GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Front License Plate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 03:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front License Plate

Just out of curiosity, how many people do not have the front license plate on? I am in CA and just got a parking ticket for the amount of $25 for not having the front license plate.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by petery
Just out of curiosity, how many people do not have the front license plate on? I am in CA and just got a parking ticket for the amount of $25 for not having the front license plate.
I believe this is a state-by-state regulation. In Arizona, they don't even send you a front plate. Are you in California with a vehicle from another state and still got a parking ticket for not having a front plate?
Old 05-31-2007, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Sorry to hear that, petery. The leeches in CA will ticket/pull you over for not having front plates in a heartbeat. I once parked in the LAX long term parking lot and got a ticket for not displaying front plate. Can you believe it? City of LA LA Land has folks going around parking lots giving $25 tickets. I guess the crime rate must be really down so the city is focussing on this egregerious violation.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:24 PM

GL450
Wow, not good news. I have a vehicle registered in Texas and moving to California within a month and do not display a front license and have never received a citation in Texas, Virginia, or North Carolina. I am sure they will even cite out of state vehicles, especially if you have a domecile in the state, but still are not considered a resident of CA. I think it is petty, most vehicles come optional whether to attach it or not, and many are designed in a fashion as the GL that the license degrades the appearance. I just spent 9 months fighting a war in another country so someone could cite me for having no license displayed on the front of my expensive car. I can really find our society incredibly out of focus on real issues or problems some times.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:49 AM

13 SL550, 14 E63 Wagon, 15 S550, 11 M3, 08 F430 Spider, 12 ML350
Originally Posted by montesquieu1748
Wow, not good news. I have a vehicle registered in Texas and moving to California within a month and do not display a front license and have never received a citation in Texas, Virginia, or North Carolina. I am sure they will even cite out of state vehicles, especially if you have a domecile in the state, but still are not considered a resident of CA. I think it is petty, most vehicles come optional whether to attach it or not, and many are designed in a fashion as the GL that the license degrades the appearance. I just spent 9 months fighting a war in another country so someone could cite me for having no license displayed on the front of my expensive car. I can really find our society incredibly out of focus on real issues or problems some times.
Thank you sir for your service to this country, I appreciate it very much! This front plate issue seems to be spreading through many states as a means of easy revenue for the cities and states. It's easy pickings in a parking garage, that's riduculous but it's all about revenue.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2021 GLS450, 2015 E250BT 4Matic, 2007 GL320CDI, 2005 SLK350, 2001 SLK320
My wife got pulled over in her RX330 for no front plate. She had to pay $75 on the spot. I didn't realize they could pull you over for just a plate if there's no moving violation. I gave up installed a plate on her front bumper after the ticket.

My SLKs still have no front plate despite two parking tickets. It really spoils the look of the SLK. I'll take my chances.

The new GL will get a plate in the front. I won't like it but will accept it.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:07 AM

Received 99 Likes on 58 Posts
18 E63s Wagon 15 GL63 (sold), 10 Turbo TT MT, A36 Bonanza, 20 JLU Rubicon
after three tickets ($65 each) from officer Finley (my local 3am beat cop), and a warning from one of the cops at the Holland Tunnel.. I have broken down and mounted my plate ...

though, when I move to my new place with the garage in the basement of the building.. I might pull it back off...
Old 06-01-2007, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
It's good to see that I am not the only one who resists the front plate BTW, is it me or it seems that only decent cars with no front plates are pulled over? My old Prelude did not have a front plate on it for 14 years and drove across country and back and then again without any problems. That little car was regularly driven in CA also woithout incident.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
I gotta ask, are you being pulled over in a state that requires them while being from a state that does not? I don't have an option for getting a front plate in Arizona, they only issue one per car! One reason is, that's a way to steal a plate for another car while still making the car look legal.

I was under the impression that part of federal law was states had to recognize certain things from other states, such as licensing (marriage, driver's, vehicle's, etc.) Is this something that's not the case?

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2007, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
I gotta ask, are you being pulled over in a state that requires them while being from a state that does not?
Good question, Steve but I don't know the answer. The only hassles I have had was while in CA with CA plates. I don't see how they could ticket an AZ person for not having front plates when AZ doesn't even issue them. I would say drive to LAX and park in long term parking lot C for a few days. I am pretty certain you will find out
Old 06-02-2007, 12:24 AM

Reported
Old 06-02-2007, 11:51 AM

I guess I shouldn't complain about the $25 parking ticket for not having the front license plate after seeing how much others are paying. I will try my luck and see if I get more, btw on the ticket, it mentions about $25 or more depending on the previous history. Meaning, the next time I get a parking ticket for not having the front license, I will be paying more than $25?
Old 06-02-2007, 03:50 PM

2014 GL 450
Originally Posted by petery
I will try my luck and see if I get more, btw on the ticket, it mentions about $25 or more depending on the previous history. Meaning, the next time I get a parking ticket for not having the front license, I will be paying more than $25?
That's what it means. Next time could be $50 or more.

The other problem you may encounter in California is if you get pulled over and the officer decides to give you a "fix it" ticket. You'll still have to pay the ticket & then put front plates onto the car & take the car to a Highway Patrol facility to have an officer certify that you have "fixed" the problem with no front plate. I got one of these on my '96 Explorer. I put the front plate on, got the "fix it" ticket signed off & then took off the front plate again. Fortunately, I never got caught again without the front plate.