GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Weather!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
13 SL550, 14 E63 Wagon, 15 S550, 11 M3, 08 F430 Spider, 12 ML350
Weather!

I was looking forward to nice long ride in the GL today with my wife and son, he was all set to hook up the Nintendo and watch a dvd and test out the RSE. We live south of Boston and were going to cruise around Cape Cod before the summer crowd moves in next weekend. BUT, it's 40 deg and pouring and windy and just plain cr@p! Almost June and 40 deg??? Heat was on in the house last night. Anybody else live up here and stuck in this %$#@! Just venting till I find something else to do.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
We're finally heading towards summer here in the mountains. It's 83 degrees and sunny today in beautiful Evergreen, CO. Even slept with the windows open last night, letting that cool, crisp, mountain air fill the house. Wonderful!

Sorry JP, but I just couldn't resist considering we had 2 feet of snow just two weeks ago.

Bring it on Nevada Jack! I-70 is clear as a baby's butt for your arrival... at least snow forecast for the next week. Be aware, they've got about 16 miles of Glenwood Canyon down to 1 lane in each direction. One of the tunnels is caving in and they've got to shore that up before next winter.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by jpeardm
I was looking forward to nice long ride in the GL today with my wife and son, he was all set to hook up the Nintendo and watch a dvd and test out the RSE. We live south of Boston and were going to cruise around Cape Cod before the summer crowd moves in next weekend. BUT, it's 40 deg and pouring and windy and just plain cr@p! Almost June and 40 deg??? Heat was on in the house last night. Anybody else live up here and stuck in this %$#@! Just venting till I find something else to do.

Going to do my 2nd run to Vermont next week ( supposed to be in upper 70's or low 80's .......by the end of that one I'll have well over 2k on the GL . Broken in I guess I'm really pleased with the gas mileage.......given what this beast is!
Old 05-19-2007, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Move to SoCaCal peoples

Nothing but sunshine and 75 degrees for the last couple weeks. Some early fog (marine layer, really) that is burnt by 10 or so and then sunshine for the rest of the day. With the Sunroof open and 3rd row windows open, it's like heaven inside the car. Mmmmm, mmmmmm, mmmmmm.........
Old 05-19-2007, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Stumblefoot
We're finally heading towards summer here in the mountains. It's 83 degrees and sunny today in beautiful Evergreen, CO. Even slept with the windows open last night, letting that cool, crisp, mountain air fill the house. Wonderful!

Sorry JP, but I just couldn't resist considering we had 2 feet of snow just two weeks ago.

Bring it on Nevada Jack! I-70 is clear as a baby's butt for your arrival... at least snow forecast for the next week. Be aware, they've got about 16 miles of Glenwood Canyon down to 1 lane in each direction. One of the tunnels is caving in and they've got to shore that up before next winter.
83 deg? maybe we'll start driving out there, LOL. What elevation is Evergreen? Just sounds like a post card. Guess I'll put on my parka and do some yard work.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 S500 & 2011 Mini JCW
Maybe Al Gore could help you out with some of his global warming!
Old 05-19-2007, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha

Tunnel caving in...!!! Sounds like fun for 16 miles, thanks for the warning. Had planned to leave very early in the AM and arrive Denver late afternoon...may have to adjust the times a little.

83 degrees...sound very nice. We have that at mid-night...not really that bad for another month or so. We threaten 100 degrees lately but have not made it yet.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:07 PM

2007 GL 320 CDI, 2008 M5

It's Al Gore!! All that Global Warming has made it too dang cold. I'm glad we know the cause of the cool weather. Now if we can just put some more hydrocarbons in the air we will see global warming cause the next ice age!!!
Old 05-19-2007, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
83 deg? maybe we'll start driving out there, LOL. What elevation is Evergreen? Just sounds like a post card. Guess I'll put on my parka and do some yard work.
My house sits at 7,800 feet above sea level. Folks live all over up here, anywhere from 7,200 to 9,600 at our highest sub-division.

It really is like a postcard! You can see our house here at Christmas time, as well as with the flowers that blooming now.
Attached Thumbnails Weather!-house-christmas.jpg   Weather!-cimg0584.jpg  
Old 05-19-2007, 06:34 PM

My house sits at 7,800 feet above sea level. Folks live all over up here, anywhere from 7,200 to 9,600 at our highest sub-division.

It really is like a postcard! You can see our house here at Christmas time, as well as with the flowers that blooming now.
Wow, looks just beautiful! Any difficulties with plasma tv, microwaves or gas engines up there??
Old 05-19-2007, 07:06 PM

We're having unusally cool weather in MS for this time of year. It was 49 when I went to work yesterday morning. We are sleeping with the windows open as well.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63

Nice house!! I like living out in the middle of nowhere in a suburb. Lots of land around you, privacy, more room for a bigger house. Too bad the Michigan woods aren't like Colorado woods. Much more beautiful and scenic over there.

