Still having transmission issues...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 09:26 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
00 BMW 528it, 03 Duramax, 07 GL320
Still having transmission issues...

I picked up our week old GL320 yesterday from the dealer after dropping it off for service and the tranny still downshifts too early. The 3-2, and 2-1 downshifts occur too early and induce engine breaking.

According to the work order the code they used to try to resolve the problem was:

T-B-27.60/62E

I also had a major transmission clunk yesterday just after picking it up from the dealer while driving in stop and go traffic at about 25 mph. As I recall, it happened as I gently rolled on the throttle after coasting for a bit.

I am so impressed with this vehicle, yet this is putting a damper on it. The downshifts are totally unnacceptable. It's not something minor that I can ignore. At this point I'm not sure what to do except tell the dealer about it and hope they have another update for the electronics to try.

Last edited by str8line; 04-20-2007 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C230; 2007 GL450 (2008 GL450 on order and due to arrive early to mid Aug.)
I have a 2006 C230 sport and have the same problem periodically. My C230 also has the 7 speed auto trans.

I have brought my car into the dealer on many occassions for an update, flash, transmission service, etc. Nothing seemed to solve the problem on a permanent basis. I have been told/read that the problem manifests itself because the transmission is a 'learning' transmission which adapts to your driving style (which could be different in different traffic).

I have found a temporary solution in one of the posts on the C-Class (W203) threads by a senior member named GMW who describes a manual reset which you can do on your own. I have do this every month or so or whenever the problem starts to re-occur. I don't know how to link to his post (all credit to GMW) but the thread is called "Downshifting problem in C230 (Year 06)" and it is in the C-Class (W203) section. The step-by-step desciption of what to do is in a post dated 08-05-2006. (maybe someone can link it here if solution works in the GL). I adopt GMW's disclaimers but have done this several times in my C230, all of which had great results.

By the way, this problem with the transmission did not stop me from leasing a GL450 (Pewter/Black) -- for the wife/family -- which will be delivered to our home by this time next week.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
The downshift jerks are common and should be resolved by dealer. My advice is for you to be firm but polite with them. Tell them to document everything they do so when you call MB for tech assistance you will have details. Don't take no for an answer. Ask to speack with Service Supervisor, Service Manager, General Manager, in that order.