Just to confuse people...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
The AMG myth and the Badge

Most on these forums understand the meaning of AMG on the trunk. It means a special kind of MB with hand made engines and a host of other refinements as well as fine performance. It also means a lot of greenbacks above the norm and a lot of depreciation within a year. Other than those minor points, it has a nice looking logo...

I for one have been a non-poser advocate and have not supported badging non-AMG vehicles with a AMG logo. But the GL550 has tested my principles and you know what...I really don't give a damn anymore about the AMG diety. I like the logo and I don't like the 4Matic on the back. So I have two choices...remove the 4Matic and leave it blank or replace it with the AMG logo. Those that know will say "poser", those that don't will say "what is an AMG" and I will say "I like the AMG logo on my GL550." I like my answer better.

So flame me and tell me I am committing heresy...I can't hear you...
Old 09-30-2007, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by dsunnym1
Maybe MB should not include AMG styling on there cars
anymore unless they have the engine as well??
There are two camps to this debate also, dsunnym1. The "purist" view is that an AMG body kit (sans the engine) does not make really make a car AMG. It needs the engine, brakes and everything else to make a car truly AMG.

I say do what you want to do to you car and if someone has a problem with it then it's their problem
Old 09-30-2007, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1972 Chevy Vega 2300 - Panel Express
Originally Posted by mbslk350
About 95% of the people on the road won't know or care what AMG means. The other 5% will know exactly what AMG means and they'll know you faked it. That adds up to 100% who won't be impressed.
Exactly. Well said!
Old 09-30-2007, 03:27 PM

2008 GL550 Obsidian Black/Black
Well, i had my GL for about 3 weeks now(with the AMG badge on). As someone said before, the majority of people don't know/care what AMG stands for, very few know that there is no AMG GL but everyone have the same opinion: the GL550 is an AWESOME truck! They love the aggressive stance, the wheels, the tasteful body kit, even the grill(I'm surprised that non GL owners noticed the different grill from the 450). Adding the badge in no way distracted people from the vehicle itself.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
No,

But most of the exterior styling
that differs the 550 from the 450 did!

So what is so wrong in complamenting the rest of the
AMG styling pack with A Badge?

Maybe MB should not include AMG styling on there cars
anymore unless they have the engine as well??
That too can be considered posing as well... IMO
The exterior styling additions on the GL550 came from Affalterbach? Do you have anything to back this up? How would you know that the GL550 styling is any similar to a GL63 AMG (which doesn't even exist, yet), and is close enough to the real deal to warrant a badge?

As for your last paragraph, that's not what I'm saying at all. If you look closely and pay attention, the sport packages on normal new models look nothing alike compared to their respective AMG models.

http://www.mercedes-amg.com/index2.html Look at the About AMG section and you'll know why the real AMGs are so special and why they have that badge there.

It's your car, do what you want. I'm just voicing my opinion on the matter.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AsianML
The exterior styling additions on the GL550 came from Affalterbach? Do you have anything to back this up? How would you know that the GL550 styling is any similar to a GL63 AMG (which doesn't even exist, yet), and is close enough to the real deal to warrant a badge?

As for your last paragraph, that's not what I'm saying at all. If you look closely and pay attention, the sport packages on normal new models look nothing alike compared to their respective AMG models.

http://www.mercedes-amg.com/index2.html Look at the About AMG section and you'll know why the real AMGs are so special and why they have that badge there.

It's your car, do what you want. I'm just voicing my opinion on the matter.
If MB had plans to build a GL63 then they would have never (and I mean never) taken the step to put genuine AMG wheels on it. In addition they would not have redesigned the grille, added flares and the other body moldings to give it the distinction of a AMG model. This should be called the GL AMG Lite model. It looks like a AMG package but without the performance "innards."

The AMG models are special cars for those special few who can afford all that power but never use it. For those who can afford to take a depreciation hit after the first year which in itself is enough to buy another MB. It is just a car...a very nice one, but just a car.

The GL550 does not "warrant a badge," but it sure looks nice with one on the tailgate.

BTW...the S63 or 65 body moldings (as well as other models) are very similar to my S550 AMG package with some very minor exceptions. That is why the option is called AMG Package.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
If MB had plans to build a GL63 then they would have never (and I mean never) taken the step to put genuine AMG wheels on it. In addition they would not have redesigned the grille, added flares and the other body moldings to give it the distinction of a AMG model. This should be called the GL AMG Lite model. It looks like a AMG package but without the performance "innards."
So you're implying that there is a GL AMG in the future? Then why would it be "okay" or correct to have an AMG badge on the GL550, when it's really the GL AMG that would be getting it?

The AMG models are special cars for those special few who can afford all that power but never use it. For those who can afford to take a depreciation hit after the first year which in itself is enough to buy another MB. It is just a car...a very nice one, but just a car.

The GL550 does not "warrant a badge," but it sure looks nice with one on the tailgate.

BTW...the S63 or 65 body moldings (as well as other models) are very similar to my S550 AMG package with some very minor exceptions. That is why the option is called AMG Package.
They're similar, but they're not the exact same, especially nowadays as the AMG sport packages have different designs from the AMG models. Back then, they were pretty much exact copies and made it harder to tell the difference.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AsianML
So you're implying that there is a GL AMG in the future? Then why would it be "okay" or correct to have an AMG badge on the GL550, when it's really the GL AMG that would be getting it?

They're similar, but they're not the exact same, especially nowadays as the AMG sport packages have different designs from the AMG models. Back then, they were pretty much exact copies and made it harder to tell the difference.
To the contrary...I am saying there is NO plan for a GL63 since they put their AMG design efforts into the GL550. An owner doesn't need an "okay" or "be correct" to put a AMG logo on their car...it is the same when I put a foxtail on my 1950 Studebaker...I did it because I wanted to...:-)

Back then..? I am talking about a 2007 S550 AMG package. The S63 or S65 is so similar some people cannot tell the difference.

