GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

First Road Trip - No Problems!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GL 450
First Road Trip - No Problems!

Just got back from our first road trip in our GL450. Went from southern California to Las Vegas. Got about 18.5 MPG on the way out there...haven't refilled yet from the trip back.

The GL did great; very comfortable with 4 people & luggage. I do not have the 3-zone climate control & I was concerned that the backseat passengers would be too warm, but about half-way there, they said they were getting too cold with the a/c, so I guess that's not a worry anymore.

The GPS worked to help us find our hotel & shopping locations. On our way home, a friend of one of the passengers called saying she was lost & was asking us if we had a map to tell her how to get to where she needed to go. We used the GPS to guide her to where she needed to go.

So, it was a fun, comfortable trip with no mishaps.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by Newbie_2_MB
Just got back from our first road trip in our GL450. Went from southern California to Las Vegas. Got about 18.5 MPG on the way out there...haven't refilled yet from the trip back.

The GL did great; very comfortable with 4 people & luggage. I do not have the 3-zone climate control & I was concerned that the backseat passengers would be too warm, but about half-way there, they said they were getting too cold with the a/c, so I guess that's not a worry anymore.

The GPS worked to help us find our hotel & shopping locations. On our way home, a friend of one of the passengers called saying she was lost & was asking us if we had a map to tell her how to get to where she needed to go. We used the GPS to guide her to where she needed to go.

So, it was a fun, comfortable trip with no mishaps.

Great to hear.......I've just finished putting over 2000 miles on mine and not one issue yet!
Old 05-29-2007, 02:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Great to hear that, Jen. Me and wifey ran off to Santa Barbara for Sat night and my wife commented on how Nav/GPS made things so easy since it found the spa she was looking for

I need to run up to Vegas to see how it does in mountains. Any feedback on what you thought how GL did in the mountains? And, hope you did get the cargo cover.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GL 450
Originally Posted by oknish
Great to hear that, Jen. Me and wifey ran off to Santa Barbara for Sat night and my wife commented on how Nav/GPS made things so easy since it found the spa she was looking for

I need to run up to Vegas to see how it does in mountains. Any feedback on what you thought how GL did in the mountains? And, hope you did get the cargo cover.
Super smooth & quick at all times. Never had an issue passing or anything. It's just amazing how smooth the vehicle is. We stopped once going there & once coming home to stretch our legs, but the stops really weren't needed for that. We were very comfortable. I have back problems and was worried about sitting for that length of time, but no pain in my back at all.

I did get the cargo cover...the day before I left. It came in handy as we stopped at the outlett mall at Stateline so we used it to hide our luggage in the back. Although the tinted windows are so dark, it's pretty difficult to see if there is anything back there.