GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

iPhone Rocks in the GL!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 04:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
GL 450
iPhone Rocks in the GL!

I have an April 07 build GL 450 with Nav, iPod and RSE. The latest BT module is B6 787 5878 (new USA). Bottom line is it works GREAT with IPhone!

1. Better signal strength than our Razr and Samsung Blackjack

2. Address phone book and last numbers list downloads into the GL

3. Voice quaility in and out is EXCEPTIONAL. Listeners don't think I am in the car...

4. Faster connection time when a call comes in.

4. AND it works in the iPod system with full menus. When you connect an iPhone to the iPod cable, it says "...not approved thing, want airplane mode?" Say NO and it works just fine, and no cellular noise at all through the audio system.

Bottom line - the iPhone is PERFECT for the Benz!
Old 07-04-2007, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by FireGuy

I have an April 07 build GL 450 with Nav, iPod and RSE. The latest BT module is B6 787 5878 (new USA). Bottom line is it works GREAT with IPhone!

3. Voice quaility in and out is EXCEPTIONAL. Listeners don't think I am in the car...

4. AND it works in the iPod system with full menus. When you connect an iPhone to the iPod cable, it says "...not approved thing, want airplane mode?" Say NO and it works just fine, and no cellular noise at all through the audio system.

Good news to hear. I will get my iPhone on Friday or Monday. I use a RAZR BT cradle and intend to keep that setup but good to know the iPhone works so well. If I get tired of the RAZR setup and want to drop it from my contract then it is good to know the iPhone will work just fine.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:13 PM

GL 450
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
Good news to hear. I will get my iPhone on Friday or Monday. I use a RAZR BT cradle and intend to keep that setup but good to know the iPhone works so well. If I get tired of the RAZR setup and want to drop it from my contract then it is good to know the iPhone will work just fine.
After a few hours of use with the iPhone, you will want to chuck the Moto - besides the voice quality so SO much better in the car, buying the other BT unit will be worth it. I am not over hyping this - the phone connects calls faster and with 2-3 times the clarity and volume adjustment...
Old 07-04-2007, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C350
You got an iPhone already too? I got one, they are awesome! Unfortunetly, I don't have iPod integration for my GL.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by cjh6793
You got an iPhone already too? I got one, they are awesome! Unfortunetly, I don't have iPod integration for my GL.
Even without iPod integration; if you have bluetooth the iPhone should work.
Remember the iPhone is a phone + video iPod.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:48 PM

2007 GL450
iPOD Integration

Just a reminder.

iPOD integration can be a dealer installed accessory. I know this from experience. I ordered iPOD integration from the factory, but they did NOT put it in, as ordered!

The dealer ordered the installation kit and installed it a couple of weeks later. It works great, just like the factory installation should. The song title gets displayed up on the dash in the Multifunction display.

I paid for the factory installation so the dealer did not charge me for the installation at the dealership. Therefore, I do not know how much it costs to have the dealer put it in later. Must be more than the factory install.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
I was quoted $525 for iPod install in a C-Class, but it might be more in other models because some require more wiring.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:23 PM

'16 528i MSport
I just landed back from Cancun on July 2nd and straight from the airport, I went to the nearest Apple store near my house and picked one up. I have yet to test it out with the GL but it works flawlessly with the G35 Coupe. I can't wait to test it out with the GL

Thanks buddy!
Old 07-05-2007, 02:50 AM

2007 GL450

Do you find that the phone volume during a call through the car speakers is sufficient? I have a Blackberry Curve over bluetooth and even adjusting the volume while within the phone menu and during a call, I find it is still too low. Maybe I am doing something wrong because my teleaid calls come over loud and clear.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:47 PM

GL 450
Originally Posted by racyb
Do you find that the phone volume during a call through the car speakers is sufficient? I have a Blackberry Curve over bluetooth and even adjusting the volume while within the phone menu and during a call, I find it is still too low. Maybe I am doing something wrong because my teleaid calls come over loud and clear.
Then your volume issue is one of two things - lack of volume from that model phone, or maybe you have the pre-April Bluetooth adapter from MB and it does not like your Bluetooth signal. With the iPhone and the post April BT adapter, I have plenty, to too much volume IF the iPhone is full up. This is unlike the Samsung Blackjack which was barely loud enough when up full on the phone and the MB volume fairly loud.

