GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

How to improve the Harmon Kardon sound system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 BMW 540i/6-speed, 2008 GL550
Originally Posted by BJ021
I really appreciate it, but that link is not working for me...if I could impose on you to tell me the title of the thread, I could find the post that way.

Thanks again!
Old 10-19-2007, 04:11 PM

2008 GL 320 CDI Black/Black
Originally Posted by sraj
I really appreciate it, but that link is not working for me...if I could impose on you to tell me the title of the thread, I could find the post that way.

Thanks again!
Rear Seat DVD

Or type in Dannon4x4 in search and Reat Seat DVD will be there.

Last edited by BJ021; 10-19-2007 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by Danno4x4
A lot of folks are frustrated with the fact that the RSE uses wired headphones instead of wireless... They ask themselved "why on earth would MZB do this, my Caddy/Lincoln/Lexus/Yukon had wireless headphones?

I was also asking this question... Until I got in the back seat and really started playing with the system.

There are effectively up to 4 different entertainment systems in the vehicle... Meaning that 4 people could be listening to different things all at the same time. I think that if the system had wireless headphones instead of wired, there would not be as many options...

Here is the scenario that we tested on our last road trip...

1.) My daughter was in one of the back seats with her headphones plugged into the monitor on the back of the passenger side seat. She was happily watching Finding Nemo which was playing on the RSE DVD player below her feet.

2.) My son was in the other back seat with his headphones plugged into the monitor on the back of the driver's side seat. He was happily watching Cars which was playing on the Portable DVD player which was plugged into the Aux Input ports on the RSE DVD player below the passenger side 2nd row.

3.) There are two additional headphone jacks and volume attenuators located in the back of the center storage console between the driver and passenger (where the Rear Controls are located for the 3 zone Climate Control) Using the Comand system you can pump either the single CD, the Multi Disk CD, the Satellite Radio, or the AM/FM Radio through these headphone jacks. So in our scenario, my wife, who was sitting in the front passenger seat was listening to her Gwen Stefani CD playing on the single CD player behind the Comand Screen through her headphone plugged into the one of these headphone jacks...

4.) Meanwhile, I was driving and I was listening to my iPod plugged into the iPod Integration kit through the main vehicle speakers... I could have listened to any of the unused sources including the CD changer, the Satellite radio and the AM/FM radio.

All this and there was still one unused headphone jack in the center storage console which could have been used to listen to the Gwen Stefani CD that my wife was listening to...

All of the different sources have separate volume controls....

Now I have never used the Entertainment System in the Caddy/Lincoln/Lexus/Yukon, but something tells me that they are not nearly this versatile.

In my mind, this is advantage Mercedes and I don't mind having the headphones wired. If I really need or want wireless headphones, I can get aftermarket transmitters to plug into the headphone jacks...

Just my .02 cents
There you go, doc. Now make sure to donate to Danno's cause Original post is here linky dinky
Old 10-25-2007, 12:06 AM

2008 F-250, 2007 GL450
Originally Posted by vraa
Third, if you want to really differentiate a good sound system versus a perfect one, you have to make sure your source is perfect, this means either a well-mastered CD. This does NOT mean an iPod playing back lossy OR lossless formats, the iPod just can't output it right.

The best is either straight off the CD or ripping the CD in lossless and burning it back onto the disc. From what I've heard, you'll get a more solid / reliable burn at slower speeds, but I haven't figured out a way to test for it well over a decent amount of time/degradation of media.

If you are using iTunes it's incredibly easy to switch the ripping from lossy (mp3 UGH! DISGUSTING) to lossless (apple lossless, a MUCH superior codec, and in theory, all lossless codecs should be the same).
Just go to the iTunes preferences, go to the importing page, and change from MP3 to Apple Lossless. Piece of cake.
Be warned though, lossless files take up about 10x more than mp3s. That's because you aren't trashing any data from the disc. Inherently with mp3s, you are discarding data!
Unless they’ve changed their tune recently with an upgrade, the bigger issue with the iPod is ripping the original CD. There is virtually no error checking in iTunes (and all the other popular MP3 programs) whether you tell it to encode in lossy or lossless format. Their “lossless” format only encodes the errors in more detail.

