GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

GL 320 CDI Delivery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 335 Conv.; MB GL 320CDI
GL 320 CDI Delivery

I am supposed to take delivery of an 08 GL 320 at the end of October. Should I have a VIN # yet or some other id number to designate when the car will be built and delivered? With my wife's BMW 335 convert., I could log on to the BMW site and see its development progress from order-to-build-to- ship-to-delivery. Considering some of the shenanigans that dealers pull (and the high demand for this vehicle) and the fact that my Audi A6 is off lease on December 1, I want to make sure the vehicle will in fact be delivered.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by jongaines
I am supposed to take delivery of an 08 GL 320 at the end of October. Should I have a VIN # yet or some other id number to designate when the car will be built and delivered? With my wife's BMW 335 convert., I could log on to the BMW site and see its development progress from order-to-build-to- ship-to-delivery. Considering some of the shenanigans that dealers pull (and the high demand for this vehicle) and the fact that my Audi A6 is off lease on December 1, I want to make sure the vehicle will in fact be delivered.
Your rep can track your vehicle progress for you but that depends on how much information he wants to provide. The PO# is how the car is tracked by the dealers.

The VIN is assigned shortly before the production cycle, in fact it is the start of the production cycle. With a late October build you may not see a VIN assigned until the middle of October. However, build dates are a mystery in most cases so just keep on your dealer for information.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:53 AM

BMW 335 Conv.; MB GL 320CDI
Got it..thanks
Old 09-05-2007, 10:55 AM

NJ Edison, ACURA TL , GL450
MAke sure

Just make sure that you stay on your Rep's tail. I had custom ordered the 450 and they quitely sold it to someone 5 days before they told me it was being delivered (took 3 months for delivery). I ended up with RSE (additional 2500) just because the dealer had agreed on a deal he didn't like later. (1000 below inv.)
Old 09-05-2007, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Originally Posted by jongaines
I agree with NJ and GLDriver. Stay on your rep's tail like a hawk.

My rep has promised me he'll always keep me in the loop as my 550 progresses through the MB process. But, just yesterday, I received a note that not only is my 550 not B3 any longer, it's actually completed production and is sitting in Chicago awaiting a train to Denver. So, somehow, my truck skipped about 4 code stages before I was notified. Oh, by the way, he also gave me my VIN# too.

So, from my perspective, you're never gonna know, unless you just bug the heck out of your rep, or you buy your vehicle from NJ's rep. He keeps his customer's informed consistently and accurately.