GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Trailer towing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Limiting" /disabling sixth gear...

Originally Posted by oknish
Great to hear about your positive experience, kbeltran. How did you "limit" the transmission?
I simply disabled sixth gear by using the right hand shift button located behind the steering wheel. Simply select Gear 5.

Also, by going down steep grades you can limit the transmission to first thereby taking advantage of "engine braking".

Lots of luck towing...
Old 05-31-2007, 08:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kbeltran
I simply disabled sixth gear by using the right hand shift button located behind the steering wheel. Simply select Gear 5.

Also, by going down steep grades you can limit the transmission to first thereby taking advantage of "engine braking".

Lots of luck towing...
Since the GL doesn't have a regular "gear selector" the use of the paddle shifters is the only way to downshift on long steep grades - where you would ordinarly shift to a lower gear in a standard car using the shifter.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by boxboss
Since the GL doesn't have a regular "gear selector" the use of the paddle shifters is the only way to downshift on long steep grades - where you would ordinarly shift to a lower gear in a standard car using the shifter.
Can you not set the cruise with a trailer hooked up, and doesn't the cruise use shifting and the stability control system to limit your downhill speed?
Old 05-31-2007, 11:42 AM

Use your left hand button behind the steering wheel to downshift to 5th. You can see what gear you are in in the center display. Use your right hand button to up-shift. You can downshift sequentially with the left button, but you must use the right button to get back to whatever gear you want.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by StevethePilot
Can you not set the cruise with a trailer hooked up, and doesn't the cruise use shifting and the stability control system to limit your downhill speed?
I was speaking in general terms - not with a trailer.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
What about using the DSR (Downhill Speed Regulator) button? You can limit it to control downhill speed between 4 to 10 MPH. Wonder how that will work while towing.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:13 AM
LDH

07 GL450,
Originally Posted by Jack450
Hey LDH, does the weight dist. hitch just lessen the tongue weight. Also, have you tried towing without it? I'll probably be hooking up the boat this weekend and was wondering if I should get this and the sway control? It's about 6K lbs. Problem is I don't know the tongue weight.
I dont even bother using the sway or load bars if I am towing in town or on my local freeway as the GL just picks itself back up after trailer is hooked up and it tracks fine.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:56 PM

2007 GL320 CDI, 2001 TJ Rockcrawler, 2005 Scoobie STI
For those of you that have mounted trailer brake controllers...

Where did you mount them up near the front of the vehicle?

LDH, I know that you struggled with the wiring back in the fall of 2006 and I beleive that MZB has updated the wiring a bit, so I don't think that it should be too terribly complicated to get my Prodigy wired up... but I am just wondering where you mounted the controller unit.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:55 PM

ML500
You guys are making me nervous.
I ordered an 08 GL320 to replace my ML500 as towing vehicle. I've never had any issues with my ML.
To the GL320 owners towing 5-6k's, is the vehicle powerful enough to go uphill 70-75mphs? What MPG's are you getting? My dealership doesn't let me test the truck with my trailer, but I'm trying to convinced them anyways. I need more opinions.
I also want to know about the Directv service, I'd like to get one, but don't know where to start. I've seen them in Suburbans, Excursions and Hummers, it will be nice to have one when at the race track.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:58 PM

ML500
Originally Posted by 07_R & G 320's
I have a 320cdi with brake controller.

My car hauler trailer is 1,950 pounds. All steel.

I put my R320cdi (for sale by the way) on the trailer and towed it for about 150 miles.

No issues, no drama. Got 22.5 mpg at an even speed of 55-60 without a/c.

Hills were no issue at all, the diesel having massive reserves of torque. I would never buy a GL450, 500, or any gas engine again. This 320cdi pulls just fine.

I also took the trailer with 3 quads on it (all 4x4 heavy quads) up the mountains on a dirt track. This old road was originally a switch back train track with rails removed, originally built by Chinese labor in the 1890's. It's not for the weak, if you are towing a trailer. It is 28 miles each way, elevation changes from 1400 to 6,500 in that 28 miles of dirt.

I got 18.5 mpg up and down. I averaged 18 miles per hour. I used A/C for half of the trip, the lower half up and down. VEEERRRYY glad I had trailer brakes. Anyone that tows without them deserves the inevitable wreck they are going to have.

Tows a boat without issue, even in wind. 21 mpg, 65 mph, A/C, 4 adults, 1 dog, lots of beer. Not one fish btw.

REMEMBER: You get what you pay for in a brake controller. UHAUL has a great unit that is digital. However, most 'installers' at UHAUL are not the highest paid engineers in the lot. Buy the unit at UHAUL, and have Mercedes install it. This unit compensates for sway.

SO IN SUMMARY: If towing is in your future, I would get a GL320cdi with a proper digital brake controller. I have a standing order for a GL420cdi V-8 when they come out next year in the US, this one with distronic and keyless go.

This is not the boat I towed, but very similar in weight and size.
You make me feel safe. I ordered a brake controller and it will be installed at the dealer since the truck comes pre-wired for one.
I'd like to know more about your satellite dish on the roof.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:10 AM

NJ Edison, ACURA TL , GL450
going back

Let me ask a basic question. If I were to buy the Trailer hitch from MB, is it possible to install yourself or I have to shell out another 800 for labor ?
Old 07-25-2007, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by GLDriver
Let me ask a basic question. If I were to buy the Trailer hitch from MB, is it possible to install yourself or I have to shell out another 800 for labor ?
From what I have heard and/or read, it's a fairly complicated act beyond putting it on the rear of the truck, involving a lot of wiring and electronics. That said, could a competent handy person do worse than an MB tech? I mean, I know these aren't British cars, but still ...
Old 07-25-2007, 02:11 PM

ML500
You can do it, I've done it in my first ML, but I strongly recommend you to get the trailer hitch from the factory, even the techs screw up more than once.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:24 PM

You can do it, I've done it in my first ML, but I strongly recommend you to get the trailer hitch from the factory, even the techs screw up more than once
I wish Truck is already here. I do feel sometimes that I need a trailer hitch especially when I am picking up loads of gardening stuff or other material for home improvement etc.. I could have just hooked up a small trailer without having to worry about messing up the truck. How hard it is to just install the hitch itself (not the electronics)
Old 07-25-2007, 11:28 PM
Almost a Member!

