GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Loss of use

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 11:17 PM

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Rolls Royce Wraith, 1999 CLK Cabriolet, 2023 Genesis G90
Loss of use

As you may recall, back on March 29th, my GL was hit from behind on the highway. On April 1st, the flatbed took it to the MB body shop, where it remains. I'm driving a PT Cruiser rental . I'm told by State Farm (my insurance) that they're paying for the repairs and rental car and that they will "subrogate" the other insurance company to get their money back, plus my deductable and any other costs I've incurred. Does anyone know if I should even attempt to get my two months' lease payment back? I've not been able to use the vehicle and endured all sorts of inconveniences, including cancelling a trip because the PT can't pull a trailer (heck, it doesn't have enough power to pull into traffic.) One note to the body shop's credit: they started paying for my rental last week because it has taken so long to fix the GL and it's not expected to be ready for another week or so.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GL 450
I would certainly ask for the insurance company to pay for the 2 months of lease payments. Your insurance company may not pay, but I'd certainly go after the insurance company of the person who hit the vehicle. If nothing else, ask them for a cash settlement (which does mean signing a waiver to any future claims) and make sure it's enough to cover the lease payments.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
This is a tricky one, neodoc. But I do like what Jen said. So, it's worth a shot for sure. The only thing I would watch out for is the run around from your ins co to their ins co to body shop. Since you are going to be asking for a couple grand (approx), no one would be willing to pony up easily.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Pt Cruiser!?!?!

Originally Posted by neodoc
I'm driving a PT Cruiser rental .
I hear it's illegal to sell PT Cruiser owners a gun. Suicide risk.

It's a tough call, but I'd say the person at fault's insurance is the best place to start. While it is a couple of thousand dollars, I don't know if I'd call "The Eagle" just yet (or whoever your local ambulance chaser is). I mean, you could also talk about loss of resale value, all kinds of things, but I think once you get the sharks involved, they're the only thing that eats.

Or something.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:37 AM
Almost a Member!

GL450
What's the hold up at the body shop. If it's lack of available parts that's MB's fault not the insurer. If they are backed up then ship it to another dealer.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:57 PM

Called State Farm and was told that I was SOL in trying to recover the lease pmts made while the truck has been in the shop. I have put in a call to my attorney to see whether this is something worth pursuing. It will already be an uphill battle to get the guy's Mickey Mouse insurance to pay for the damages, let alone trying to recover my deductible and other car rental expenses. I see a law suit on the horizon.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:49 PM

Make sure you request the other guys insurance company to reimburse you for "diminution of value" (i think i spelled that correctly ) It's the depreciation that your car suffered by being involved in an accident. I had one insurance agent try to tell me my wrecked car was actually worth MORE money after it was repaired because the replaced parts were new. Um, do I look stupid?
Old 05-25-2007, 09:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Originally Posted by Taz0369
Make sure you request the other guys insurance company to reimburse you for "diminution of value" (i think i spelled that correctly ) It's the depreciation that your car suffered by being involved in an accident. I had one insurance agent try to tell me my wrecked car was actually worth MORE money after it was repaired because the replaced parts were new. Um, do I look stupid?
I know what you're talking about. Diminished value.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 S430, 2004 Cobra, 2004 Tahoe
I hate to see it's taken the body shop 2 months to fix the GL, but sometimes that's just crap luck. It's not MB's fault you had the accident (or your insurance companies), so they really shouldnt have to pick up the slack. I think the one you should concentrate on is the body shop. Find out what the hold up is and why your GL isnt done. If it's b/c they dont have parts b/c of MB, then it could potentially fall back on MB. If not, then it seems to be solely on the body shop.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:25 AM

I'm of the opinion that when pressured, people cut corners. My GL required extensive body work, including the replacement of the left rear body panel, which, as you know, is not removable. It required cutting out the panel and welding on a new one. The body shop manager is a gentleman, and has kept me up to date on the progress on my vehicle. He has been frank with me in telling me that he has slow craftsmen, but that their work is superb. I expect that after it's done, only a very trained eye will be able to tell that the GL has been repaired. So if it means driving the PT Cruiser around for a week or two more, so be it. I'd rather wait than get a half-a$$ job. BTW, the body shop has been paying for my rental for two weeks now, so it's on them to complete the job in a timely manner.