Last edited by Nevada Jack; 09-30-2007 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
To the contrary...I am saying there is NO plan for a GL63 since they put their AMG design efforts into the GL550.
Gotcha.

Back then..? I am talking about a 2007 S550 AMG package. The S63 or S65 is so similar some people cannot tell the difference.
W220, W215, W163, etc. back then.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
There will be no GL 63 AMG. An interview with Volker Moringweg confirmed this when he took over AMG. He said that he felt that AMG was being put on too many models like the R and ML and that in the future Mercedes-AMG won't do this.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by GL Fahrer
Exactly. Well said!
Well said but who cares? A AMG logo on a few GL550's really has no effect on anything does it.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:58 PM

08 S-550 & 08 GL-550
I have always been a purist!
Out of all the cars I have ever owned to many to list!!
never had I try to represent them as something other
then what they were.

And that is definatley not what I intend to do with my 550.
I just think that being MB decided to add AMG styling to the 550.
And we paid dearly for that styling,

It is no big deal to add a AMG Badge for only asthethics.
After all we do have A AMG package from factory.!
Old 09-30-2007, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have always been a purist!
Out of all the cars I have ever owned to many to list!!
never had I try to represent them as something other
then what they were.

And that is definatley not what I intend to do with my 550.
I just think that being MB decided to add AMG styling to the 550.
And we paid dearly for that styling,

It is no big deal to add a AMG Badge for only asthethics.
After all we do have A AMG package from factory.!
To quote from an earlier post...."Well Said."

I'm with you on this one...
Old 09-30-2007, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Subject to Change..

Subject to Change Without Notice:

Old 09-30-2007, 06:09 PM

2008 C350
Subject to Change Without Notice:

I've thought about takin mine off...
Old 09-30-2007, 06:11 PM

08 S-550 & 08 GL-550
To quote from an earlier post...."Well Said."

I'm with you on this one...
Thanks NJ!

By The way , I was Reveiwng you recent pics
of your 550,, She is one Hott looking 550!! Great pics and awsome detail!

How about a AMG badge on me?
You know what , ***k it AMG badges for everyone on me!!! Lol

Last edited by dsunnym1; 09-30-2007 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks NJ!

By The way , I was Reveiwng you recent pics
of your 550,, She is one Hott looking 550!! Great pics and awsome detail!

How about a AMG badge on me?
You know what , ***k it AMG badges for everyone on me!!! Lol
Don't get carried away now...:-) Thanks for the kudos on the pics.

(QUOTE)How about a AMG badge on me?
You now what , ***k it AMG badges for everyone on me!!! Lol

Great line....ROTFLMAO
Old 09-30-2007, 06:34 PM

08 S-550 & 08 GL-550
Don't get carried away now...:-) Thanks for the kudos on the pics.

(QUOTE)How about a AMG badge on me?
You now what , ***k it AMG badges for everyone on me!!! Lol

Great line....ROTFLMAO

Glad to make you laugh,

Anyway my 550 will be going into the
body shop tommorow for 3 days to have that darn scratch repaired!($900 bucks)
it makes my blood boil when I think of it!!

I think I will pick up the you know what from the dealer
and drop it off to the bodyshop so they can install it and do away with the
4matic.

Will post pics after all said and done......
Old 09-30-2007, 06:36 PM

'16 528i MSport
Make sure to put the Brabus and Carlsson logos on the both sides of the front fenders and the AMG kompressor emblem would look great too....
Old 09-30-2007, 07:32 PM

MB

Does the fact that vehicles with AMG appearance packages do not come labelled as such contradict the argument that the GL550 should be labelled in this way? Do we have any evidence that AMG played any role in the design of this vehicle? By the way my G500 had AMG rims standard- no Kompressor though

I certainly fall in the purist category, but this is just opinion. Please everyone, enjoy these fine vehicles as you see fit!
Old 09-30-2007, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
I think the funniest fake I ever saw was a car that said "C55 4Matic." The car was a luxury sedan C-Class. I couldn't believe it, I saw it at school in the parking garage.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:14 PM

06 CLS500
technically, we are ALL posers.... we don't have to buy a MB...lol...I could buy a Toyota or Nissan for half of this and it gets me to the same place.

so, whats the "line" you cross to be a "poser"? If you bought an MB, you're not pretending to own one. (MB logo on a Chevy for example). Seems he just "upgraded" without all the options.. big deal.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:05 PM

S550 & ML500
Thumbs down

Poser!
Old 09-30-2007, 10:06 PM

08 S-550 & 08 GL-550
Originally Posted by DaCeptak0n
Make sure to put the Brabus and Carlsson logos on the both sides of the front fenders and the AMG kompressor emblem would look great too....
Now you went and done it,
your not gonna get a badge now!!!lol
Old 09-30-2007, 11:14 PM
MJH

2007 CL550 Black/Savanna Cashmere, fully loaded; 2006 Navigator; 2005 Corvette (Sold)
To the contrary...I am saying there is NO plan for a GL63 since they put their AMG design efforts into the GL550. An owner doesn't need an "okay" or "be correct" to put a AMG logo on their car...it is the same when I put a foxtail on my 1950 Studebaker...I did it because I wanted to...:-)

You should definately do it, Jack! If I can add roof rails to a CL550 you certainly can add tha AMG badge. Then you too can enjoy the friendly waves from the "purists". It is however, an odd wave... not all the fingers are extended...

(Actually, I really do think it would be a fine finishing touch, go for it! Like you have said before--you don't justify your purchases--if you like it--you get it)!

Last edited by MJH; 09-30-2007 at 11:24 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just to confuse people...