GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Transmission question.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 08:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Transmission question.....

The website description of the trans. on the 2008 450 talks about a "driver selectable" "comfort mode" whereby the trans. can be set start in 2nd gear or "2nd gear reverse?" I noticed the same description when they were decscribing the 07 450 as well..............my 07 450 does not seem to have this feature ( or I can't find it!) .......anybody else find this?
Old 08-22-2007, 08:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by blittle
The website description of the trans. on the 2008 450 talks about a "driver selectable" "comfort mode" whereby the trans. can be set start in 2nd gear or "2nd gear reverse?" I noticed the same description when they were decscribing the 07 450 as well..............my 07 450 does not seem to have this feature ( or I can't find it!) .......anybody else find this?
I remember that discussion with the 450. The feature you refer to is only available with ADSII I think and on the 450 the only way to get ADSII is to have the ORP option. It is activated by a rocker switch on the center console, 2nd position from the left. You probably have a blank button there. The ADSII is standard on the 550 without the ORP.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
I remember that discussion with the 450. The feature you refer to is only available with ADSII I think and on the 450 the only way to get ADSII is to have the ORP option. It is activated by a rocker switch on the center console, 2nd position from the left. You probably have a blank button there. The ADSII is standard on the 550 without the ORP.

Well.........I have the ORP and no rocker switch and no mention of this capability in the owners manual so I sort of figured MB had dreamed this up and then nixed it but failed to take it off the website ...... but when I saw it was still on the website for 08 I began to wonder if somehow I'm missing something because is talks about it as if it's standard regardless of ORP or not...............very confusing! Thanks for trying to clairify.......
Old 08-22-2007, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well.........I have the ORP and no rocker switch and no mention of this capability in the owners manual so I sort of figured MB had dreamed this up and then nixed it but failed to take it off the website ...... but when I saw it was still on the website for 08 I began to wonder if somehow I'm missing something because is talks about it as if it's standard regardless of ORP or not...............very confusing! Thanks for trying to clairify.......
The image attached shows the dash console with the ORP installed. Notice the 2nd button from the left, next to the heated seat logo. This is what we are talking about. If you don't have the ORP then this button is a blank. But since you do have the ORP, you should have an active button to change from comfort to sport. This changes not only the start in 1st or 2nd gear but also changes the suspension to a firmer one.

It is not standard and I agree the site is confusing as were the reviewers who also assumed it was standard.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
The image attached shows the dash console with the ORP installed. Notice the 2nd button from the left, next to the heated seat logo. This is what we are talking about. If you don't have the ORP then this button is a blank. But since you do have the ORP, you should have an active button to change from comfort to sport. This changes not only the start in 1st or 2nd gear but also changes the suspension to a firmer one.

It is not standard and I agree the site is confusing as were the reviewers who also assumed it was standard.

Uhmmmm.....ok, I do have that switch but thought it dealt with the suspension ONLY........I'm on my way out the door to investigate further....."the plot thickens!"
Old 08-22-2007, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
13 SL550, 14 E63 Wagon, 15 S550, 11 M3, 08 F430 Spider, 12 ML350
Uhmmmm.....ok, I do have that switch but thought it dealt with the suspension ONLY........I'm on my way out the door to investigate further....."the plot thickens!"
Isn't it the switch right next to the flasher triangle for the regular off road mode that all the GL's have that changes the transmission and engine program? The other one is for the enhanced off road package for air suspension control.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

OK......I started the vehicle and played with the switch marked "comfort" and "sport" located in the center console.........push it once and "sport" lights up, push it again and "comfort" lights up, push it again and all lights are off and according to the manual, the ads is now in "auto" mode and will adjust the suspension according to driving conditions. I cannot detect any effect on the operation of the transmission (forward or reverse).