Does the elevation take a huge toll on performance for the A6?
Old 05-19-2007, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Any difficulties with plasma tv, microwaves or gas engines up there??
No difficulties with gas engines or microwaves, but the plasma is a different story. Some people don't have any trouble, but we have to use LCD's here at our place. Have had really good luck with the Sharp Aquos monitors.

Originally Posted by AsianML
Does the elevation take a huge toll on performance for the A6?
Being from Illinois originally, I know how beautiful those Michigan woods can be too. However, I do not miss the mosquitos! I do miss the color of the midwest in the fall though. We just don't get the reds and oranges out here, because there are really no maples or sugar gum trees at altitude. However, we do get to keep our green evergreens through the winter though.

As for the A6, we've had absolutely no trouble with it at all. It's been the best vehicle we've ever had and it sure is a blast to drive. It doesn't even breathe hard on the way to the continental divide and gas mileage has been running around 21 mpg, which is a mix of putting around town, as well as back-n-forth to Denver 3 times a week for my daughter's gymnastics class.

The A6 is really my wife's car and I rarely get to drive it. This is why we're planning to upgrade to a much better SUV... so that I get to have fun too and not sway left-to-right as I take the corners heading up the mountain in my Trailblazer. Love the Q7... but, it just pales in comparison to the GL in cargo space.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Stumble - I get cold just looking at your house in XMas. I guess I am now used to wearing shorts at XMas
Old 05-20-2007, 08:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Beautiful location and setting. The GL should love that kind of challenge.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Originally Posted by oknish
Stumble - I get cold just looking at your house in XMas. I guess I am now used to wearing shorts at XMas
Don't worry Oknish, there was a roaring fire going that day in both the upstair and downstair fireplaces. I'll try and post some warm weather pictures later this summer after the flower boxes begin to bloom.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
Don't worry Oknish, there was a roaring fire going that day in both the upstair and downstair fireplaces. I'll try and post some warm weather pictures later this summer after the flower boxes begin to bloom.
Do you have wood or gas fireplace? I want to say wood, being obvious that you have an abundance of it. lol
Old 05-20-2007, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Originally Posted by AsianML
Do you have wood or gas fireplace? I want to say wood, being obvious that you have an abundance of it. lol
With all of the forest fires we had out here several years ago, the government of Jefferson county (where we live) in their infinite wisdom decided to ban all wood burning fireplaces if you can believe that. Of course, if your house had a wood burning fireplace already, you were grandfathered in. And, you can still have a wood burining stove, because they are completely enclosed and somehow exhaust differently. My house was built in '04, so we've only got gas fireplaces now.

I never thought anyone would ever hear me say this (being the son of a stone mason), but I have actually grown to like them. They are huge, light with the flick of switch (or remote ), and there is no mess to clean-up. They look real and put out a lot of heat.

So, now all of the wood just stays stacked in the rear yard for camping trips. Needless to say, it's cured very well and practically starts itself at the campsite when we light a match, because it's so dry.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:26 PM

With all of the forest fires we had out here several years ago, the government of Jefferson county (where we live) in their infinite wisdom decided to ban all wood burning fireplaces if you can believe that. Of course, if your house had a wood burning fireplace already, you were grandfathered in. And, you can still have a wood burining stove, because they are completely enclosed and somehow exhaust differently. My house was built in '04, so we've only got gas fireplaces now.

I never thought anyone would ever hear me say this (being the son of a stone mason), but I have actually grown to like them. They are huge, light with the flick of switch (or remote ), and there is no mess to clean-up. They look real and put out a lot of heat.

So, now all of the wood just stays stacked in the rear yard for camping trips. Needless to say, it's cured very well and practically starts itself at the campsite when we light a match, because it's so dry.
When I had wood fireplaces, I said gas ones were like artificial Christmas trees. Now I have 2 gas ones and can never see going back to wood.

BTW, great looking house and a beautiful picture.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by boxboss
BTW, great looking house and a beautiful picture.
Ahem....speaking of pictures...
Old 05-20-2007, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
Ahem....speaking of pictures...
Get to it, BB
Old 05-20-2007, 07:09 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
Interesting. We have a two-way gas fireplace (can be seen through both dining and living rooms). I love that it's almost no maintenance, but the exhaust fan on ours is a little loud. And in the summer, bees get in. Oh well, just start the fire and that'll take care of them.