GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Another Thread On Mats and Liners

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GL450
Another Thread On Mats and Liners

I few weeks ago there was a long thread on floor mats and cargo liners. I noticed that no one discussed the Mercedes Benz accessory, All Weather Floor Liners which we order with our GL. The 4 piece set (no third row) lists for $167 but our dealer sold them to us at their parts department cost since we ordered them with the truck. I think that saved about $30.

I have found that they are very nice. Since they have sides they really help keep wet shoe bottoms off the carpet. They fit well and conform to the floor well. The small grommet indent does not really hold them firmly in place however. They scuff and show dirt quite easily but then they also clean up very well.

The only thing that I have found that is a design flaw is that the mat does not extend up high enough on the floor where the driver would rest the left foot (if your tall) . I noticed that this area of carpet was already getting dirty after just 3 months. I also noticed a dirt/rub spot developing on the gas pedal side where shoes rub on the carpet on the side.

I have an old beige WeatherTech cargo liner from my mother-in-laws old Navigator so I cut some pieces from it to provide protection for the carpet. It doesn't look great but it is functional. I also used that old WeatherTech liner to cut 2 custom peices for the third row.

We also ordered the Cargo Area Tray (List is $110 without discount) for behind the third row. What I like about this is that it has full sides so in case of a real spill it would hold a lot of fluid. What I don't like about it is when the third row is folded down the front lip gets in the way and it gets smashed down by the cargo. Oh well, I guess you can't have everything perfect.

Gordon
Attached Thumbnails Another Thread On Mats and Liners-dscn9789.jpg   Another Thread On Mats and Liners-driver-labels.jpg   Another Thread On Mats and Liners-driver-pieces.jpg   Another Thread On Mats and Liners-dscn9793.jpg  
Old 08-26-2007, 02:53 PM

2007 GL450
Cargo Area Liner

Here are those pictures.
Attached Thumbnails Another Thread On Mats and Liners-dscn9818.jpg   Another Thread On Mats and Liners-dscn9819.jpg  
Old 08-26-2007, 03:05 PM

2008 C350
Those look soo much better than my weathertech liners. Those look great. Also, can you get the rear cargo liner in any other colors, like Ash or Macadamia?
Old 08-26-2007, 03:46 PM

2007 GL450
No, the cargo area liner only came in black.

Gordon
Old 08-26-2007, 03:48 PM

2010 S550, '10 Road glide, '10 Sportster "48"
I just got the weathertech
Old 08-26-2007, 06:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL450 (Alabaster White/Black Interior)
I have the MB all weather mats (not liners) and they fit perfectly and do not move at all. They also go up alot higher than the liners you have pictured. You may want to take a lot at them if you are not satisified with the liners.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:30 PM

2008 C350
Originally Posted by firefighter608
I just got the weathertech
Don't worry...the weathertechs are still pretty good. My biggest complaint is that the color of the rubber mats is darker than my interior (Macadamia).
Old 08-26-2007, 08:46 PM

2007 GL450
Beancounter,

I'm sorry I did not follow exactly what you are saying.

The All Weather Floor Liners that I have, go up on all four sides and become kind of a bowl and protect a portion of the vertical carpet next to the flat floor on all sides. They do lack the height on that one part of the floor by the drivers left foot.

The All Season Floor Mats that you have, look thicker and heavier but do not have that bowl effect. However, they do have that seperate extension that goes up that portion of the floor where the drivers left foot would rest.

It seems that both styles have their advantages and disadvantages.

Gordon
Attached Thumbnails Another Thread On Mats and Liners-all-weather-floor-liners.jpg   Another Thread On Mats and Liners-all-season-floor-mats.jpg  
Old 08-28-2007, 03:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 GL 350 blue tec
Originally Posted by gordongl450
Beancounter,

I'm sorry I did not follow exactly what you are saying.

The All Weather Floor Liners that I have, go up on all four sides and become kind of a bowl and protect a portion of the vertical carpet next to the flat floor on all sides. They do lack the height on that one part of the floor by the drivers left foot.

The All Season Floor Mats that you have, look thicker and heavier but do not have that bowl effect. However, they do have that seperate extension that goes up that portion of the floor where the drivers left foot would rest.

