GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Mud Flaps with Running Board

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gl450
Mud Flaps with Running Board

I understand that MB Mud flaps will not fit in front with running boards.

Did anyone try to instal generica brand? If yes, link would be helpfull.

thanks
Old 10-13-2007, 01:54 PM

'08 GL 320CDI
Originally Posted by djdejavu

thanks
I was told the same thing by my salesman. I ordered my vehicle with front and rear flaps and no running boards. A while back, I saw a picture online (can't remember where) of a GL with front and rear flaps and the chrome tubular step bars that looked really sharp. I may yet do that myself.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by djdejavu

thanks
Originally Posted by JDT1
I was told the same thing by my salesman. I ordered my vehicle with front and rear flaps and no running boards. A while back, I saw a picture online (can't remember where) of a GL with front and rear flaps and the chrome tubular step bars that looked really sharp. I may yet do that myself.
The OEM mudflaps will work with the chrome tubular running boards, but will not with the "PE" version boards. I don't know about aftermarket flaps with the PE boards. The issue is the PE boards use the mounting points for the front flaps. I suppose you could find some way to attach the flaps by drilling/tapping or clipping to the front wheel well shields, but I doubt it would be very sturdy.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:02 PM
Almost a Member!

Our white GL550 gets so dirty around the wheel wells both front and back as soon drive after washing it. I think that the AMG tires probably make things worse than the standard tires. It is so frustrating as any visible dirt on my vehicles drives me crazy. Besides taking a chill pill what are my realistic options?

I am seriously considering putting on the tubular running boards (which I like the looks of much better anyway) and then putting the MB mudflaps on. Has anyone with a white GL tried this option and did it help?

Thanks for your help!
Old 11-18-2007, 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Originally Posted by S550 & GL550
Our white GL550 gets so dirty around the wheel wells both front and back as soon drive after washing it. I think that the AMG tires probably make things worse than the standard tires. It is so frustrating as any visible dirt on my vehicles drives me crazy. Besides taking a chill pill what are my realistic options?

I am seriously considering putting on the tubular running boards (which I like the looks of much better anyway) and then putting the MB mudflaps on. Has anyone with a white GL tried this option and did it help?

Thanks for your help!
I'm afraid I'm no help for you, but if you get those tubular boards, I can't wait to see them on your 550.

Good luck on your search for solution.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:38 AM

GL550
I understand you can put the rears on, which is what my parts guy ordered for me. My dealer will be installing them in a week or two.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:06 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Chicky Monkey
I understand you can put the rears on, which is what my parts guy ordered for me. My dealer will be installing them in a week or two.
Please let us know when you get them on and how they work. Thanks!
Old 12-03-2007, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
MBUSA statement on Mud Flaps for 550

Here is the reply I received from MBUSA on GL550 mud flaps:

Thank you for contacting the Mercedes-Benz Customer Assistance Center.

The rear mudflaps can be fitted to your vehicle (GL550) with or without
running boards. The front mudflaps, however cannot be installed if the
running boards are on the vehicle. While the fender flares and/or tires
may differ from the GL450, it is a factory fit. The part number is
B66528237.

The opportunity to respond is appreciated.

Sincerely,

Robert M.
Case Manager
Old 12-03-2007, 07:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GL 450
Hey that's great news. I was actually told that but my dealer (although they also went back and forth) and so I left them on order hoping to see a post before I take delivery (hopefully any day now!!). I think I will go ahead now and have them installed. I just need to make sure the technician is sure he knows how to do it correctly on the 550. I will post pics if/when unless someone gets to it first.

Thanks for the clarification NJ.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:59 PM

GL550
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
Here is the reply I received from MBUSA on GL550 mud flaps:

Thank you for contacting the Mercedes-Benz Customer Assistance Center.

The rear mudflaps can be fitted to your vehicle (GL550) with or without
running boards. The front mudflaps, however cannot be installed if the
running boards are on the vehicle. While the fender flares and/or tires
may differ from the GL450, it is a factory fit. The part number is
B66528237.

The opportunity to respond is appreciated.

Sincerely,

Robert M.
Case Manager
Grrrrr.

I am dropping the GL at the dealer tomorrow for go around #2 installing the lighted door sills. I've printed the response you got and I'm going to ask the service manager for an explanation why they told me this couldn't be done.

Thanks for the ammo, NJ!
Old 12-03-2007, 10:47 PM

2013 GL 450
go get'em girl
Old 12-04-2007, 09:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Chicky Monkey
Grrrrr.

I am dropping the GL at the dealer tomorrow for go around #2 installing the lighted door sills. I've printed the response you got and I'm going to ask the service manager for an explanation why they told me this couldn't be done.

Thanks for the ammo, NJ!
Pictures when you get them installed Chicky...saw them on the 450, now want to see on a 550.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:22 PM

GL550
Ok, here's what my dealer said today:

I gave him Jack's answer from MB. My dealer said they would look into it. What they told me after checking it out was that although the rear muds can technically be put on the 550, they do not look good and there is some kind of a "gap" because of the fender flares.

I told him I didn't want to be the guinea pig and please don't install them.

So, if anyone else is brave enough let us know and post a photo!
Old 12-05-2007, 07:05 AM

2013 GL 450
I will have my dealer hold them in place and show me what they will look like. If acceptable I'll do it. Should be any day now before delivery!!!
Old 12-05-2007, 08:38 AM

GL550
Originally Posted by patsy1099
Should be any day now before delivery!!!
Ooooo! I'm so excited for you! I don't know how you stand it, reading all the posts here about us driving/enjoying our GLs. It must be painful for you to have to wait! LOL!