2007 E 320, 2007 GL 320
I am pulling my 4200lb Cobalt and trailer which is about 1200lb with my GL 320 with no problems at all. Pulling on roads that have a lot of hills I am getting about 13mpg. If you are concerned with its pulling capabilities, dont worry yourself. It pulls just fine.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

How hard it is to just install the hitch itself (not the electronics)
I wouldn't recommend it, there are too many advantages to having everything hooked up. I'd bite the bullet and put it on properly. There's something involving the stability control that if the trailer starts going squirrely on you, you tap the brakes and the stab cont regains control of the trailer. It's just a good idea to do it right on a vehicle like the GL.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:33 AM

Aby idea

Any idea how much they charge for labor ? I would recommend anyone looking to get a new Gl to have a trailer hitch. Much cheaper from factory and eventually you would need it
Old 07-28-2007, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 203 Likes on 181 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Any idea how much they charge for labor ? I would recommend anyone looking to get a new Gl to have a trailer hitch. Much cheaper from factory and eventually you would need it
Just bought GL from dealer lot, unfortunately without hitch factory installed.

$500 factory installed.

$2200 dealer installed.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by lkchris
Just bought GL from dealer lot, unfortunately without hitch factory installed.

$500 factory installed.

$2200 dealer installed.
WHOA!

It can be purchased online for about $800, and at my dealer it can be purchased and installed for slightly less. I must suggest you find another dealer somewhere - that's total BS, that amount!
Old 07-30-2007, 03:02 AM

For those folks that are wondering just how well the GL 320 CDI diesel pulls a trailer, I just finished my first towing test tonight...

I loaded the Jeep onto a 14 foot car hauler, and towed it around for about 120 miles.

First I hit the truck scales just to see what the weights were.

GL without trailer: 5800 Lbs on the dot (with my 230 lb butt in the driver's seat)

Total Trailer Weight: 6340 lbs.

Total weight of the trailer and the GL: 12140 lbs.

Tongue weight of the loaded trailer: 650 lbs

Conclusion: IT PULLS LIKE A CHAMP! Not once did I feel that the engine did not have enough power. It pulled just fine up and down hills, and the trailer tracked nice and true. The Prodigy brake controller did its job well and worked quite nicely with the GL.

A few statistics:

Fuel mileage with cruise control set at 65 MPH: 17.1
Fuel mileage with cruise control set at 75 MPH: 13.4

One other observation: One of the trailer tail lights decided to burn out along the way. When this happened, the GL recognized the drop in voltage and displayed 2 messages in the driver's speedo console indicating that the trailer brake light was out and that the trailer right turn signal lamp was out. In addition the flasher flashed at double rate when using the right turn signal... I was able to swap the bulb immediately and get right back on the road. I was not expecting this feature!
Attached Thumbnails Trailer towing-img_7679.jpg   Trailer towing-img_7682.jpg  
Old 07-30-2007, 08:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by Danno4x4
For those folks that are wondering just how well the GL 320 CDI diesel pulls a trailer, I just finished my first towing test tonight...

I loaded the Jeep onto a 14 foot car hauler, and towed it around for about 120 miles.

First I hit the truck scales just to see what the weights were.

GL without trailer: 5800 Lbs on the dot (with my 230 lb butt in the driver's seat)

Total Trailer Weight: 6340 lbs.

Total weight of the trailer and the GL: 12140 lbs.

Tongue weight of the loaded trailer: 650 lbs

Conclusion: IT PULLS LIKE A CHAMP! Not once did I feel that the engine did not have enough power. It pulled just fine up and down hills, and the trailer tracked nice and true. The Prodigy brake controller did its job well and worked quite nicely with the GL.

A few statistics:

Fuel mileage with cruise control set at 65 MPH: 17.1
Fuel mileage with cruise control set at 75 MPH: 13.4

One other observation: One of the trailer tail lights decided to burn out along the way. When this happened, the GL recognized the drop in voltage and displayed 2 messages in the driver's speedo console indicating that the trailer brake light was out and that the trailer right turn signal lamp was out. In addition the flasher flashed at double rate when using the right turn signal... I was able to swap the bulb immediately and get right back on the road. I was not expecting this feature!
Quite a testament to the GL and it's hauling ability. You should send these pictures to MB along with the narrative...it may end up in an ad.

Good report Danno for others who want to know the trailing capabilities.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dude! How cool is that? Now I forget - did you order the hitch from the factory or did you have it done at Schumacher?

STP
Old 07-30-2007, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by StevethePilot
Dude! How cool is that? Now I forget - did you order the hitch from the factory or did you have it done at Schumacher?

STP
I got it from the factory, I had planned on using the GL to tow the Jeep when I ordered it back in December.

The first long distance test will probably be in September... Phoenix to Moab, Utah, round trip.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
How cool is that?
Old 07-30-2007, 04:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
19 MB G63, '18 RR Dawn, '15 RR ATB LWB, '14/'08 MB GL550, '11 MB CL63 AMG, '11 X5 50i etc etc
Wow this is actually a real truck and not just a pretty faced MB.... I guess the extra HP in the GL550 won't hurt either...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Trailer towing