It seems that both styles have their advantages and disadvantages.

Gordon

the pictures you posted are for all season floor mats ? I have macedemia Interior and the delaer gave me black all season floor mats.. your pictures show mats in different colors is that true?
Old 08-28-2007, 04:32 PM

2007 GL450
I have "Liners"

infamily,

As you know MB has 2 types of waterproof floor coverings.

The rubber floor mats are sometimes calles All-Weather or All-Season Flloor Mats depending wher you are on the MB website. These basically have the same shape as the carpet floor "mats." The accessory page lists these for $91 and they come in 3 colors.

I have the All-Weather Floor Liners, which as the name says they "line" the floor in the foot well, meaning they come up the sides a bit. The accessory page lists these for $167 and they come in 3 colors. Those are my pictures.

I hope this clears it up.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:50 PM

2001 BMW 540i/6-speed, 2008 GL550
Gordon,

Two questions:

1) do you know if the WeatherTech or Husky floor liners (with the raised sides) cover more of the driver's footrest than the MB liners?
2) will the OEM carpeted mats fit over the liners? I like the feel of the carpet but want the protection underneath. I suppose I might have to cut holes in the liners, for the the carpet mat grommets.

regards,
Raj
Old 08-28-2007, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by sraj
will the OEM carpeted mats fit over the liners?
I know that you cannot use mats and liners together. It's either mats or liners. Go with both and use liners for rain/snow season and mats for spring/summer.

Or, even easier, move to SoCal and just worry about mats
Old 08-28-2007, 05:14 PM

2001 BMW 540i/6-speed, 2008 GL550
Wink

Originally Posted by oknish
I know that you cannot use mats and liners together. It's either mats or liners. Go with both and use liners for rain/snow season and mats for spring/summer.

Or, even easier, move to SoCal and just worry about mats
Problem is, where I live it rains in the spring/summer and snows/sleets in the winter. So that only leaves autumn for carpets! By the way, I lived in San Diego for 5 1/2 years, so I know the real deal about rain in SoCal!
Old 08-28-2007, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by sraj
Problem is, where I live it rains in the spring/summer and snows/sleets in the winter. So that only leaves autumn for carpets! By the way, I lived in San Diego for 5 1/2 years, so I know the real deal about rain in SoCal!
I lived in SC for a while so I know what you are talking about. Move back to SD and there will be no problem.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:08 PM

2007 GL450
sraj,

The WeatherTech mats appear in pictures have an extension to the left of the "split" in the mat that goes up the left hump where the driver would rest the foot. I've never actually seen a Weathertech "in person" and I've never seen a picture of Husky's.

I terms of the OEM carpets on top of the MB all-weather lines, I've never tried that. We had the truck delivered with the MB all-weather liners in place. The OEM carpets have never been on the floor.

My goal was to protect the macadamia colored floor carpet as much as I could, even up the sides, it is a relatively light color for the floors. The MB all-weather floor liners have done a great job. They were well worth the money.

Gordon
Old 09-23-2007, 01:18 PM

GL450
glad i found this thread!

I have the complete set of weathertech floor and cargo liners in my shopping basket. I'd rather get the factory MB floor liners at least in the front and second row. Seeing as I splurged on the illuminated doors sills, I'd rather have Mercedes Benz on the floor liner than Weathertech. However I can't find an online source for the MB liners. Can anyone help? I would than order the third row and cargo liners from Weathertech. I wish MB made a cargo liner to cover the load space when the third row seats were down.

Last questions, I'm thinking of getting black liners for my ash interior. We had black liners in our tan interior Land Rover and it made maintenance a little easier. Think it would look bad?
Old 09-23-2007, 03:15 PM

06 CLS500
I've had WeatherTech liners in my last 3 vehicles. I would recognize them anywhere and those MB Liners are WeatherTech.

That MB floormat IS a WeatherTech product (probably just made for MB by WeatherTech). Even the MB tag on the mat is in the same place and same size as the WeatherTech mat.

I'm taking delivery of my GL this week and was just online to get my liners ordered so I'll have them on day one. I doubt the MB liner covers any better or worse, because its the same product (can't verify that 100%, but I'd bet $$ on it).

