GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

CDI HOSE ISSUE:It Is Past Time For An Informal Recall

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 03:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 GL320 CDI, 2001 TJ Rockcrawler, 2005 Scoobie STI
So it sounds like the active replacement is for the Q1 hose.

There are some folks that were having problems with the Q2 hose as well, and the instruction for the dealers is to clean the hose mount really well, and put the Q2 hose back on.

There IS a Q3 hose that is being placed on Vehicles with an original build date of at the very latest 4/26/07 and later (mine had a build date of 4/26 and it came with the Q3 hose)

It does not appear that the dealers have anything to do with the Q3 hose. The only way to get the Q3 hose is from the factory.

We are creeping up on 800 miles on our GL320 and still no problems at all...
Old 06-20-2007, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 GL 350, 2011 E 350, 2005 F-250
Originally Posted by Danno4x4
So it sounds like the active replacement is for the Q1 hose.

There are some folks that were having problems with the Q2 hose as well, and the instruction for the dealers is to clean the hose mount really well, and put the Q2 hose back on.

There IS a Q3 hose that is being placed on Vehicles with an original build date of at the very latest 4/26/07 and later (mine had a build date of 4/26 and it came with the Q3 hose)

It does not appear that the dealers have anything to do with the Q3 hose. The only way to get the Q3 hose is from the factory.

We are creeping up on 800 miles on our GL320 and still no problems at all...
Have 3000 miles on Q2 repair, and 11000 total. No responses to my earlier question about second hose failures, so I think they have solved this problem.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:43 PM

1052 miles on a Q3 build date end of May, 2007. Drove 160 miles with 5 teenagers and all their stuff, up/down fast/slow, without difficulty.
The GL is a great road trip vehicle and I feel lucky to be able to own one.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:38 PM

ML500
I went yesterday to test drive one, but they only had GL450's.
I immediately asked the sales rep about the hose, and he told me it has been fixed in the MY07, and the MY08 won't have this issue. So I ordered a MY08, and I told him to tell the dealer owner if I ever have any issues with this car because of the hose I will be returning it and expecting a full refund. He said they will discuss it, but can't promise anything.
When my vehicle arrives I will take it for a long test drive before delivery, and I will ask to write in the contract my petition to take the car back if I get stranded in the middle of the road since I drive back and for with my trailer once a month to CA, and I won't take this crap from MB, I'd rather get an F350.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:57 PM

2007 R320
Originally Posted by BETO
I immediately asked the sales rep about the hose, and he told me it has been fixed in the MY07, and the MY08 won't have this issue. So I ordered a MY08, and I told him to tell the dealer owner if I ever have any issues with this car because of the hose I will be returning it and expecting a full refund. He said they will discuss it, but can't promise anything.
When my vehicle arrives I will take it for a long test drive before delivery, and I will ask to write in the contract my petition to take the car back if I get stranded in the middle of the road since I drive back and for with my trailer once a month to CA, and I won't take this crap from MB, I'd rather get an F350.
I'll doubt if you can get the SR to write the hose contingency on the sale contract for the GL 320.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
I agree with RDriver on the hose contingency in the contract. They will not agree to that. The warranty will take care of those problems and if it is a continuing problem then there are options to deal with problems like that.

In addition, you may have a problem taking it for a "long test drive before delivery." If for some reason you would decide to not purchase the GL, then they have a new vehicle with high mileage to sell. Fletcher Jones is not always cooperative on such matters...:-)
Old 07-05-2007, 05:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2021 GLS450, 2015 E250BT 4Matic, 2007 GL320CDI, 2005 SLK350, 2001 SLK320
I think the SR is telling you whatever you want to hear so you'll place the order. Once the car is delivered, he's counting on you falling in love with it and backing off on the written hose refund clause. I doubt any dealer will agree, up front, to go beyond their legal obligations in Lemon Laws.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:20 PM

The dealer doesn't need to accept a responsibility held by the manufacturer. If your GL malfunctions for any reason, as any vehicle could, MB will fix any covered items. Things tend to go wrong at the wrong time. My Gl 320 CDI held up well on a 420 mile return trip today with heavy a/c use and all seats occupied.MPG: 23+.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
I will ask to write in the contract my petition to take the car back if I get stranded in the middle of the road since I drive back and for with my trailer once a month to CA, and I won't take this crap from MB, I'd rather get an F350.
I've seen it said already here but I'll echo that thier response to that would probably be, "That's okay, because that guy over there will take yours instead of waiting for the one he's ready to order." I do believe that you're right to think that, to want that, but I sincerely doubt that'll happen.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:48 AM

Hi, new member here....

Yesterday, about 5300 miles into my new '07 GL, FOR THE THIRD time (1st at 800 miles, 2nd at about 1500 miles), the hose popped off, and I was stranded on the side of the freeway with my mom and dog in the car, with cars whizzing past us at 70 mph within 12 inches, and temperatures well above 100 degrees for close to an hour. The car would shake violently when turned on, and then stall, so A/C was not an option. We were all de-hydrated and really mad by the time the tow got there.

