture of the connectors on the back of the dvd player, is that one connector for each screen? and if so can you tell me how many cables there are in each connector and the colour codes.

Ian
I don't know for certain but I do think there is one per screen. Getting to it isn't very easy either.