Just for fun......I put in call to MB customer service: got Miss "I know everything" who started to describe the system that is found on most MB vehicles.....after I interuppted her twice and clearly described what I was reading on the MB site and in the GL450 brochure and what I was NOT finding in my drivers manual......she said "just give me a minute - I have it right here" more than a minute went by......she said, "sir.....I'm going to transfer you to one of our tech. people" She was very confused as to "comfort" and "sport" as it relates to the suspension and the same terms as they apply to the transmission. Now I'm the phone with the tech. who begins to describe the same system she did.....I do the same interupt....and he says "let me check my system" several minutes go by and he says "I see what you are seeing.........but I can't find any reference to the trans. in that vehicle actually doing that......I am going to have to get in touch with manufacturing reps and will give you a call back" So that's where I'm at now.........I really don't care a whole lot, but you would think someone at MB would want their literature and the website to reflect reality!
Old 08-22-2007, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jpeardm
Isn't it the switch right next to the flasher triangle for the regular off road mode that all the GL's have that changes the transmission and engine program? The other one is for the enhanced off road package for air suspension control.
The switch next to the heat logo with the little shock adjusts the ride from Comfort/2nd gear start or Firm (Sport)/1st gear start. It not only changes the air suspension, it also adjusts the transmission depending on which mode you select. Take your GL and set the switch to Comfort and drive it noting the transmission action and ride firmness. Then set the switch to Firm or Sport (or whatever they now call it on the button) and note the transmission action and ride firmness. There should be a difference...non-ADSII GL's do not have this option.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
I really don't care a whole lot, but you would think someone at MB would want their literature and the website to reflect reality!
One would expect that basic level of competency, wouldn't one?
Old 08-22-2007, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

OK......I started the vehicle and played with the switch marked "comfort" and "sport" located in the center console.........push it once and "sport" lights up, push it again and "comfort" lights up, push it again and all lights are off and according to the manual, the ads is now in "auto" mode and will adjust the suspension according to driving conditions. I cannot detect any effect on the operation of the transmission (forward or reverse).

Just for fun......I put in call to MB customer service: got Miss "I know everything" who started to describe the system that is found on most MB vehicles.....after I interuppted her twice and clearly described what I was reading on the MB site and in the GL450 brochure and what I was NOT finding in my drivers manual......she said "just give me a minute - I have it right here" more than a minute went by......she said, "sir.....I'm going to transfer you to one of our tech. people" She was very confused as to "comfort" and "sport" as it relates to the suspension and the same terms as they apply to the transmission. Now I'm the phone with the tech. who begins to describe the same system she did.....I do the same interupt....and he says "let me check my system" several minutes go by and he says "I see what you are seeing.........but I can't find any reference to the trans. in that vehicle actually doing that......I am going to have to get in touch with manufacturing reps and will give you a call back" So that's where I'm at now.........I really don't care a whole lot, but you would think someone at MB would want their literature and the website to reflect reality!
I had this option in my 2003 W211 and it worked this way exactly. The C mode is a softer ride and starts in 2nd gear. The S mode is a firmer ride and starts in 1st gear. My E had two levels of S mode which created a really firm ride. Also as I remember the shift points of the transmission are adjusted also.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by StevethePilot
One would expect that basic level of competency, wouldn't one?

Yeah.......sort of like the tech manual on a plane telling you can control the flaps but you find out there is confusion as to how or whether you really can or can't! Granted, this particular confusion (lack of compentency ) will not result in pain.......
Old 08-22-2007, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well I guess I must have really confused 'em cuz they haven't called back as of 10pm tonight.......................
Old 08-22-2007, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Granted, this particular confusion (lack of compentency ) will not result in pain.......
All depends on whether you them in the back of the noggin for knowin' nothin'!
Old 08-23-2007, 07:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I just noticed that specs. for the 550 on the MB website also contain the same "driver selectable" transmission "mumbo jumbo." I'm waiting to see if Customer Service calls me back today............not holding my breath.........what's really amazing is that they had no clue as to what "2nd gear reverse" refers to.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I just noticed that specs. for the 550 on the MB website also contain the same "driver selectable" transmission "mumbo jumbo." I'm waiting to see if Customer Service calls me back today............not holding my breath.........what's really amazing is that they had no clue as to what "2nd gear reverse" refers to.
Did you take your GL out and drive it in Comfort and Sport mode. Did you notice a quicker takeoff in Sport and feel a little firmer ride than when in Comfort? I am sure the transmission "mumbo jumbo" is part of this feature.

I have a C/S mode in my S Class (also ADSII) and although the suspension is more sophisticated (Active Body Control) it does exactly the same thing. Take off is fast (1st gear) and suspension is firm (S Mode) and slower on take off (2nd gear) and softer (C Mode.)

