GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

GL / ML Same Seat?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2007 | 04:42 PM
Veteran: Navy

Various
GL / ML Same Seat?

Does anyone know if the GL and ML have the same seat? ML's are more easily found for an extended test drive and I want to make sure I'm comparing apples to apples. I want to make sure we like the seat before ordering one (GL 320), otherwise it's an X5, even if almost too small. It also appears MB has the hose issue fixed, so if the seat is ok it's time to move forward.
Thanks,
Ray
Old 08-07-2007 | 07:17 PM

2007 GL 320 CDI, 2008 M5
Originally Posted by RGVA
Does anyone know if the GL and ML have the same seat? ML's are more easily found for an extended test drive and I want to make sure I'm comparing apples to apples. I want to make sure we like the seat before ordering one (GL 320), otherwise it's an X5, even if almost too small. It also appears MB has the hose issue fixed, so if the seat is ok it's time to move forward.
Thanks,
Ray
I am pretty sure they are the same. We did not take a GL 320 they had in stock because we liked the comfort seats on an ML they were able to let us drive. So we ordered a GL 320 with comfort seats based on the comfort seats in the ML
Old 08-07-2007 | 08:46 PM

Various
Originally Posted by oinick
I am pretty sure they are the same. We did not take a GL 320 they had in stock because we liked the comfort seats on an ML they were able to let us drive. So we ordered a GL 320 with comfort seats based on the comfort seats in the ML
My sales rep called me today and said they are different. They also have a couple 08 450's on the ground and one in their demo fleet so I'll drive it soon. I've driven them before, I just want to be sure the seat is ok (without the multi-contour package as it's not available in the 08 diesel).
Old 08-07-2007 | 09:24 PM

2007 GL450
GL Seats; 2007 versus 2008 Models

My wife and I have a 2007 GL450 with Multicontour Seats. We like the Multicontour seats becasue they really help with the lateral support at the flanks. We keep the lateral bolsters all the way inward. I am not that impressed with the way the lumbar support changes, however.

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago we test drove a 2007 GL320 with regular seats. I was definitley not impressed witht he support of the regular seats compared to our multicontour seats which we had right there at the dealership that day.

Then a week later I test drove a 2008 GL450 with regular seats, since the multicontour seats are no longer availble in the GL450's in 2008. It maybe my imagination, since the test drives were a week apart, but I thought the regular seats in the 2008 GL were more comfortable then the regular seats in the 2007 GL. The 2008 seats felt slightly more padded, with more lateral thigh support and more lateral flank support. It was subtle, but I thought it was different and better. I may be crazy?

My salesman did not have any information about any seat re-design in the 2008 GL's.

If anyone gets the chance to test drive a 2007 GL and a 2008 GL, with regular seays, on the same day, I would be interested to know if there is a difference in the seats between the two model years.

My dealership is a very small dealer, so the chance of me having the opportunity to see these two vehicles there at the sametime is almost zero. Thanks

Gordon
Old 08-08-2007 | 06:12 PM

Various
Originally Posted by gordongl450
My wife and I have a 2007 GL450 with Multicontour Seats. We like the Multicontour seats becasue they really help with the lateral support at the flanks. We keep the lateral bolsters all the way inward. I am not that impressed with the way the lumbar support changes, however.

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago we test drove a 2007 GL320 with regular seats. I was definitley not impressed witht he support of the regular seats compared to our multicontour seats which we had right there at the dealership that day.

Then a week later I test drove a 2008 GL450 with regular seats, since the multicontour seats are no longer availble in the GL450's in 2008. It maybe my imagination, since the test drives were a week apart, but I thought the regular seats in the 2008 GL were more comfortable then the regular seats in the 2007 GL. The 2008 seats felt slightly more padded, with more lateral thigh support and more lateral flank support. It was subtle, but I thought it was different and better. I may be crazy?

My salesman did not have any information about any seat re-design in the 2008 GL's.

If anyone gets the chance to test drive a 2007 GL and a 2008 GL, with regular seays, on the same day, I would be interested to know if there is a difference in the seats between the two model years.

My dealership is a very small dealer, so the chance of me having the opportunity to see these two vehicles there at the sametime is almost zero. Thanks

Gordon
We just drove an 07 with regular seats... felt good so we ordered a 320. Hope for the best with the seats.

102F reading on the display during the drive and the ac was doing a fine job (3 zone ac, with light front window after-market tinting).