GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

TPMS/wheel and tire insurance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GL 320 CDI, 2008 M5
TPMS/wheel and tire insurance

Today I got a new bleb about 3 cm. in diameter on the sidewall of my right front Continental 19" tire.

The dealer says he has never seen one like this without the tire having been run flat. The TPMS never alerted me that the pressure was low, and the tire never looked flat or low on air. There is no damage to the rim to suggest trauma from a curb strike.

The dealer had to order a tire from the warehouse and gave me a C240 to drive.

They did not even address fault vs. defect in the tire and plan to use the road hazard coverage I bought with the truck.

I'll post later about how well this coverage worked, since it has been a topic of previous interest.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:09 AM

2007 GL 320 CDI, 2008 M5
Originally Posted by oinick
Today I got a new bleb about 3 cm. in diameter on the sidewall of my right front Continental 19" tire.

The dealer says he has never seen one like this without the tire having been run flat. The TPMS never alerted me that the pressure was low, and the tire never looked flat or low on air. There is no damage to the rim to suggest trauma from a curb strike.

The dealer had to order a tire from the warehouse and gave me a C240 to drive.

They did not even address fault vs. defect in the tire and plan to use the road hazard coverage I bought with the truck.

I'll post later about how well this coverage worked, since it has been a topic of previous interest.
Got the GL 320 back yesterday without a hitch and with the new tire placed. NO cost to me as I had bought the road hazard wheel and tire package. Really easy, especially since the dealer loaned me a C240 to drive.

They were aware of the "emissions recall" concerning the diesel engine hose issue and took care of it while it was in.

All in all, I'd have to say the wheel and tire package was worth the money, since the bill for the tire replacment was $309 and the cost of the protection was $599.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 185 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by oinick
All in all, I'd have to say the wheel and tire package was worth the money, since the bill for the tire replacment was $309 and the cost of the protection was $599.
So far your insurance company is ahead!
Old 09-16-2007, 01:56 PM

2007 GL 320 CDI, 2008 M5
Originally Posted by lkchris
So far your insurance company is ahead!
Yes, but I've got 88,000 miles and/or three and a half years to use it again.