GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

CDI HOSE ISSUE:It Is Past Time For An Informal Recall

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
Actually it says it right on the hose.
totally didnt notice that...maybe i should look more closely at the engine bay if I have to look at it again.....
Old 08-11-2007, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by vdshenoy
Totally didnt notice that...maybe i should look more closely at the engine bay if I have to look at it again.....
It's not easy to see, particularly on the back hose, but by putting my little digital behind and kind of underneath the front one (when the engine was cool!) I was able to get a shot of my Q2 hose.

Were you able to discover the build date?

STP
Old 08-11-2007, 11:20 PM

q3 hose, 2600 miles, no problems and 27 mpg on highway
Old 08-13-2007, 02:11 PM

The letter about the buyback to New Jersey went out today...I'm posting it up here so that you guys can read it and give me feedback, and also so that the MB people know that everyone here is watching how they handle this situation too. The letter went out from my mother, because she is the titled owner of the car.

Sub: Mercedes-Benz 2007 GL320CDI Buyback

Year: 2007
Make: Mercedes Benz
Model: GL320CDI
VIN: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

We purchased a new 2007 Barolo Red Mercedes-Benz GL320CDI from Mercedes Benz of Sugar Land at XXXXXXX on 02/02/2007 with 85 miles on the odometer. This sale may be looked up with MB of Sugar Land as Deal Number: XXXXX on 02/02/2007. We purchased the car outright with a check on the day of purchase.

A little over 2 weeks after the purchase, we were given a call from MB of Sugar Land to bring the car by and have our number plates installed on 02/22/2007. Just as we left the dealership after this and entered the ramp to US-59 N, there was a loss of power. The car started slowing down, and my son and I just barely made it to the shoulder of US-59 Northbound, about a mile north of the dealership. When we attempted to re-start the vehicle, it would shake violently and shut off. We were left stranded here for about an hour till a tow vehicle could be arranged to pick us up. MB of Sugar Land took a day to fix the car (Refer to MB of Sugar Land's Repair Order Invoice # XXXXXX). The invoice states that they did a couple road tests, charged the air cooler, R&R, and re-secured the air intake hose. We picked the car back up on 02/23/2007.

On 03/01/2007, just over a week after after initial repair work was performed, the same problem reoccurred. This time it was at Houston Intercontinental airport, on a stretch of road without a shoulder, and cars flying by at 55 mph. Again, there was a loss of power followed by shaking, eventually leading to the engine stalling, and again, we were stranded on the freeway for over an hour, with serious risk of accidents from vehicles passing by. The Airport Police had to come and assist with directing traffic to avoid an accident till the tow company from MB Sugar Land made it over there after one and a half hours. MB Sugar Land again took the car in for repairs (Refer to MB Sugar Land's Repair Order Invoice # XXXXXX). This time, they kept the car for over a week, claiming that they were ordering replacement parts from Germany, and that it would take longer. The car was ready for pickup on 03/09/2007. The invoice states that they charged the air cooler and performed tests to ensure perfect functionality.

After being assured by MB of Sugar Land that the hose had been replaced with a newer hose and clamp that was provided by MB, Germany, and that this problem would never reoccur, we picked up the car at the dealership. Five months went by without problems and we put an additional 4800 miles on the car in these five months. We did not take the car out on any trips outside of Houston because of fear of breaking down in the middle of nowhere and risking theft, burglary or worse.

On 08/09/2007, we were headed to the airport to pick up my son who had just arrived. Just as we got onto Beltway 8 in Houston, I felt the same kind of loss of power as the last 2 times. The car lost power and would not accelerate. We made it to the narrow shoulder, limping along, almost getting hit by three vehicles in the process. Cars were going past us at 70 mph, within 1-2 feet. The engine shut off and a/c went out after violently shaking. August in Houston is excruciatingly hot. Outside temperature was about 95 degrees, and the temperature inside the car started rising rapidly. The tow truck could not make it to us for about 50 minutes and it was impossible for us to step out of the car because of the continuous traffic. I was stranded in the car with my dog and younger son, without A/C and with serious risk of an accident and dehydration, all because the new car could not hold itself together even after being repeatedly “repaired.” My older son was left at the airport without a ride back home, and after an hour of waiting, he had to hire a cab ride all the way back home while we were stranded on the highway.

The car has broken down 3 times in 6 months, with under 5800 miles being put on it in total. This is completely unacceptable, and we have lost all trust in not just this car, but Mercedes Benz as a whole. This car has been a horrible experience for us, and we have lost all faith in the car. I have driven cars from many other manufacturers and have never had such a bad experience. There is no way I will ever be able to drive this car or any Mercedes Benz car without a worry of breaking down and risking my family's and pets lives. I have been driving for 27 years and am now losing confidence in driving a car without worry just because of a new car that keeps breaking down.

The car is currently at Mercedes Benz of Sugar Land since it was towed there.

My son is a registered member of www.mbworld.org forums, and we have posted our problems and concerns on that website. We have already received replies from other people with similar problems, but not to this extent. Hundreds of members on this forum are closely following the thread and are expressing their opinions. We have been and will continue posting updates about the progress of this situation each day. My son has also be posted information regarding this on other automotive forums such as www.houston-imports.com and www.houstonperformancedriving.com. He will be updating those threads constantly as well.

I have already filed a Buyback request with Ms. Carol, Ext. XXXX at 1(800) FOR-MERCEDES at approximately 10:30 am on 08/10/2007. This certified letter is sent to ensure that this request is processed in an expedited and organized manner. I was given a time line of 7-10 days, but would appreciate a prompt reply.

To make it clear, I have absolutely no confidence in this car and will not accept it back under any circumstances. I have already been in contact with my attorney regarding this, and he has instructed me to await the reply from Mercedes Benz regarding this buyback request. I will not hesitate to consider litigation if there are any problems with processing this request.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 GL 350 blue tec
Good luck.. Hope MB does the right thing for you guys.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Enjoy your Camry.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by lkchris
Enjoy your Camry.
Ummm....what?