Anyway, the MB liners would be cool if I can get them reasonable enough (they have the MB logo and everything)... if not, I'll get them from WeatherTech.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:47 PM

2007 GL450
HoustonRider,

Yes, I believe you are correct, the MB Weather Liners and the WeatherTech's are the same design. On the bottom side of our MB floor liners there is a stamp with the company that actually makes them for MB and that stamp says MacNeil Automotive Products, Ltd..

When I was on the WeatherTech website 4 months ago I would swear that this design was not available witrh WeatherTech. This is a recent addition to the WeatherTech line. I know, because I was searching for 3rd row protection and could not find it anywhere!

Anyway, for 1st and 2nd row protection the Weathertech price is $159. The MB price is $167. Not much more. When we ordered our liners we did so at the time we ordered the truck so the dealer sold us the liners at their parts department cost which I can't remember exactly, but was about $145.

I am going to consider getting the WeatherTech 3rd row in beige, now that I see it is available.

Gordon
Old 09-23-2007, 09:06 PM

06 CLS500
I think I'm gonna see if my dealer has the MB liners (just for the MB logo).. but I'm gonna need the cargo liner as well (3rd seat folded down).. I'll see if they have it, if not, I'll check WeatherTech.

I've had these fitted liners a while, although I would like them to ride up the sides a bit more to cover the foot rest and wheelwell (same issue on my Armada and my 2500HD), I'm not sure why WT doesn't step them up a bit.

We will see.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:22 PM

2007 GL450
I agree. If your going to make linings that fit the form of the foot well, you might as well bring them up the sides a little more.

You saw the images of my modification/additions for more protection on the drivers side?

Gordon
Old 09-23-2007, 09:33 PM

GL450
Originally Posted by gordongl450
HoustonRider,

Yes, I believe you are correct, the MB Weather Liners and the WeatherTech's are the same design. On the bottom side of our MB floor liners there is a stamp with the company that actually makes them for MB and that stamp says MacNeil Automotive Products, Ltd..
Thanks guys. I thought they looked similar. My father-in-law is benz guy and highly recommended weathertech. If I can find the MB branded ones locally I'll go that route. I'm still leaning towards black.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by 85mm
Last questions, I'm thinking of getting black liners for my ash interior. We had black liners in our tan interior Land Rover and it made maintenance a little easier. Think it would look bad?
IMO, Black liners/mats will not look bad with Ash. I had a C class loaner that had Ash interior with Black mats and they actually provide a nice contrast to each other. Black will even go with Mac interior as I saw when I took a ride in BoxBoss's GL. While I don't think his mats were Black but they were a dark brown and it also looked nice.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:21 AM

GL450
IMO, Black liners/mats will not look bad with Ash. I had a C class loaner that had Ash interior with Black mats and they actually provide a nice contrast to each other. Black will even go with Mac interior as I saw when I took a ride in BoxBoss's GL. While I don't think his mats were Black but they were a dark brown and it also looked nice.
I called my nearest dealer and they had the black liner set along with the MB convertible cargo liner. They were nice enough to let me see how they looked in my truck before I decided. I'll post pictures tomorrow but as oknish advised, black liners do look good in the ash interior. Besides easier maintenance I thought selling off a black set after my lease ends would be easier than an ash one with a bunch of scuffs on it. The black on the command system and other parts of the dash tie in with it well up front. In the rear, the black rear entertainment and my black and grey child seats and protective covers also work well with the black floor liners.

The factory convertible cargo cover was a disappointment. I thought the flap was large enough to cover the load space when the third row seats were down. It looked more like it was just long enough to cover the rear bumpers for when you loaded long items. It was also mostly made of fabric. So I passed on those and ordered the black third row floor liners and black two piece cargo liner from weathertech.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
85 - if you got kids, go with Black. I speak from experience. You will have your hands full keeping the seats clean so Black liners/mats will reduce the work
Old 09-25-2007, 12:34 AM

GL450
85 - if you got kids, go with Black. I speak from experience. You will have your hands full keeping the seats clean so Black liners/mats will reduce the work
thanks, i did get the black ones. i have a 2 and 4 year old but all that diaper duty is starting to pay off : )

http://bigsmiles.smugmug.com/photos/192948186-L.jpg

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Another Thread On Mats and Liners