Anyways, since this has happened 3 times, I have lost all trust in GL320s, and maybe even in Mercedes as a company. This is getting completely unacceptable because it is putting my family and me at risk of serious injury. It looses all power and decelerates very rapidly, and so I'm left on the side of the road with risk of a serious accident. I've even missed a flight to an important meeting because of this when it stalled on the way to the airport (back when it happened the first time). Thankfully, I could get that meeting delayed for a day.

The second time it happened, the dealership had my car for over 2 weeks, and they said they ordered a new hose from Germany and that the problem would never reoccur. I guess that was BS.

There is no way I would buy a turbo deisel ever again. I don't know what to do now, because we own a $75,000 piece of crap. If you have any advice on what I should do, please let me know. My personal email is vdshenoy@gmail.com
Old 08-10-2007, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by vdshenoy
Hi, new member here....

Yesterday, about 5300 miles into my new '07 GL, FOR THE THIRD time (1st at 800 miles, 2nd at about 1500 miles), the hose popped off, and I was stranded on the side of the freeway with my mom and dog in the car, with cars whizzing past us at 70 mph within 12 inches, and temperatures well above 100 degrees for close to an hour. The car would shake violently when turned on, and then stall, so A/C was not an option. We were all de-hydrated and really mad by the time the tow got there.

Anyways, since this has happened 3 times, I have lost all trust in GL320s, and maybe even in Mercedes as a company. This is getting completely unacceptable because it is putting my family and me at risk of serious injury. It looses all power and decelerates very rapidly, and so I'm left on the side of the road with risk of a serious accident. I've even missed a flight to an important meeting because of this when it stalled on the way to the airport (back when it happened the first time). Thankfully, I could get that meeting delayed for a day.

The second time it happened, the dealership had my car for over 2 weeks, and they said they ordered a new hose from Germany and that the problem would never reoccur. I guess that was BS.

There is no way I would buy a turbo deisel ever again. I don't know what to do now, because we own a $75,000 piece of crap. If you have any advice on what I should do, please let me know. My personal email is vdshenoy@gmail.com
You may want to do a search on this forum for "intercooler hose" or posts from AutoSaurus. He had this recurring problem and eventually his GL was re-purchased by MB for the full purchase price. Here is the thread that is pertinent to the buyback.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ght=autosaurus

Contact your MB Zone office and discuss problem with them and indicate you no longer trust the vehicle and want a MB buy-back initiated. Also, check your states Lemon Laws.

Wish you good luck. I cancelled my order after a five month wait due to this problem being prominent several months ago.

Last edited by Nevada Jack; 08-10-2007 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:01 AM

2007 GL 320 CDI, 2008 M5
Anyways, since this has happened 3 times, I have lost all trust in GL320s, and maybe even in Mercedes as a company. This is getting completely unacceptable because it is putting my family and me at risk of serious injury. It looses all power and decelerates very rapidly, and so I'm left on the side of the road with risk of a serious accident.

First, I am so sorry that you are having to deal with this problem. I say that because my GL 320 with 9000 hard miles on it now has had no problems at all. It is a great truck.

That said, once you have lost faith in a car it is time to move on. Your case looks a lot like Autosaurus' and it is not unreasonable for you to expect a fourth hose to pop off.

My wife had an early 745i and we put up with it for 27 months. Looking back, it was in the shop for almost four months total time before it died at 2 AM in the pouring rain in a bad part of town. BMW bought it back as soon as we asked.

MBUSA should do the same for you, and already has for Autosaurus. If they hesitate, let them know that several thousand members of this forum are watching what they do in your case. Can they really risk having premium car buyers be leery of their customer service, especially after they have a problem that is now out there for all to see?

Good luck. Let us know how you make out.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
19 MB G63, '18 RR Dawn, '15 RR ATB LWB, '14/'08 MB GL550, '11 MB CL63 AMG, '11 X5 50i etc etc
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
You may want to do a search on this forum for "intercooler hose" or posts from AutoSaurus. He had this recurring problem and eventually his GL was re-purchased by MB for the full purchase price. Here is the thread that is pertinent to the buyback.

Contact your MB Zone office and discuss problem with them and indicate you no longer trust the vehicle and want a MB buy-back initiated. Also, check your states Lemon Laws.

