GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

50 state diesel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 F-250, 2007 GL450
50 state diesel

Autoweek reported today that MB plans 50 state diesel GL’s by late 2008. Other models will get 50 state diesels by then as well. I guess it’s good news for some. But, I hate to see them cave in to the out of control California Air Resources Board. This will only encourage the *******s.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:45 PM

1972 Chevy Vega 2300 - Panel Express
Originally Posted by GL Troll
... But, I hate to see them cave in to the out of control California Air Resources Board. This will only encourage the *******s.
"...cave in"? The CARB standards are being adopted by new states every year. this year 8 states, next year 11, then 15 etc. M-B is adopting BlueTec (with AdBlue) so that they can sell diesel SUV's in all 50 states.
This is the introduction of "Clean Diesel" with the addition of AdBlue to the current system which is used in Mercedes trucks in Europe today.
This is a good thing...next year I can buy and register a GL320 Diesel in New York and California.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by GL Fahrer
"...cave in"? The CARB standards are being adopted by new states every year. this year 8 states, next year 11, then 15 etc. M-B is adopting BlueTec (with AdBlue) so that they can sell diesel SUV's in all 50 states.
This is the introduction of "Clean Diesel" with the addition of AdBlue to the current system which is used in Mercedes trucks in Europe today.
This is a good thing...next year I can buy and register a GL320 Diesel in New York and California.
How about a diesel E wagon GL....when is MB going to realize this is a very desired car here.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:15 PM

2007 GL 320 CDI, 2008 M5
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
How about a diesel E wagon GL....when is MB going to realize this is a very desired car here.
Check, NJ. If MB offered an AWD diesel wagon, I wouldn't be driving a GL today.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:03 PM

Currently Driving a BMW 325 Sport Wagon
The diesel E Wagon would ROCK!!!!!

Old 10-16-2007, 05:45 PM

2008 F-250, 2007 GL450
Cave in – as in now CARB can say: “see, MB did it so what we’re asking must be reasonable”. One of the schemes CARB (California Air Resources Board) is trying to hatch would force truckers to replace their engines. This is the agency that gave us Smog Check 2 which subjects cars to tests that weren’t required at the time of manufacture. Not many people think dirty air is OK, but these folks will never know when to quit. Unchecked, they would by now have confiscated all the old buckets that poor people are forced to drive. These cars aren’t driven many miles anyway. End of rant.

Re: E wagon
I don’t know if the wagons sell that well in the first place. Guess the market doesn’t appreciate a great thing. It seems to me though that since they plan on selling diesel E sedans the cost of doing wagons as well would be minimal.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:54 PM

1972 Chevy Vega 2300 - Panel Express
I couldn't agree more. The E-Wagon is hands down, my favorite vehicle made by Mercedes-Benz.
The problem is that (Gen X) Americans consider the "Station Wagon" to be their parents car, and just don't want to be seen driving it. Just like (Gen Y) Americans don't want to be seen driving a "Minivan"

The U.S. market has traditionally restricted itself to three volume types.
Twenty-five years ago it was the Passenger car, Station wagon and Pick-up truck
Fifteen years ago, it was the Passenger car, Minivan and Pick-up truck
Five years ago it was the Passenger car, Minivan and SUV.
Now it's the Passenger car, Crossover and SUV

The C-Wagon was such a retail dissapointment that it was dropped with MY'06.
And now the E-Wagon has become a "niche" vehicle only which sells at a VERY low volume to very affluent people only. It also doesn't help that the MSRP on a MY'08 E350 Wagon 4WD is higher than the GL450. And with the diesel coming ~$3000 extra, I just don't see the E-Diesel coming to the U.S.