GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Tire Pressure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2007 | 04:23 PM

GL450 (Alabaster White/Black Interior)
Tire Pressure

A question for anyone knowledge on the tire pressure monitoring system. I just got back from lunch and when I turned the car off I got a message to check the tire pressure. I looked at all four tires and none of them appear to be low but I will check them all with a guage when I get home. I am running the tires at 2 pounds higher then the suggested inflation (which is 32 psi) as I have usually done in all of my other cars. Would higher than normal pressure make the indicator go off? Thanks in advance......
Old 04-25-2007 | 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by BeanCounter
A question for anyone knowledge on the tire pressure monitoring system. I just got back from lunch and when I turned the car off I got a message to check the tire pressure. I looked at all four tires and none of them appear to be low but I will check them all with a guage when I get home. I am running the tires at 2 pounds higher then the suggested inflation (which is 32 psi) as I have usually done in all of my other cars. Would higher than normal pressure make the indicator go off? Thanks in advance......
I don't think the system detects high pressures, only low ones. Also, even if it did detect highs it would not react to only 2 psi. Let us know what your readings showed.
Old 04-26-2007 | 11:10 AM

So I go home last night, turn off the engine, and the tire pressure warning does not come on. I let the tire pressures cool down for a while and check them and they are all right where I set them. I reset the tire pressure monitoring system to make sure everything is probably set. I come to work today, turn off the car, and the tire pressure warning goes off again. So I bust out the insane 600 page owners manual (what gives???) and start reading some more on this topic and it talks about radio transmission equipment in or near the vehicle could cause the TPMS to malfunction. I've got a cell tower next to our office and a construnction site on the other side. I guess it could be causing it but I will get it looked at when I get the 1,000-3,000 service done. Anyone else have this kind of problem???
Old 04-26-2007 | 12:03 PM

1992 500E, 2006 E500, 2007 GL 450
My GL had 28lbs in the tires when I brought it home. I raised the pressure to 35lbs all around. Tire pressure monitor was unaffected. 35 lbs seemed to firm up the ride a little bit but it still rides like a heavy luxury sedan.
Old 07-06-2007 | 12:01 PM
Almost a Member!

I am having the same problem now

That message is getting annoying it has been going on for the last three weeks. I am going to my service shop to see what the problem is.

Did you ever get your tire pressure warning resolved
Old 07-06-2007 | 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by coloradokid
That message is getting annoying it has been going on for the last three weeks. I am going to my service shop to see what the problem is.

Did you ever get your tire pressure warning resolved
Yes, I started parking on the other side our office building (away from the cell phone tower). I am not sure if that was the cause, but I am not getting any tire pressure messages any more. If you look in your owners manual it does discuss this situation..........Hope that helps....