You can get very good quality within the limits of an iPod with lossless ripping and a medium size MP3 (200-340 kbps). All of this applies somewhat to burning songs onto a CD as well. Although, from what I understand, a CD player sort of mutes the errors while an iPod or computer plays it back exactly as is. Maybe someone knows more about this than me.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:25 AM

2008 Dodge Charger R/T
Well, I think that because the E has a smaller interior than the GL, my HK Logic 7 sounds great! Especially when I turn it up. The sound couldn't be more crisper and the bass has perfect depth. When I had my ML, the stereo didn't sound as good, and I believe it was because the interior room was bigger, therefore losing sound depth in all that space. Of course, I've never experienced the Bose system, and I really don't care to...I love my baby just the way it is!
Old 10-25-2007, 09:50 AM

2001 BMW 540i/6-speed, 2008 GL550
Thanks, Nish!
Old 10-25-2008, 04:29 PM

e350
DVD safty turn off

Is there a way to turn off the safty feature on the DVD player so it can be watched while driving ? It is a Harmon Kardon system 2009 e 350 Mecedez.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:41 PM

Mercedes ML
The Harman Kardon system is very powerful in the GL with 610 Watts of sound. This should be in no way inferior to the BMW system, as although not badged, it is actually a Harman Kardon system.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:51 PM

MBs
Originally Posted by GLDriver
Can someone please pinpoint the location of the factory amplifier if there is one (unless it is integrated with the radio)
http://mercedes.harmankardon.com/brochures/gl-class.pdf
Old 10-27-2009, 07:49 PM

08 GL320
How to improve the Harmon Kardon sound system

This topic has been discussed a few time in the last year. I am not an audiophile, but removing the access cover to the compartment that the sub woofer is in made a huge improvement in the sound quality.

One person wrote in last year that they designed speakers and sound systems for performing arts centers. They could not believe that MB stuffed a sub woofer in a sealed compartment. I think the discussion was on the ML forum. On the 09 and 10 MLs MB installed a grill at the sub woofer horn to release the sound from the compartment.

I was hoping that the same thought process would be applied to the GL by MB and an easy retro fit could be applied by owners with older models.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:58 AM

C63 Coupe Edition 1
gl speakers suck period. or well HK sucks. i didnt even know that till i got it shipped to me. so i ugrade it with an amp to the stock speakers to make it louder because hk dont go loud at all. 400/4 jl which is to much power already but is really loud n clear. also got 13.5 jl sub w/7 with 1000/1 amp. and extra battery in other sorts stuff make it running. its hard to put a system in a benz. so much work
Old 11-09-2009, 03:00 AM

C63 Coupe Edition 1
Originally Posted by GLDriver
Can someone please pinpoint the location of the factory amplifier if there is one (unless it is integrated with the radio)
yeap its integrated in the radio because my people took a few days to find it then figured it out. i would juss add an amp to the speakers a 300/4
Old 11-17-2020, 02:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 GL450
Both are really bad...

Originally Posted by 03LX470
I'm not sure if anyone here tried the Bose in Porsche Cayenne, it is simply wow. Now, that I've got the GL, I feel that the HK doesnt sound as good as its name does. What can be done to make it better. If anyone's heard the Bose, they know what I 'm trying to achieve. No matters how loud you turn it up, the sound is always amazing & the surround is great.

I'm not good at sound equipment at all. I just know what I like when I hear it & wondering if the good folks here can suggest something to improve.

Thanks
You are kidding yourself; both sound terrible! I "de-bosed" my slk and I de-harmaned" my GL and now I can drive in peace. Stay safe "ya" all!
The following users liked this post:
hq_ (01-06-2021)