Wish you good luck. I cancelled my order after a five month wait due to this problem being prominent several months ago.
NJ, can we be confident the 550 will be any better.. Owning an 85K "piece of crap" would be very frustrating.. Should we be waiting for Lexus' new LX flagship due out in January
Old 08-10-2007, 10:32 AM

2014 GL 450
Originally Posted by Waiting-4-550
NJ, can we be confident the 550 will be any better.. Owning an 85K "piece of crap" would be very frustrating.. Should we be waiting for Lexus' new LX flagship due out in January
Nobody has had this problem with the gasoline engine because the problem lies with the turbo diesel hose which doesn't exist on a gasoline engine. The 550 is not a diesel, so you (and NJ) should be fine.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have run the 5.5 engine and 7 speed transmission on the S now for over 15months and all I can say is...WOW! Not a whisper of a problem with the S since purchase...smooth as can be and will set you back in your seat.

The GL320 CDI is also a fine engine but somebody in Germany screwed up when they designed the intercooler connections for the US version. The car has run without incident for over a year or more in EU but the early US versions had the hose problem. Apparently it is still a potential problem.

I am confident the GL550 will be solid as a rock. If the LX was out today I would not even consider it against the GL550. MB has shown in the past couple of years and new model intros that they are again the leader and premium luxury car builder.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:31 AM

19 MB G63, '18 RR Dawn, '15 RR ATB LWB, '14/'08 MB GL550, '11 MB CL63 AMG, '11 X5 50i etc etc
Then why is it that Toyota has surpassed all in sales.. Hmmmmm? I know- better quality
Old 08-10-2007, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Then why is it that Toyota has surpassed all in sales.. Hmmmmm? I know- better quality
If you are concerned about the GL550 being a "piece of crap" then by all means cancel your order and wait on the LX570.

BTW, MB set a new US record in the first 7 months of 2007 for total MB sold. That must indicate some success with their new products.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack

Thank you guys very much for your promt and precise replies. I just got in touch with the Customer Assistance people at MB and filed an MB Buyback request. I have the name of the person I spoke to and an extension number as well. She seemed to be co-operative, so I did not have to say anything about having yall watching over this, any litigation issues and personal safety and stuff being compromised with their bad problem. They say 7-10 business days before they can get back to me. I'll keep y'all updated for sure. I will be going by the dealership in a couple hours to see about them delivering me a loaner car later in the day.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thank you guys very much for your promt and precise replies. I just got in touch with the Customer Assistance people at MB and filed an MB Buyback request. I have the name of the person I spoke to and an extension number as well. She seemed to be co-operative, so I did not have to say anything about having yall watching over this, any litigation issues and personal safety and stuff being compromised with their bad problem. They say 7-10 business days before they can get back to me. I'll keep y'all updated for sure. I will be going by the dealership in a couple hours to see about them delivering me a loaner car later in the day.
Glad to be of help. Hope all works out for you. Keep us up to date.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:22 PM

Give em hell as they say.. An angry and valid customer is a force to be reckoned with...
Old 08-10-2007, 12:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2021 GLS450, 2015 E250BT 4Matic, 2007 GL320CDI, 2005 SLK350, 2001 SLK320
Yesterday, about 5300 miles into my new '07 GL, FOR THE THIRD time (1st at 800 miles, 2nd at about 1500 miles), the hose popped off,
When was your GL built? Based on your mileage, you've probably got the Q1 or Q2 hose. They've been shipping with the Q3 for the past couple of months and it's been holding up well so far. (1600 miles and no issues with mine.) I'm not sure if they can retrofit a Q3 onto engines that shipped with a Q1 or Q2. Either way, you're right to ask for a refund after 3 failures and a loss of confidence in the vehicle. Good luck.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:14 PM

Give em hell as they say.. An angry and valid customer is a force to be reckoned with...
I'll be drafting a letter and sending it tonight to them in addition to the call.

I just went by the dealership and they said they were going to get new parts and fix it monday or tuesday.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you search you'll see I had two pop-offs before the problem was (apparantly) fixed on my GL320. I've loved it ever since, but like a very-hot girlfriend I've already caught cheating once (okay, twice, but at my weight and age who's counting). One more time and the love affair is over. I had fully expected a recall or service bulletin on this by now but I guess MB is counting on the rarity of it to keep them from having too much trouble.

I wonder if you could relate the build date of your GL and its hose's Q number?

Thanks,

STP
Old 08-10-2007, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by StevethePilot
If you search you'll see I had two pop-offs before the problem was (apparantly) fixed on my GL320. I've loved it ever since, but like a very-hot girlfriend I've already caught cheating once (okay, twice, but at my weight and age who's counting). One more time and the love affair is over. I had fully expected a recall or service bulletin on this by now but I guess MB is counting on the rarity of it to keep them from having too much trouble.

I wonder if you could relate the build date of your GL and its hose's Q number?

Thanks,

STP
I think I've read somewhere that towards the end of your VIN, if it say A277xx...x....then you've got Q3 hoses. Mine was A211...
Old 08-11-2007, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think I've read somewhere that towards the end of your VIN, if it say A277xx...x....then you've got Q3 hoses. Mine was A211...
Actually it says it right on the hose.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CDI HOSE ISSUE:It Is Past Time For An Informal Recall