GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Installed Chrome Hood Fins

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 11:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL500, GL550, Escalade, 66 Corvette
Originally Posted by oknish
I guess you are excited about the AMG pedals, huh Here is a link to a pic that shows these pedals https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...1&d=1187663811

If you want more pics let me know and I will do my best. You can buy these separately from the dealer and as I understand they fit all MBs. Installation is not that hard since these have a rubber bottom. You snap off the OEM all rubber pedals and then you snap these on. I watched them do it Adds a nice look and the raised rubber dots provide better traction.

Search for pedals and part numbers and you will find the respective part numbers. I know I dug them up for boss. If not then let me know and I will try.

For some reason,coudn't get through using your link, but saw them elsewhere. They're awesome!
Old 09-06-2007, 06:40 PM

SL500, GL550, Escalade, 66 Corvette
Got my Chrome Fins!

We just got our chrome fins for our two GL550s. They look great! I'll bet they'll look even better on the twin GLs, which we don't have yet. In the meantime, I guess I'll just keep fondling the fins.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
Has anyone tried installing the OEM ones? I have a set, but they will not fit on the vehicle correctly they are about an inch too long. part# 6-6-88-1302 they are also held on by a adhesive glue, not 3M tape.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes sprinter
chrome hood fins

Hi.i am interested in purchasing the chrome hood fins for the Gl class.from where can i purchase them?thanks
Old 03-08-2010, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes sprinter
chrome fins

Hi.from where can i purchase the chrome fins?thanks
Old 03-08-2010, 05:06 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
15 GL550
OEM - dealerfit.com
Schatz - formymercedes.com

I ordered both to see what I would like better. I haven't installed them yet because it has been too cold in my garage. Both require warm weather to install.

Schatz - Fit slightly better, have a rounded appearance that match the stock fins, slightly darker chrome, applied with tape, they do not bridge the gap between sheet metal and plastic closest to the window, chrome is pealing on the underside where attached during the plating process but I don't think it would peal around to the exposed side.

OEM - Twice as expensive, slightly better chrome finish when compared side by side in perfect lighting to the Schatz (this is being real picky though), squared off edges that slightly change the look of your stock fins, barely bridge the gap between the plastic on the vent and sheet metal closest to the window, applied with glue (separate item to order), notch out of the bottom of one side of each fin (not really noticeable) where fin was attached during the plating process.

I would give a slight edge to the OEM ones because I personally like the squared off look that the fins have. I also like the idea of only attaching OEM stuff to my car. Just my opinion though.

The fins in the pictures have a lot of finger prints on them so don't pay attention to that.
Attached Thumbnails Installed Chrome Hood Fins-comparison2.jpg   Installed Chrome Hood Fins-oem1.jpg   Installed Chrome Hood Fins-oem2.jpg   Installed Chrome Hood Fins-schatz1.jpg   Installed Chrome Hood Fins-schatz2.jpg  

Old 03-08-2010, 08:38 PM

GL450 (Alabaster White/Black Interior)
Nice pics. Two thoughts on this. Unless the pictures are really deceiving the Schatz version (in picture 1) look a whole lot better than the OEM version in terms of the finish and look. I am three years into my Schatz fins and they have held up very well. They basically look new.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:15 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
15 GL550
No, you can't judge the finish by the pictures. Without putting them side by side, you would never know any difference. I noticed a very slight wavyness in the chrome finish on the Schatz that I did not see on the OEM fins. But, this was very very hard to see and you would never see it without comparing the two side by side in the perfect lighting conditions. The shape is going to be a matter of personal preference and that is what people should base their decision on. I would be happy with either set.

Btw, the 2nd OEM Picture appears cloudy. That's just the lighting. Both the Schatz and the OEM have a completely clear luster/shine to them without blemishes. I didn't notice that the Schatz were a slightly darker chrome until I put them side by side. Again, just a matter of preference. I would say both are of equal quality.

Last edited by 43221B; 03-08-2010 at 11:17 PM.