I believe the Bluetooth version on the phone makes a BIG difference. Again, people can't beleive on both ends of the call how much better the iPhone sounds in the GL...
Old 07-05-2007, 03:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL450 (Alabaster White/Black Interior)
Are you guys saying that if I got an IPhone and plugged it into my Ipod integration cable I would not need to get a MHI Interface Cradle or Bluetooth Interface Module? I do have the Premium Package which does include the hands free communication if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance.........
Old 07-05-2007, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by BeanCounter
Are you guys saying that if I got an IPhone and plugged it into my Ipod integration cable I would not need to get a MHI Interface Cradle or Bluetooth Interface Module? I do have the Premium Package which does include the hands free communication if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance.........
No...the iPod connection will give you iPod output but not phone.

You need the latest BT module and have the iPhone activated with AT&T plan and then paired with the GL/iPhone for phone usage.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL450 (Alabaster White/Black Interior)
Thanks Jack. That sounded too good to be true........
Old 07-06-2007, 02:32 AM

2007 GL450
Then your volume issue is one of two things - lack of volume from that model phone, or maybe you have the pre-April Bluetooth adapter from MB and it does not like your Bluetooth signal. With the iPhone and the post April BT adapter, I have plenty, to too much volume IF the iPhone is full up. This is unlike the Samsung Blackjack which was barely loud enough when up full on the phone and the MB volume fairly loud.

I believe the Bluetooth version on the phone makes a BIG difference. Again, people can't beleive on both ends of the call how much better the iPhone sounds in the GL...
I have the latest BT module, same model number as in your original post. It seems that the GL450 via BT doesn't like my phone as much as my 2006 BMW 330i, no problems there. The Blackberry Curve isn't able to adjust volume on the device while connected via BT, so I am not sure there is anything else I can do.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:07 PM

Great to hear about the iPhone!

Just have to get the BT module now.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:44 PM

July 2006 Build GL450

I have NAV -

Bluetooth
B6 787 5839 (Old US Model)
HW 0706
SW 0706

The only contacts that are showing up in the GL Command Contact list are AT&T Services, which are found on your iPhone at:

Settings > Phone > AT&T Services

Check Bill Balance *225#
Directory Assistance 411
Pay My Bill *729
View My Minutes *646#
Voice Connect *08

None of my real 500 contacts on the iPhone are making it to the command screen.

I do however see Last Numbers Dialed list numerically and alphabetically with names.

I also see Calls Received the same way.

Last edited by wuudogg; 07-12-2007 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:42 PM

09 c63 10 c300 Nissan truck

Have you noticed that ipod sound lacks the quality of the other systems in the COMAND unit ? AUX volume has to be turned up to match radio/cd/sat volume Is this normal ?
Old 07-16-2007, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by matt55
Have you noticed that ipod sound lacks the quality of the other systems in the COMAND unit ? AUX volume has to be turned up to match radio/cd/sat volume Is this normal ?
Yes I think this is pretty normal...even with the $500 iPod integration kit I have read the same complaints--low volume and just ok sound quality.

I can't believe that the iPod integration kit doesn't work with the COMAND system either. I should think they would be able to come up with something that would allow you to see the information displayed on the COMAND screen.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:47 PM

GL 450
Originally Posted by pmb600
Yes I think this is pretty normal...even with the $500 iPod integration kit I have read the same complaints--low volume and just ok sound quality.

I can't believe that the iPod integration kit doesn't work with the COMAND system either. I should think they would be able to come up with something that would allow you to see the information displayed on the COMAND screen.
Sorry, but I don't understand - in my 07, the ipod displays and controls via the steering wheel. The display is the screen in the speedo cluster.

As for volume, with a 5th Gen video iPod and the latest software, I don't have a problem. However, I followed the MB instructions as to adjusting the EQ settings on the iPod...
Old 07-17-2007, 12:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
Yes, I know it displays in the instrument cluster display, but I don't see why it doesn't dispaly on the COMAND screen as well.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
As for volume, with a 5th Gen video iPod and the latest software, I don't have a problem. However, I followed the MB instructions as to adjusting the EQ settings on the iPod...
Do you mind sharing what these "EQ settings" on iPod need to be? Sorry being lazy and don't want to hunt the manual.

Also, Fireguy, if I remember correctly you are in SFO. If, yes, then there is a talk to Vegas get together in another thread here. Just wanted to let you know if you are interested.