I can't wait to hear all about it!
Old 12-06-2007, 06:16 AM

2013 GL 450
Thanks Chicky. I just posted another thread, my GL is coming tomorrow!! Woo hoo! It's been a gruelling wait but living vicariously through you guys has helped a lot. Thanks.

Back to the flaps. I was at the dealer last night for a test drive (my wife) and the dealer showed me how the mud flaps would look on a 450 (not a 550) but then explained how the flares would make them look weird. My salesman was very againt it. I'm still not totally convinced that he knows what he's talking about but maybe he's right. He said not to do it for looks because the 550 already had the 21's and the flares and didn't need it. He also didn't think they were needed (or would be effective) for stopping spray. He also said that the molded rubber just behind the flares wouldn't scratch or chip very easily, which is why they design it that way.

Not a 100% convinced but I think I've been swayed enough to wait and digest the new toy, with assorted chrome, and reevaluate later.

Did I already mention my 550 was coming TOMORROW!
Old 12-08-2007, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Snow Boards

The Rockies are getting slammed today with white stuff, but the front range mountains are only getting light snow.

I thought folks might like to see what happens to the running boards without any mud flaps. They turn into snow boards quite nicely!

Anyway, the 21" AMG's did a nice job today. I-70 was snow packed with virtually no slush and the 550 maneuvered through it just fine. It didn't plow at all today and I was traveling around 55 - 60 mph.

Nish... when can your detailer get here to clean my truck? Tell him the Christmas lights look beautiful with new fallen snow.
Attached Thumbnails Mud Flaps with Running Board-snow-board-1.jpg   Mud Flaps with Running Board-snow-board-2.jpg  
Old 12-09-2007, 04:52 AM

NJ Edison, ACURA TL , GL450
part number

For rear flaps, can it be installed easily ? Does any one have part number ?
Old 12-09-2007, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by GLDriver
For rear flaps, can it be installed easily ? Does any one have part number ?
See post #8 on this thread for the part number. I think it is a dealer install but not sure.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by Stumblefoot
Nish... when can your detailer get here to clean my truck? Tell him the Christmas lights look beautiful with new fallen snow.
I showed your pics to John today, Stumble, and he said something about meeting you in Mexico. Let me know when you can head down and we will make a road trip out of it. It was down to low 60s today and our Christmas parade was canceled. Kid you I not. So, please, enough snow talk. Like NJ, I also love to view the snow as long as it very far from me
Old 12-10-2007, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Originally Posted by oknish
It was down to low 60s today and our Christmas parade was canceled. Kid you I not.
The extremes are so funny aren't they?

Your Christmas parade gets cancelled because it's chilly. Last year, our major small town event on new year's eve "Skate the Lake" was cancelled, because the ice was only 10" thick. They were 2" short. Had never happened before in the history of the event.

It's funny... we can't get cold enough and the opposite is true in your neck of the woods.

See you in Mexico!
Old 12-10-2007, 02:01 PM

E320 & GL450
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
See post #8 on this thread for the part number. I think it is a dealer install but not sure.
The part number for the rear flaps is 6-6-52-8237. Got the set from parts and with NO instructions and the installation does not look trivial. So, I am going to bite the bullet and have the dealer techs install. My advisor advised this (pun??) so they would be responsible for scew-ups. Maybe?
Old 12-10-2007, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Originally Posted by tm4exc
The I am going to bite the bullet and have the dealer techs install. My advisor advised this (pun??) so they would be responsible for scew-ups. Maybe?
You are one brave soul.

Good luck!

Of course... pics please when you are finished.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:56 PM

'08 GL 320CDI
Originally Posted by tm4exc
The part number for the rear flaps is 6-6-52-8237. Got the set from parts and with NO instructions and the installation does not look trivial. So, I am going to bite the bullet and have the dealer techs install. My advisor advised this (pun??) so they would be responsible for scew-ups. Maybe?
When I ordered my '08 GL, I ordered it with both front and rear flaps. Turned out that the dealer could only install the rear flaps, as they could not fit the front ones correctly. MB has since come out with new front flaps that fit the 08's better which I bought from an aftermarket company for a little less. I got to talking to a body shop rep (my wifes Prius was in the shop) and he said to bring in the new flaps and he'd have someone in the body shop install them instead of the service dept. where they charge you your first born. Didn't cost me anything other than a $15 tip. On another issue I had, my service advisor even suggested speaking with the body shop to get a better price. Very accommodating Toyota/Mercedes dealership.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Originally Posted by JDT1
When I ordered my '08 GL, I ordered it with both front and rear flaps. Turned out that the dealer could only install the rear flaps, as they could not fit the front ones correctly. MB has since come out with new front flaps that fit the 08's better which I bought from an aftermarket company for a little less. I got to talking to a body shop rep (my wifes Prius was in the shop) and he said to bring in the new flaps and he'd have someone in the body shop install them instead of the service dept. where they charge you your first born. Didn't cost me anything other than a $15 tip. On another issue I had, my service advisor even suggested speaking with the body shop to get a better price. Very accommodating Toyota/Mercedes dealership.
JDT, there are no flaps that work for the front of a 550 from what MB has told us. See post #8 above; https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....45&postcount=8. And, the rears appear to not work/look very well.

Were you referring to flaps for a 550, or your 320?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mud Flaps with Running Board