Last edited by Nevada Jack; 08-23-2007 at 08:23 AM.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NJ.....I drove the vehicle in each mode ( there are actually 3 modes - sport,comfort and automatic ) and found no perceptible difference in trans. behavior. I watched the tach. in each case and found no difference in rpms or shift points. I counted the shifts from takeoff and it was the same in each mode. Tried it several times. I suspect if you take your S out and do this you definitely will feel and see a difference. Here's my theory...........I think that since they included a "driver selectable" off-road program for all GL's - minus those that have the OR Package - the "driver selectable" start in 2nd gear program that is found in nearly all other MB products was eliminated from the GL BUT the people who write the descriptions for the web and brochures are not in tune. Now, the manual, however, makes no mention of 2nd gear startup/2nd gear reverse business whatsoever. I'm still waiting for MB to call back with a "clear description" of what we have!
Old 08-23-2007, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NJ.....I drove the vehicle in each mode ( there are actually 3 modes - sport,comfort and automatic ) and found no perceptible difference in trans. behavior. I watched the tach. in each case and found no difference in rpms or shift points. I counted the shifts from takeoff and it was the same in each mode. Tried it several times. I suspect if you take your S out and do this you definitely will feel and see a difference. Here's my theory...........I think that since they included a "driver selectable" off-road program for all GL's - minus those that have the OR Package - the "driver selectable" start in 2nd gear program that is found in nearly all other MB products was eliminated from the GL BUT the people who write the descriptions for the web and brochures are not in tune. Now, the manual, however, makes no mention of 2nd gear startup/2nd gear reverse business whatsoever. I'm still waiting for MB to call back with a "clear description" of what we have!
Thanks. There is definitely a difference in suspension and shifting in the S when in S or C mode. Your theory may be a good one for the GL. Really will be anxious to see the MBUSA version...:-)
Old 08-23-2007, 11:40 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
Why would an SUV need to start off in 2nd gear?
Old 08-23-2007, 12:14 PM

MBs
Originally Posted by AsianML
Why would an SUV need to start off in 2nd gear?

The GL is just like the 163 ML and doesn;t have the usual Mercedes W/S or C/S transmission mode switch.

Instead the GL with ORP has the LR low range button to shift into another transmission mode, like the 163 ML. On GLs without the ORP the OFFROAD button shifts into the other transmission mode, since it does not have low range.

Now let's wait and see what MBUSA finds out.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Wolfgang
The GL is just like the 163 ML and doesn;t have the usual Mercedes W/S or C/S transmission mode switch.
Isn't it more like the 164 ML, rather than the 163 ML? Not that I'd know, but the current ML and the GL share a 164 classification.

Oh, and a car might have to start in 2nd if 1st is a real granny-gear, max-torque-and/or-HP, off-the-light gearing, and also if maybe it's on ice or snow, or some other very slick situation.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:29 PM

MBs
Isn't it more like the 164 ML, rather than the 163 ML? Not that I'd know, but the current ML and the GL share a 164 classification.
True the new ML is a 164 like the GL.

But USA 164 MLs dont have ORP and therefore no LR low range button like blittle's GL450 w/ORP, whereas USA 163 MLs all have a low range button.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63

Oh, and a car might have to start in 2nd if 1st is a real granny-gear, max-torque-and/or-HP, off-the-light gearing, and also if maybe it's on ice or snow, or some other very slick situation.
I could understand a car (the sedans have the option to do that), but why an SUV?
Old 08-23-2007, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AsianML
I could understand a car (the sedans have the option to do that), but why an SUV?
Well ....... a good question IF your SUV is all-wheel- drive. However, some SUV's are 2 wheel drive with the option to shift to 4 wheel. THe GMC Yukon is basically that kind of setup and DOES ( or did in 2000 model) the ability to start off in 2nd gear while in wheel drive in order to provide better take off on slippery surfaces. MY question is............why does the GL literature and the website refer to this 2nd gear start up and 2nd gear reverse when there is clearly no such thing on this class? I'm still waiting to hear from them.........what are the odds I actually will?
Old 08-23-2007, 01:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
Well ....... a good question IF your SUV is all-wheel- drive. However, some SUV's are 2 wheel drive with the option to shift to 4 wheel. THe GMC Yukon is basically that kind of setup and DOES ( or did in 2000 model) the ability to start off in 2nd gear while in wheel drive in order to provide better take off on slippery surfaces. MY question is............why does the GL literature and the website refer to this 2nd gear start up and 2nd gear reverse when there is clearly no such thing on this class? I'm still waiting to hear from them.........what are the odds I actually will?
Yeah, but I'm referring to the GL when I saw SUV.

Another typo on MBs part? I think so. Are they hiring 1st graders to proofread their work?
Old 08-23-2007, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
I'm still waiting to hear from them.........what are the odds I actually will?
Slim to none.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Transmission question.....